News:

PD.com: Like a fraternity of drunken clowns, hopped up on goofballs, beating one-another to a bloody pulp with bricks; the maniacal laughter increases exponentially as someone runs off to get a cinder-block.

Main Menu

Open Bar: Subpoenaed by Congress, but still refusing to testify

Started by altered, November 21, 2019, 05:11:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

altered

Quote from: Hoopla! on November 21, 2019, 10:44:38 PM
Quote from: nullified on November 21, 2019, 10:43:58 PM
EAT THEM

what makes you think I haven't?

Because if you ate Cain you would shortly thereafter stop existing, courtesy of satellite coordinated bombardment
"I am that worst of all type of criminal...I cannot bring myself to do what you tell me, because you told me."

There's over 100 of us in this meat-suit. You'd think it runs like a ship, but it's more like a hundred and ten angry ghosts having an old-school QuakeWorld tournament, three people desperately trying to make sure the gamers don't go hungry or soil themselves, and the Facilities manager weeping in the corner as the garbage piles high.

hooplala

Quote from: nullified on November 21, 2019, 10:46:29 PM
Quote from: Hoopla! on November 21, 2019, 10:44:38 PM
Quote from: nullified on November 21, 2019, 10:43:58 PM
EAT THEM

what makes you think I haven't?

Because if you ate Cain you would shortly thereafter stop existing, courtesy of satellite coordinated bombardment

I think we're talking about different things.
"Soon all of us will have special names" — Professor Brian O'Blivion

"Now's not the time to get silly, so wear your big boots and jump on the garbage clowns." — Bob Dylan?

"Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)"
— Walt Whitman

altered

"I am that worst of all type of criminal...I cannot bring myself to do what you tell me, because you told me."

There's over 100 of us in this meat-suit. You'd think it runs like a ship, but it's more like a hundred and ten angry ghosts having an old-school QuakeWorld tournament, three people desperately trying to make sure the gamers don't go hungry or soil themselves, and the Facilities manager weeping in the corner as the garbage piles high.

The Johnny

<<My image in some places, is of a monster of some kind who wants to pull a string and manipulate people. Nothing could be further from the truth. People are manipulated; I just want them to be manipulated more effectively.>>

-B.F. Skinner

Pergamos

Quote from: Doktor Howl on November 21, 2019, 10:21:51 PM
Quote from: Hoopla! on November 21, 2019, 10:13:59 PM
The reality is that I am actually very thankful for the updates from Tucson, Boston, London, etc...........

Whoops.  Edited your post instead of responding:

Update:  It has been freezing rain for the last 3 days, tomorrow it gets worse, then ends at 4 PM, right after everyone dies.

Thanks, PACNW.

You're welcome.  It's been beautiful here, not warm, but not cold, and sunny.  We didn't steal your weather though, cause it's colder than Tucson ever really gets, just shipped you ours.

Cramulus

Quote from: TrivialQ on November 21, 2019, 05:02:18 AM
Speaking of reality, I somehow missed the fact that Gene Ray died.

I mourn his passing with every 4 simultaneous rotations of the earth

Cramulus

Quote from: Doktor Howl on November 21, 2019, 03:19:22 PM
Quote from: The Johnny on November 21, 2019, 08:19:18 AM

Hey guys, remember how the forum had a psychotic breakout of in-fighting like clockwork around winter?

We need that back, cause in it's abscence it's the world that's doing it, and everything is on fire.

Pretty please.

This is a "heat death of PD" thing.  Things have spread out so far that no two spags can interact.

Yeah, and it's not like Facebook is BETTER

I do miss longform posts, interesting threads, being on a site where people worked to build fun topics for each other

I feel like we've all survived some shit together

Every so often I'll press the "new thread" button and try to come up with something here, but then Cate Blanchett's voice comes in and says "The world is changed. I feel it in the water. I feel it in deez nuts" and I realize that there is a secret ring---a secret NFL ring, from the secret superbowl. And we missed it. But we missed it together. Fnord.

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Cramulus on November 22, 2019, 12:52:08 PM
Quote from: Doktor Howl on November 21, 2019, 03:19:22 PM
Quote from: The Johnny on November 21, 2019, 08:19:18 AM

Hey guys, remember how the forum had a psychotic breakout of in-fighting like clockwork around winter?

