News:

Testimonial: "It's just honestly sad that a place like this exists"

Main Menu

Open Bar: Subpoenaed by Congress, but still refusing to testify

Started by altered, November 21, 2019, 05:11:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

altered

I do get bored. I need a challenge and a goal to keep focused. I hate these shit low level garbage jobs.

The challenge is digging my way out of the cesspool and the goal is one gasp of air.
"I am that worst of all type of criminal...I cannot bring myself to do what you tell me, because you told me."

There's over 100 of us in this meat-suit. You'd think it runs like a ship, but it's more like a hundred and ten angry ghosts having an old-school QuakeWorld tournament, three people desperately trying to make sure the gamers don't go hungry or soil themselves, and the Facilities manager weeping in the corner as the garbage piles high.

Doktor Howl

Molon Lube

Cain

No lies detected. And my family want to move back there (admittedly to a part that is never going to catch on fire, but still...)

altered

HHAHAHAHA

IT LIVES

It feels like a fucking hallucination but thanks to a couple Christmas gift cards and a stupid sale for it, I have one of those insipid console briefcase thingies, and I spent fifty dollars of my own money on it around Christmas.

After some minor hiccups, I finally have my PS4 lodged in it like a bad tooth and ... it works! A year and a half of storage didn't break the console, and for FIFTY DOLLARS having a debatably portable PlayStation 4 and TV is heaven. I know what my Amtrak ride is gonna consist of!

Also I wasn't kidding about it feeling hallucinatory: check this shit out

"I am that worst of all type of criminal...I cannot bring myself to do what you tell me, because you told me."

There's over 100 of us in this meat-suit. You'd think it runs like a ship, but it's more like a hundred and ten angry ghosts having an old-school QuakeWorld tournament, three people desperately trying to make sure the gamers don't go hungry or soil themselves, and the Facilities manager weeping in the corner as the garbage piles high.

Faust

Control will definitely help with feeling hallucinatory
Sleepless nights at the chateau

Faust

Incidentally I am playing it at the moment, it's awesome

altered

I beat it on a friend's PS4 over the course of a work week, and I'm ready to start from scratch on my own PS4.

I could rant for hours about it. It's as close to a perfect game for me as I'm likely to ever get.

chaotic neutral observer

I hadn't even heard of Control before you mentioned it in the video game thread, but now my interest is piqued.

I guess I haven't talked enough about my taste in video games around here to ask if it's a good recommendation, so:

I mostly play JRPGs.  My experience in the horror genre is largely limited to a few From Software titles (Demon's Souls and Bloodborne* in particular), but I would also be interested if Control was on the weirder side, like Shadow Hearts or Nier.  Basically, if a game can take my brain somewhere it couldn't get on its own, I'm likely to receive it favourably.

*I got to the point where I could quote Micolash verbatim.  Partly because his words resonated, partly because I died a lot.
Desine fata deum flecti sperare precando.

altered

You'll love it.

I say that without reservation, having played every game you named. (Also, ORIGINAL Nier, not Automata. Nice.)

It's quite like Bloodborne, Shadow Hearts and Nier (and I'd add El Shaddai to that list, because homoerotic 3D genre mashed beatemup based on the Books of Enoch is definitely a one-off, which makes me SO SAD) in that it is one of a kind, nothing exists like it, and nothing will ever exist like it again. Things may try, but the magic is FAR too specific to dial in on it without skirting plagiarism.

You'll love it. No question.

ETA: also, if you don't go apeshit over the Ashtray Maze, you are not actually human. Not fucking joking. It's so good it's practically a meme anyway, but with your taste in music you'll probably shit yourself in glee.

Faust

Bloodborne is my favourite of the From Software games, though Sekero grew on me (took a long time to get into it).
I really liked Neir Automata (haven't played the others), I had written it off as creepy fan service because of the character designs but a friend said to try it, and it was one of the best games I played last year, great story great emotional depth and great dystopia, its an excellent game despite the main character appearing like a little girl in a cocktail dress (fucking anime, fucking japan).
I'm going to try out Kojima's deliveroo game next but it doesn't look fun

altered

Death Stranding is a game I just won't play. I have too many games to play, and I hate most of them, so I've started putting unrealistic and stupid criteria in:

It's gay, the protagonist is a woman or of ambiguous gender (nb, monster, animal, robot), or I make my own player character.

Interesting fact: once you cut the floating cruft of "generic gruff white dude" games, much of what is left is actually pretty good. And this works almost universally, you just lose out on Resident Evils 4 and 7 and end up with 6 instead. You also lose all of Silent Hill except SH3, which is kind of sucky ... but the alternative is Bulletstorm and Duke Nukem. And Call of Duty. Again.

A friend of mine has a requirement that a game have axes for melee weapons. Another friend requires a child or a friendly animal be part of the marketing material. Same thing there. The concept is just reducing the amount of generic AAA GOTY garbage in your to-play list by identifying traits most of that sort of crud either lack or have, then using that criteria to exclude them.

As such, I will not be delivering boxes across a fucked up wasteland with Norman Reedus.

Faust

If it helps better relate to your interests that's good:
Untitled Goose Game
Hollow knight
Cuphead
Detroit
and Horizon zero dawn
Would all be things I've played last year that fall under that.
As long as the game has a quality, if it does something well, explores an interesting new idea, or just has a good story but is a bit wonky I'll play it.

Your system does have a flaw though if you miss out on Resi 7 and instead get that piece of shit resi 6, and it excludes silent hill 2, which is still the best narrative game, and best horror game of all time and should automatically be on everyone's list regardless of criteria.

The Johnny

Quote from: altered on January 02, 2020, 09:01:48 AM
Death Stranding is a game I just won't play.

[...]

As such, I will not be delivering boxes across a fucked up wasteland with Norman Reedus.

Fucking Jeff Bezo's delivery-slave simulator... I loved "P.T." and im a bit of a Metal Gear fanatic... ive watched the "cinematic movie" playthroughs of all the games at least 3 times and this Death Stranding is so unnecesarily and artificially pretentious to distract people from its shallowness of a AAA game, alongside exploiting "brand-names" such as Reedus, Del Toro and  Mikkelsen for the same purpose.

MAYBE the "transporting-and-terrain micro-mechanics" are enough to make the game entertaining? Cause those do exist and there was work put into them... just the story and themes are so basic is what's making me angry.
<<My image in some places, is of a monster of some kind who wants to pull a string and manipulate people. Nothing could be further from the truth. People are manipulated; I just want them to be manipulated more effectively.>>

-B.F. Skinner

Faust

I dunno, I've always found the same true of metal gear, they are all gaudy pretentious fetishisation of Americana and western culture, it's part of the charm. Using the celebs though does feel like Kojima is very much a scenester. He is very much in the mind of the overlap between movies and games, but it does highlight, it always feels jarring when they use their actual faces, same with Beyond two souls.

There is an exception: Saints Row, in parodying Mass Effect instead of having Admiral Anderson, you literally get the voice actor Keith David (navigating the ship), and in parodying the "complex" romance system of mass effect, you get a hotkeyed romance button, that Keith David turns you down on.

Cain

Keith David was definitely the highlight of Saints Row 4.

"I was 12 hours into Dead Island when the Zin attacked. Now I'll never finish. I won't forgive them for that."