News:

In North Korea, this forum wouldn't be banned, it would be revered and taught in schools as a palatable and preferable version of Western history. And in many ways, that's all the truth the children of North Korea need

Main Menu

Open Bar: Subpoenaed by Congress, but still refusing to testify

Started by altered, November 21, 2019, 05:11:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Juana

The governor is telling us not to expect schools to open back up for the remainder of this school year. Woof.
"I dispose of obsolete meat machines.  Not because I hate them (I do) and not because they deserve it (they do), but because they are in the way and those older ones don't meet emissions codes.  They emit too much.  You don't like them and I don't like them, so spare me the hysteria."

Bruno

Our schools are closed until the end of March, and for some reason a lot of people seem to think this whole thing will have blown over by then.  :roll:

I had a guy tonight tell me that the death rate won't be nearly as high here as it was in China because China is a third world country that doesn't have hospitals.  :horrormirth:
Formerly something else...

Cain

The end of April will probably be the time we have a better idea what is going on. If the UK keeps to current trends, it will probably be like Italy is now at that point.

Juana

Mid April is when we're supposed to be considering re-opening but 🤷. Fresno may or may not be going on total lockdown starting at midnight anyway and who knows how long that'll last.
"I dispose of obsolete meat machines.  Not because I hate them (I do) and not because they deserve it (they do), but because they are in the way and those older ones don't meet emissions codes.  They emit too much.  You don't like them and I don't like them, so spare me the hysteria."

Cain

Hey well we've just decided to close down our schools. I mean, today. And England only after Wales and Scotland already said they couldn't afford to keep the schools open any more.

Our closure is "until further notice", so no idea on when it's going to be over.

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Cain on March 18, 2020, 08:39:37 PM
Hey well we've just decided to close down our schools. I mean, today. And England only after Wales and Scotland already said they couldn't afford to keep the schools open any more.

Our closure is "until further notice", so no idea on when it's going to be over.

Our species' epitaph should be "We should let it work its way through the population" or maybe "It's a hoax."
Molon Lube

Doktor Howl

None of this would have happened, had I been elected a few years back.
Molon Lube

altered

Quote from: Doktor Howl on March 18, 2020, 09:12:02 PM

You were, in fact, elected to be our 21st Century, so this is actually all your fault.
"I am that worst of all type of criminal...I cannot bring myself to do what you tell me, because you told me."

There's over 100 of us in this meat-suit. You'd think it runs like a ship, but it's more like a hundred and ten angry ghosts having an old-school QuakeWorld tournament, three people desperately trying to make sure the gamers don't go hungry or soil themselves, and the Facilities manager weeping in the corner as the garbage piles high.

Juana

Quote from: altered on March 18, 2020, 09:14:24 PM

You were, in fact, elected to be our 21st Century, so this is actually all your fault.
:lulz:

Zenpatista

Quote from: altered on March 18, 2020, 09:14:24 PM

Don't blame me. I voted for Howl. Who was the running mate again? TGRR?

Anyway, our school has just stated they're planning to stay online through the first summer session. They'll decide go/no-go on May 1 whether or not to have activities on campus after July 1.

In the meantime, I've had 7+ zoom meetings in 2 days and their stock is soaring.

The Wizard Joseph

Quote from: Doktor Howl on March 18, 2020, 09:10:11 PM
Quote from: Cain on March 18, 2020, 08:39:37 PM

Our species' epitaph should be "We should let it work its way through the population" or maybe "It's a hoax."

Here lies humanity.
"Herd immunity"
Didn't work.
You can't get out backward.  You have to go forward to go back.. better press on! - Willie Wonka, PBUH

Life can be seen as a game with no reset button, no extra lives, and if the power goes out there is no restarting.  If that's all you see life as you are not long for this world, and never will get it.

