Open Bar: Subpoenaed by Congress, but still refusing to testify

Started by altered, November 21, 2019, 05:11:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pergamos

My wife is a nurse, her hospital is almost out of protective gear.  Fortunately she and I are both healthy and not too old so we will probably survive when she inevitably catches corona.  Unfortunately she was just warned she might have diabetes, which would make her chances of surviving considerably lower.

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Pergamos on March 29, 2020, 11:13:34 AM
My wife is a nurse, her hospital is almost out of protective gear.  Fortunately she and I are both healthy and not too old so we will probably survive when she inevitably catches corona.  Unfortunately she was just warned she might have diabetes, which would make her chances of surviving considerably lower.

Diabetes itself won't hurt her chances.  Complications from diabetes will.

Get that blood sugar down.  I have a few useful tips if desired, though presumably as a health professional, she knows them already.
Molon Lube

Frontside Back

How disrespectful would it be to play off the rent strike thing as april fools gag?

I live in a welfare state and I've heard no one even talking about the thing. My personal rent situation is quite okay cause I can always take more student loans, but the idea of first horrifying my landlord, and then expressing a complete lack of spine just makes me giggle. Giggling means it's a good idea right?

Worst case scenario, the landlord is a complete grayface, I end up homeless and save loads of money.

Don't get me wrong, if anyone is doing the strike either because they must, or out of solidarity for those who do I wish them all the best. If I grow balls over night I might join you in your serious struggle for a better world. It just doesn't make me giggle.
"I want to be the Borg but I want to do it alone."

Juana

I think my sister, who is still being paid and makes like $50k is considering it. I think it's a bit distasteful to turn it into a joke since a fuck ton of people don't have any other option but ymmv.

We're at 100 confirmed cases and I'm sure the real number is considerably higher. I'm probably gonna take my dog for a walk later and I'll be peeking at the grocery store parking lot to see what it looks like. Hopefully it's even more empty than it already was (about a half the usual last I looked). My kitchen can't get installed soon enough.
"I dispose of obsolete meat machines.  Not because I hate them (I do) and not because they deserve it (they do), but because they are in the way and those older ones don't meet emissions codes.  They emit too much.  You don't like them and I don't like them, so spare me the hysteria."

Suu

I love how all the OG Peedees are coming back just in time for all the shit to go down.

It was like the pandemic put out the Spag Signal or some shit.
Sovereign Episkopos-Princess Kaousuu; Esq., Battle Nun, Bene Gesserit.
Our Lady of Perpetual Confusion; 1st Church of Discordia

"Add a dab of lavender to milk, leave town with an orange, and pretend you're laughing at it."

Juana

Quote from: Suu on March 31, 2020, 12:35:47 AM
I love how all the OG Peedees are coming back just in time for all the shit to go down.

Right? A synchronicity for sure.
"I dispose of obsolete meat machines.  Not because I hate them (I do) and not because they deserve it (they do), but because they are in the way and those older ones don't meet emissions codes.  They emit too much.  You don't like them and I don't like them, so spare me the hysteria."

The Wizard Joseph

I'm currently having trouble with both fb and the forum. For some reason the front pages of both load up just fine, but as soon as I try to reply to something or post it's like pulling teeth waiting after I post only to get a null field error here or some shit and a perpetual load icon on the fb website. I'm having less trouble here, but I've had to copy the text of at least four attempts to post and try reposting later. Not even sure this will get through.
You can't get out backward.  You have to go forward to go back.. better press on! - Willie Wonka, PBUH

Life can be seen as a game with no reset button, no extra lives, and if the power goes out there is no restarting.  If that's all you see life as you are not long for this world, and never will get it.