We need that back, cause in it's abscence it's the world that's doing it, and everything is on fire.

Pretty please.

This is a "heat death of PD" thing.  Things have spread out so far that no two spags can interact.

Yeah, and it's not like Facebook is BETTER

I do miss longform posts, interesting threads, being on a site where people worked to build fun topics for each other

I feel like we've all survived some shit together

Every so often I'll press the "new thread" button and try to come up with something here, but then Cate Blanchett's voice comes in and says "The world is changed. I feel it in the water. I feel it in deez nuts" and I realize that there is a secret ring---a secret NFL ring, from the secret superbowl. And we missed it. But we missed it together. Fnord.

FB is fine for torquing people up, but I am currently halfway through a ban and I'm okay with it.
Molon Lube

Cramulus

Last night, I was playing D&D with my D&D friends and it occurred to me that none of them are on facebook.

So when I talk to them, they are not "caught up" on whatever's going on, and I get to tell them stuff IN PERSON. Which is cool! Who does that??

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Cramulus on November 22, 2019, 02:09:02 PM
Last night, I was playing D&D with my D&D friends and it occurred to me that none of them are on facebook.

So when I talk to them, they are not "caught up" on whatever's going on, and I get to tell them stuff IN PERSON. Which is cool! Who does that??

The more I'm caught up on things, the dumber and more unhappy I am, and I want to share that feeling with others.

FB is perfect for that. 

But the funny thing:

As this BBS slowed down, people took to the F5 thing.  Signal dropped.  Okay.

As FB gets older, people are more and more prone to "Like" and "Share" things without comment.  So you get a pic of the President violating the Mann Act with a possum, and suddenly that pic is EVERYWHERE, and nobody knows the reason WHY the president was fucking a possum.  FB *also* proves the Churchill Principle:  A lies runs around the world before the truth can get its pants on.  This has allowed absolute polarization on things like Brexit, the impeachment, and the president fucking possums.

Social media may be the last cultural invention humans develop.
Molon Lube

Cain

Web 2.0 was a terrible, terrible mistake.

We should have stopped at the point where people were sharing fake bomb recipes and posting about mushrooms and badgers. That was when the internet was at its best.

The Johnny

Quote from: Doktor Howl on November 22, 2019, 02:16:10 PM

Idk, like, last thread I posted was a by-product of some 1000 pages of reading and dozens of hours of work... and it got like 10 replies... and while the thread only costed me about an hour of work redacting, it felt unfulfilling.

I'm not sure what to make of it really... I think the discussions changed from ahistorical topics so to speak, towards discussing real-life ongoing events/things/news.

<<My image in some places, is of a monster of some kind who wants to pull a string and manipulate people. Nothing could be further from the truth. People are manipulated; I just want them to be manipulated more effectively.>>

-B.F. Skinner

altered

The stuff people put the most work into has ALWAYS been historically the stuff that gets the least feedback, with occasional exceptions for stuff like the Nessie's thing, the Spiders stuff, and Holy Nonsense. So, okay, the stuff a SINGLE person puts the most work into. Point being that that has not changed, even as the forum has become fairly slow moving.

Doktor Howl

I wasn't complaining, just stating that BBS use is down, and FB is up.  It's not on the user base, it's just that systems advanced, and people would rather be on a platform with millions of people rather than hundreds of people.

PD.COM:  The last buggy whip factory.
Molon Lube

Doktor Howl

Quote from: The Johnny on November 22, 2019, 07:19:11 PM
Quote from: Doktor Howl on November 22, 2019, 02:16:10 PM

Idk, like, last thread I posted was a by-product of some 1000 pages of reading and dozens of hours of work... and it got like 10 replies... and while the thread only costed me about an hour of work redacting, it felt unfulfilling.

I'm not sure what to make of it really... I think the discussions changed from ahistorical topics so to speak, towards discussing real-life ongoing events/things/news.

Yeah, I had to completely rework my thinking to stop getting mad about that.  Now I go back and look and I spent like 7 years bitching that PD was dead.  It took the big December 2015 meltdown to get me to change what I was after, here.

I also more or less stopped writing, but I am unsure that's actually connected.  I think it's more "I had my say."
Molon Lube