News:

Testimonial: "PD is the home of Pure Evil and All That Is Wrong With the Interwebz." - Queen of the Ryche, apparently in all seriousness

Main Menu

Open Bar: Subpoenaed by Congress, but still refusing to testify

Started by altered, November 21, 2019, 05:11:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Freeky

Quote from: LMNO on June 24, 2020, 09:03:22 PM
About Lincoln, this is the statue in Boston BLM is objecting to.

I'm pretty sure I can understand why someone wouldn't want to see themselves as some sort of helpless savage genuflecting to a white savior.

snip

gross :vom:

minuspace

Quote from: Freeky on June 25, 2020, 02:10:26 AM
Quote from: LMNO on June 24, 2020, 09:03:22 PM
About Lincoln, this is the statue in Boston BLM is objecting to.

I'm pretty sure I can understand why someone wouldn't want to see themselves as some sort of helpless savage genuflecting to a white savior.

snip

gross :vom:

It's embarrassing. Then my first thought is give ME the smelting contract, I always wanted to work with brass etc. Take a picture for posterity, put it in a book, boom, we're moving forward.

THEN I got scared that if we don't have some kind of a reminder, shit like that MIGHT happen again. So... Museum of Tollerance? Round up all the racist shit und put it into a Museum of Tolerance style thing. You could visit, but it would NOT be fun, joy at all.

Trivial

My dad's path to Idiotsville goes Sera was Sainted by The Best Pope Ever so Sera is GOOD.  Therefore people tearing down statues hate Saints and therefore also God and he's being oppressed for being Christian!

At the very least he hasn't gone the full way there and still tells the anti mask people on his facebook that they are stupid and should feel stupid.
Sexy Octopus of the Next Noosphere Horde

There are more nipples in the world than people.

chaotic neutral observer

Quote from: Trivial on June 26, 2020, 03:34:36 PM
My dad's path to Idiotsville goes Sera was Sainted by The Best Pope Ever so Sera is GOOD.  Therefore people tearing down statues hate Saints and therefore also God and he's being oppressed for being Christian!

Is there precedent for decanonization of a catholic saint? All I could find is that the Church "cleaned up" a few saints back in 1969, but that was because they were either deemed mythical, or too little was known about them.

https://abcnews.go.com/International/saint-saint-kind-demoted/story?id=23477573
Desine fata deum flecti sperare precando.

Cain

I believe they just quietly drop their feast days from the calendar. There's no way, that I'm aware of at least, that they can go about actually removing them, but they can make sure they're forgotten.

Trivial

I'm not sure if Saint Olga is a saint despite burning a town down using birds or because of it.
Sexy Octopus of the Next Noosphere Horde

There are more nipples in the world than people.

minuspace

Pergamos

I have internet that is mine (well, mine and my wife's) for the first time in 2 years.  I am SO happy to be done sharing internet with an entire resort.

Juana

Quote from: Trivial on June 26, 2020, 03:34:36 PM

At the very least he hasn't gone the full way there and still tells the anti mask people on his facebook that they are stupid and should feel stupid.
I mean, as an ex Catholic, Cool Pope is still a fucking Pope and *gestures at the mission and rancheria systems*. Serra did some ugly shit that is still echoing in California. They're just as impoverished as reservations elsewhere.
"I dispose of obsolete meat machines.  Not because I hate them (I do) and not because they deserve it (they do), but because they are in the way and those older ones don't meet emissions codes.  They emit too much.  You don't like them and I don't like them, so spare me the hysteria."

Q. G. Pennyworth

Nazis at the statehouse today, waving their sonnenrad flag.

The Wizard Joseph

Quote from: Q. G. Pennyworth on June 28, 2020, 12:02:13 AM
Nazis at the statehouse today, waving their sonnenrad flag.

I always liked how the black sun symbol looks a bit like a bullseye. That it the only thing I like about it. Heard that yesterday the KKK had some sort of rally in downtown Kenosha just north of Chicago in Wisconsin.
You can't get out backward.  You have to go forward to go back.. better press on! - Willie Wonka, PBUH

Life can be seen as a game with no reset button, no extra lives, and if the power goes out there is no restarting.  If that's all you see life as you are not long for this world, and never will get it.

"Ayn Rand never swung a hammer in her life and had serious dominance issues" - The Fountainhead

"World domination is such an ugly phrase. I prefer to call it world optimisation."
- Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality :lulz:

"You program the controller to do the thing, only it doesn't do the thing.  It does something else entirely, or nothing at all.  It's like voting."
- Billy, Aug 21st, 2019

"It's not even chaos anymore. It's BANAL."
- Doktor Hamish Howl

The Johnny

Quote from: The Wizard Joseph on June 28, 2020, 01:35:14 PM
I always liked how the black sun symbol looks a bit like a bullseye. [...]

Hugo Boss and nazism, and all of Mussolini's art projects... seductive aesthetics of fascism/totalitarianism and all that jazz.
<<My image in some places, is of a monster of some kind who wants to pull a string and manipulate people. Nothing could be further from the truth. People are manipulated; I just want them to be manipulated more effectively.>>

-B.F. Skinner

altered

Oh no he was saying it makes the fash look like the targets they are. It's a "kick me" sign, for adults who think they're cool because they hate entire races/cultures/bloodlines.
"I am that worst of all type of criminal...I cannot bring myself to do what you tell me, because you told me."

There's over 100 of us in this meat-suit. You'd think it runs like a ship, but it's more like a hundred and ten angry ghosts having an old-school QuakeWorld tournament, three people desperately trying to make sure the gamers don't go hungry or soil themselves, and the Facilities manager weeping in the corner as the garbage piles high.

The Wizard Joseph

Quote from: altered on June 28, 2020, 07:46:26 PM
Oh no he was saying it makes the fash look like the targets they are. It's a "kick me" sign, for adults who think they're cool because they hate entire races/cultures/bloodlines.

Essentially this. It also marks them out as likely one of the pseudo-mystic types, a "brain" NAZI worth removing from the game so to speak.
You can't get out backward.  You have to go forward to go back.. better press on! - Willie Wonka, PBUH

Life can be seen as a game with no reset button, no extra lives, and if the power goes out there is no restarting.  If that's all you see life as you are not long for this world, and never will get it.

"Ayn Rand never swung a hammer in her life and had serious dominance issues" - The Fountainhead

"World domination is such an ugly phrase. I prefer to call it world optimisation."
- Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality :lulz:

"You program the controller to do the thing, only it doesn't do the thing.  It does something else entirely, or nothing at all.  It's like voting."
- Billy, Aug 21st, 2019

"It's not even chaos anymore. It's BANAL."
- Doktor Hamish Howl

The Johnny

Quote from: The Wizard Joseph on June 28, 2020, 09:28:59 PM
Quote from: altered on June 28, 2020, 07:46:26 PM

Essentially this. It also marks them out as likely one of the pseudo-mystic types, a "brain" NAZI worth removing from the game so to speak.

Oh right right, its stupid how i got caught up so much in the 1st half of the sentence.
<<My image in some places, is of a monster of some kind who wants to pull a string and manipulate people. Nothing could be further from the truth. People are manipulated; I just want them to be manipulated more effectively.>>

-B.F. Skinner