News:

Discordianism:  It is some kind of a communist sect.

Main Menu

Open Bar: Subpoenaed by Congress, but still refusing to testify

Started by altered, November 21, 2019, 05:11:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doktor Howl

Quote from: nullified on December 06, 2019, 07:17:51 PM
Quote from: Doktor Howl on December 06, 2019, 06:30:03 PM
Quote from: nullified on December 06, 2019, 06:25:01 PM
I want an anvil too.

After I have a permanent address, of course.

I will make you a tool fit for a Doktor.

I am already a tool AND a Doktor.

But do you have a menacing widget that looks like a Victorian surgical device, an Elizabethan torture device, and an H R Giger sculpture all at the SAME TIME? Can you BRANDISH IT at the small beasts you are furious with?

This is why I need an anvil one day.

You do.  I am out.

The closest thing I had to what you describe was the infamous "pink glove," which involved a toilet plunger and an apple corer.  It was one of Suu's more deranged ideas.
Molon Lube

altered

I have ideas already.

I wonder if I can manage a few days off and access to a forge?

I wonder how hard it is to take those little screwdriver heads and attach them to fake (or real, depending) teeth?

I wonder if I can make it crack an egg and hork it out of its gaping maw?

Such possibilities.
"I am that worst of all type of criminal...I cannot bring myself to do what you tell me, because you told me."

There's over 100 of us in this meat-suit. You'd think it runs like a ship, but it's more like a hundred and ten angry ghosts having an old-school QuakeWorld tournament, three people desperately trying to make sure the gamers don't go hungry or soil themselves, and the Facilities manager weeping in the corner as the garbage piles high.

The Johnny

Quote from: Cain on December 06, 2019, 01:42:44 PM
It's a new paradigm, and everybody who doesn't buy, now, will be priced out forever. Anybody who does buy will be rewarded with a lifetime of riches, as their Yu-Gi-Oh cards will continue its 30% yearly price increase.

Renters, and anybody born in a future generation, will not be able to afford a $15,000,000 starter Yu-Gi-Oh card pack in 15 years. They will live in tent cities, and Hondas.

This asset bubble is different than all of the others - it will never slow down, or pop. The gains are permanent.

We could also value digital currency based on GPUs, which is what's used to make them.

It's all a scam by Nvidia, AMD and pyramid-schemers.
<<My image in some places, is of a monster of some kind who wants to pull a string and manipulate people. Nothing could be further from the truth. People are manipulated; I just want them to be manipulated more effectively.>>

-B.F. Skinner

Bruno

I'm just waiting for all my old Camel Bucks to mature so I can cash them out and retire in luxury.
Formerly something else...

altered

I said this

At work

In a chat medium

There are logs

“HAHAHA nothing but fun! Right into the abyss!”

“This whole crm is teetering on the verge of legal action, all it takes is a couple dozen incompetents shitting the bed all at once. If that seems unlikely to you, look at [outsourced CS company]”

“I need to overdose on nicotine because if it doesn’t kill me this goddamn backwards implementation will surgically remove my deep fried neocortex to use as a basketball”

ETA: “these emails are like the boulder of Sisyphus: I can handle this! I can get this up the hill! This time I win! Then the giggling psychotic demon named [outsourced CS company] answers an email they shouldn’t have and down it all goes, crushing me flat into the earth beneath it, and the cycle continues”

“I need a smoke break before I spontaneously combust and rocket through the 9th floor like a pressurized gas canister”
"I am that worst of all type of criminal...I cannot bring myself to do what you tell me, because you told me."

There's over 100 of us in this meat-suit. You'd think it runs like a ship, but it's more like a hundred and ten angry ghosts having an old-school QuakeWorld tournament, three people desperately trying to make sure the gamers don't go hungry or soil themselves, and the Facilities manager weeping in the corner as the garbage piles high.

chaotic neutral observer

Quote from: nullified on December 07, 2019, 06:19:59 PM
ETA: "these emails are like the boulder of Sisyphus: I can handle this! I can get this up the hill! This time I win! Then the giggling psychotic demon named [outsourced CS company] answers an email they shouldn't have and down it all goes, crushing me flat into the earth beneath it, and the cycle continues"
You can get away with quite a lot if you're competent, you don't make too many of the wrong people angry, and you're weird enough that people don't know quite how to handle you.

