News:

In my heart I knew that rotten testicles and inflamed penises were on the way.

Main Menu

Open Bar: Subpoenaed by Congress, but still refusing to testify

Started by altered, November 21, 2019, 05:11:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

altered

It could be psychosomatic, absolutely. I really highly doubt it (psychosomatic symptoms tend to build up over time, the undeniable physical symptoms are partially a result of all the attention you've paid to them) but I'm not by far going to rule that out.

In fact, I'm also not going to rule that out for everything else.

My brain is weird. It's quite possible that it's the cause of /all/ of this shit. I know the lit on conversion disorder. Psychosomatic symptoms go fucking far, way out into "what the fuck" land and beyond.

But I really, really don't think it's the case. I think something weird is up. The fact the doctors are baffled and aren't willing to jump with both feet into psychosomatic issues makes me more confident in this, it's more a reluctant "here's what I got" non answer.

Edit: I sincerely doubt it's lupus  :lulz: :lulz:

Honest best guess: it's the interaction of a whole bunch of medium-probability issues that don't often crop up together at all, let alone all of them in one comorbid clusterfuck. This is JUST AS LIKELY as me having won the rare disease lottery and picking up something that doesn't totally bar all hope of living a normal life but which no one else in the world has, I grant you, but I am more willing to believe a small gang of Things That Happened Before Actually Pretty Often Really over One Crazy Thing, All New, Never Before Seen.
"I am that worst of all type of criminal...I cannot bring myself to do what you tell me, because you told me."

There's over 100 of us in this meat-suit. You'd think it runs like a ship, but it's more like a hundred and ten angry ghosts having an old-school QuakeWorld tournament, three people desperately trying to make sure the gamers don't go hungry or soil themselves, and the Facilities manager weeping in the corner as the garbage piles high.

altered

Oh and to be clear: because I actually know about conversion disorder and such, I don't get all "NO IM NOT CRAZY" about it. It's more of a "Hm, could be. Do you think it's more or less likely than something actually being there? Best guess."

Tonight's lady paused and you could see gears turning, hesitation, then... "Like I said, if it's not gone tomorrow, or if it gets worse, go to the ER."

If someone is willing to buy psychosomatic symptoms and you think that's most likely the issue, the only reason I can see not to say as much is no confidence in your own reading of what's in front of you.
"I am that worst of all type of criminal...I cannot bring myself to do what you tell me, because you told me."

There's over 100 of us in this meat-suit. You'd think it runs like a ship, but it's more like a hundred and ten angry ghosts having an old-school QuakeWorld tournament, three people desperately trying to make sure the gamers don't go hungry or soil themselves, and the Facilities manager weeping in the corner as the garbage piles high.

The Johnny

Quote from: Doktor Howl on December 03, 2019, 12:16:10 AM
My stress levels back in 2012 were high enough that my arms and legs went totally numb.

Now I have drugs and things are much better.

I believe ya - like, I've also known couple of people that had Fibromyalgia, which gets attributed too quickly to biological/infective causes while some people consider it the XXIst century hysteria (conversion). I've also lost count to how many times after a psychotherapeutic intervention the given person gets flu, diarrhea or some kind of physical unwellness.

Quote from: nullified on December 03, 2019, 12:36:33 AM
Oh and to be clear: because I actually know about conversion disorder and such, I don't get all "NO IM NOT CRAZY" about it. It's more of a "Hm, could be. Do you think it's more or less likely than something actually being there? Best guess."

Tonight's lady paused and you could see gears turning, hesitation, then... "Like I said, if it's not gone tomorrow, or if it gets worse, go to the ER."

If someone is willing to buy psychosomatic symptoms and you think that's most likely the issue, the only reason I can see not to say as much is no confidence in your own reading of what's in front of you.

Yeah, it's a very difficult topic to approach reasonably, be it on the practitioners side or the patients side, like it either gets exxagerated or downplayed but not approached reasonably... like practitioners are either "You have nothing real and physical, pls stop simulating and wasting our time" or "EVERYTHING is in your mind, go to counseling and your Ebola will be cured"... and on patients side they can get really set in hypochondriac mode and rage at anyone that would suggest it could be due to psychic etiology.

Personally, the scariest part of psychosomatic issues, is that they're psychosomatic until they aren't... you get a symbolically constructed and psychically originated "nervous cough" for long enough, and 10 years later they die of throat cancer, due to the abnormal stress on said body part regardless of where its originating from.
<<My image in some places, is of a monster of some kind who wants to pull a string and manipulate people. Nothing could be further from the truth. People are manipulated; I just want them to be manipulated more effectively.>>

-B.F. Skinner

altered

In my case, I am normally like the anti-hypochondriac. "It's either my damage or my weird ass chronic shit, it'll go away or it will kill me, there is work to be done." Nausea, sneezing? "Cold or flu, doesn't matter, I have dealt with worse."

Fever, serious pain, neurological symptoms, and visible changes in the skin are the exceptions. Any of these are the drop-and-run. (Fever only because if /I/ can clearly sense it, it's probably too late.) I had everything BUT pain with this, so it was definitely a "fucking out of here" moment.

Doktor Howl

So, my latest FB jail sentence ends tomorrow.  30 days of breakin' rocks for The Man, and I have learned NOTHING.
Molon Lube

Cain

Just wait until they have your computer mining Libracoin for them.

Of course, I'm just being silly here. They'll probably add a secret program to run in the background every time you log into Facebook and have everyone's phones and machines mining Libracoin for them.

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Cain on December 04, 2019, 03:57:22 PM
Just wait until they have your computer mining Libracoin for them.

Of course, I'm just being silly here. They'll probably add a secret program to run in the background every time you log into Facebook and have everyone's phones and machines mining Libracoin for them.

I am proud to be part of that effort.

But WTF is Libracoin?  I mean, I know it's some bullshit fake currency, but that name is a little odd.
Molon Lube

altered

It comes with connotations I would rather not have associated with Zuckerberg, definitely.

Faust

It is their attempt to divert power away from sovereign states and render countries and national government secondary to corperations.
So nothing they weren't doing before.
Sleepless nights at the chateau

Cramulus

Cain

It'll turn Facebook into the world's largest investment bank.

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Cain on December 04, 2019, 04:29:16 PM

This is going to fail in a truly spectacular way.   :lulz:
Molon Lube

Faust

Quote from: Doktor Howl on December 04, 2019, 04:31:54 PM

IIRC you wrote a rant about how bank of America tried to introduce its own currency to rival the dollar and had their butts shut down, printing presses smashed by the gov? I'm hoping facebook bring that on themselves.
Sleepless nights at the chateau

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Faust on December 04, 2019, 04:35:20 PM
Quote from: Doktor Howl on December 04, 2019, 04:31:54 PM

IIRC you wrote a rant about how bank of America tried to introduce its own currency to rival the dollar and had their butts shut down, printing presses smashed by the gov? I'm hoping facebook bring that on themselves.

I don't remember that.

But I will say that even if the government doesn't get involved, this will fail like a CHAMPION, right out of the gate.  And that's BEFORE someone gets caught with their hand in the till.
Molon Lube

The Johnny

Quote from: Cramulus on December 04, 2019, 04:19:33 PM
FREEDOM COINS

call it what it is

ZUCK BUCKS

If I'm correct, it's more like "JUSTICE coins".

Libra is like the zodiac sign, a weight measurer, which symbolizes the rule of law and justice, while Liber is more related to freedoms.

:flyes away:
<<My image in some places, is of a monster of some kind who wants to pull a string and manipulate people. Nothing could be further from the truth. People are manipulated; I just want them to be manipulated more effectively.>>

-B.F. Skinner