"Ayn Rand never swung a hammer in her life and had serious dominance issues" - The Fountainhead

"World domination is such an ugly phrase. I prefer to call it world optimisation."
- Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality :lulz:

"You program the controller to do the thing, only it doesn't do the thing.  It does something else entirely, or nothing at all.  It's like voting."
- Billy, Aug 21st, 2019

"It's not even chaos anymore. It's BANAL."
- Doktor Hamish Howl

altered

I'm on a train ride to some random place, Michigan right now. Train is surprisingly low occupancy, even considering COVID and no one wanting to go to Michigan. Not a total ghost town though.

I'm torn between laughter, tears, and rage, but I have to hold it in. I'm counting on me.
"I am that worst of all type of criminal...I cannot bring myself to do what you tell me, because you told me."

There's over 100 of us in this meat-suit. You'd think it runs like a ship, but it's more like a hundred and ten angry ghosts having an old-school QuakeWorld tournament, three people desperately trying to make sure the gamers don't go hungry or soil themselves, and the Facilities manager weeping in the corner as the garbage piles high.

The Wizard Joseph

Quote from: altered on March 18, 2020, 10:55:14 PM
I'm on a train ride to some random place, Michigan right now. Train is surprisingly low occupancy, even considering COVID and no one wanting to go to Michigan. Not a total ghost town though.

I'm torn between laughter, tears, and rage, but I have to hold it in. I'm counting on me.

I'm rooting for you altered. Your ability to endure alone has earned my respect. The fact that you're also super smart and scrappy is just icing. You keep on trucking girl! I'll do the same.
You can't get out backward.  You have to go forward to go back.. better press on! - Willie Wonka, PBUH

Life can be seen as a game with no reset button, no extra lives, and if the power goes out there is no restarting.  If that's all you see life as you are not long for this world, and never will get it.

"Ayn Rand never swung a hammer in her life and had serious dominance issues" - The Fountainhead

"World domination is such an ugly phrase. I prefer to call it world optimisation."
- Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality :lulz:

"You program the controller to do the thing, only it doesn't do the thing.  It does something else entirely, or nothing at all.  It's like voting."
- Billy, Aug 21st, 2019

"It's not even chaos anymore. It's BANAL."
- Doktor Hamish Howl

altered

It helps to learn that a nu metal band so shitty even I can't find any reason someone would like them is getting bullied so hard by furries that they have tweeted 4700 times about how they have a ton of Pandora listeners. There is nothing about this shit that isn't funny.

Trapt sucks, by the way, and I say that as someone who LIKES THAT GENRE. Also they're Trump supporters and just look at this shit I'm dying on public transit https://twitter.com/chinchillazllla/status/1240372791892901888

Al Qədic

40 pages of this thread have come and gone, and I'm back again. I'll read through em some other time, I have a final portfolio to cobble together now that it's the end of the day and my other two class' final projects have gone unfinished. Last quarter was less astro-hyper-shitty than I thought it'd be; turns out I barely passed Greek I, and passed the other classes better than I thought I would. So that's nice.

Granted, I didn't buy the book for the class that I replaced Greeek II with this quarter, couldn't bring myself to write 7 pages about one of my favorite Tom Lehrer songs, and said class is one of the aforementioned two that have unfinished final papers. For another class, I could barely bring myself to read anything other than Assata Shakur's autobiography, and that's the *other* class I haven't finished the paper on, but I'm trying not to get bogged-down in the self-shit about all that too much. I keep getting bogged down by the holies, drop, and the acrid taste in my mouth from all the bullets I'm preparing to bite.

I am both itching to Do Things, and mortified to begin trying. But, c'est la vie. The only other thing I know for sure is I'm tired of self-induced radio-silence interspersed with sad whining and the wet sounds of placation. But, thanks to some of you mad bastards and your stupid meaningful words, I'm slowly becoming more ready to turn dials and flip switches in my brainmeat again.

Here's to The FUTURE.
There is no reason to,
Be ashamed of poetry. It,
Is natural. But you should,
Still do it in private,
And wash your hands afterward.