Anyway, I was exposed to potentially dangerous levels of Christmas music today, so I've got that "insatiable urge to kill" thing going again.  If any pinealistic noobs show up in the next few days, would anyone mind if I chew on them a bit?
Desine fata deum flecti sperare precando.

altered

I'm more than competent. I'm the go-to for weird technical minutiae. I handle customers who have been mishandled and abused by incompetent fuckwits and I have them apologizing to us for their understandable frustration.

I can turn a giant turd into a fucking SELLING POINT, and I don't even do it to sell shit.

I'm not tooting my own horn, I'm repeating what others tell me. I'm not on the same page, I feel like a cheap plastic shopping bag attempting to hold back a mob equipped with torches and pitchforks, but it's probably a point in my favor that the entire chain of command until the 9th floor is on my side.

But just like everywhere else, once management leaves the front lines they're incompetent as fuck and can't understand why everyone's having so much trouble using their worthless backwards piece of shit dysfunctional garbage chute of a system to handle shit better suited to someone with a pipe wrench and a GRIN.

Pergamos

Quote from: chaotic neutral observer on December 06, 2019, 12:58:13 AM
I have a notion of how the bitcoin bubble formed, I just find it absurd that it's kept going to this point.  If it takes more than a few seconds for your system to process a basic transaction, you've gone past the point where it has practical value, and something is very, very wrong.

I wonder how much hotter the water will get before the frog jumps out of the pot.

This is part of why there are now a ton of different cryptos, a lot of the ones which are not bitcoin still process transactions in a few seconds for a few fractions of a penny in value.

Pergamos

Quote from: Cain on December 06, 2019, 01:42:44 PM
It's a new paradigm, and everybody who doesn't buy, now, will be priced out forever. Anybody who does buy will be rewarded with a lifetime of riches, as their Yu-Gi-Oh cards will continue its 30% yearly price increase.

Renters, and anybody born in a future generation, will not be able to afford a $15,000,000 starter Yu-Gi-Oh card pack in 15 years. They will live in tent cities, and Hondas.

This asset bubble is different than all of the others - it will never slow down, or pop. The gains are permanent.

A lot of folks know it's a bubble, but they also know that, unlike that other sucker, they are going to get out of the bubble at the top.

Juana

The friend I sent the potato to: I still can't believe it wasn't you.

Me, fortunately in another room: I wish it had been me.
"I dispose of obsolete meat machines.  Not because I hate them (I do) and not because they deserve it (they do), but because they are in the way and those older ones don't meet emissions codes.  They emit too much.  You don't like them and I don't like them, so spare me the hysteria."

altered

I may have a new job lined up. Awaiting details now.

If I do, it's IT and not customer facing THANK GOD PRAISE BE.

Trivial

Old people I like need to stop dying today damnit.  Old people I don't like can continue to do so, and they better.
Sexy Octopus of the Next Noosphere Horde

There are more nipples in the world than people.

Frontside Back

[quote author=T̼̞̼ͅr̳̬̤̖̱͚̮̘̜̦̦i̲̩̝͕̣̲̪v̺͇̫̯͉͖͈͖͔̺̰̣͉̟̻̫̭i̦̖Q link=topic=38784.msg1433401#msg1433401 date=1575855920]
Old people I like need to stop dying today damnit.  Old people I don't like can continue to do so, and they better.
[/quote]
Try connecting their hearts to world nuclear arsenal in a way that the moment they stop it's boomtime. Be very public about this and medical researchers around the world will work their asses off to provide immortality to your loved ones.
"I want to be the Borg but I want to do it alone."

Faust

Re-watching Aeon Flux from the talking episode (7 onwards), love how each episode was an exploration of some concept and discarded the episodes or story telling before it. MTV used to do fantastic TV.
https://www.wcostream.com/anime/aeon-flux
Sleepless nights at the chateau

Cramulus

Now knowing that Aeon Flux is an exploration of gnostic myth, I felt like I should revisit it -- watched a handful of episodes a few years ago and just cringed the whole time. It didn't land for me. Are you saying some parts are better than others? I watched a few of the short non-talky ones, and then the one with the Demiurge... didn't really sift anything from it.