"Ayn Rand never swung a hammer in her life and had serious dominance issues" - The Fountainhead

"World domination is such an ugly phrase. I prefer to call it world optimisation."
- Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality :lulz:

"You program the controller to do the thing, only it doesn't do the thing.  It does something else entirely, or nothing at all.  It's like voting."
- Billy, Aug 21st, 2019

"It's not even chaos anymore. It's BANAL."
- Doktor Hamish Howl

Junkenstein

Quote from: Juana on March 31, 2020, 02:05:13 AM

Right? A synchronicity for sure.

Is anyone taking bets yet on which of us caused it? I've heard a fair few silly theories lately but not one has pulled out occams razor and pointed it at p3nt. I've got 2 euro on Payne as an outside bet.

Another 2 weeks and rev ill fitting suit will be back showing how the pox spreads via weed farms.
Nine naked Men just walking down the road will cause a heap of trouble for all concerned.

Doktor Howl

Here at the beginning, here at the end.   :lulz:
Molon Lube

Doktor Howl

Quote from: The Wizard Joseph on March 31, 2020, 02:17:49 AM
I'm currently having trouble with both fb and the forum. For some reason the front pages of both load up just fine, but as soon as I try to reply to something or post it's like pulling teeth waiting after I post only to get a null field error here or some shit and a perpetual load icon on the fb website. I'm having less trouble here, but I've had to copy the text of at least four attempts to post and try reposting later. Not even sure this will get through.

It's not the BBS.  I have had those problems in the past.  Then I scrub the hard drive, nuke cookies, and update my drivers.

Clears it up.

There was that one time that dreamhost fucked everything up gloriously and had a 5 minute refresh, but that was years ago.
Molon Lube

The Wizard Joseph

Quote from: Doktor Howl on March 31, 2020, 04:23:41 AM
Quote from: The Wizard Joseph on March 31, 2020, 02:17:49 AM

It's not the BBS.  I have had those problems in the past.  Then I scrub the hard drive, nuke cookies, and update my drivers.

Clears it up.

There was that one time that dreamhost fucked everything up gloriously and had a 5 minute refresh, but that was years ago.

Probably my browser then. It comes and goes. I still primarily use a cheap burner and wifi. I have been getting things set up for a simple computer desk to use an older but quite functional laptop and monitor set up. I intend to start doing a lot of video conferencing and am considering which platforms might be worth buying into to sublet hosting time for gamers and other mass group activities. There's money in a friendly face and being able to speak publicly to anyone who wants to come by. Same for counciling services and training exercises. I'm considering floating the idea of a virtual dojo to my sensei/bestie that I used to live above back in the bad old bedbug days. The lack of actual physical contact will limit what he can teach, but the internal aspects of the arts are mostly meditation exercises.
You can't get out backward.  You have to go forward to go back.. better press on! - Willie Wonka, PBUH

Life can be seen as a game with no reset button, no extra lives, and if the power goes out there is no restarting.  If that's all you see life as you are not long for this world, and never will get it.

"Ayn Rand never swung a hammer in her life and had serious dominance issues" - The Fountainhead

"World domination is such an ugly phrase. I prefer to call it world optimisation."
- Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality :lulz:

"You program the controller to do the thing, only it doesn't do the thing.  It does something else entirely, or nothing at all.  It's like voting."
- Billy, Aug 21st, 2019

"It's not even chaos anymore. It's BANAL."
- Doktor Hamish Howl

altered

I have something strange: either some flavor of illness, or the UNFORTUNATELY TIMED beginnings of my smoker's cough.

There is no fever, no tiredness and the cough is more like sludge than a dry cough, so I'm not fearing the plague, but I figure I'll mention it now in case I end up as an unmarked grave in the backwoods of Michigan.

More seriously, plague vectors for me are minimal. I am unconcerned, except for the hyperawareness and paranoia of Plague Times.

Interview tomorrow, though I had thought it was today because I am a gigantic idiot.
"I am that worst of all type of criminal...I cannot bring myself to do what you tell me, because you told me."

There's over 100 of us in this meat-suit. You'd think it runs like a ship, but it's more like a hundred and ten angry ghosts having an old-school QuakeWorld tournament, three people desperately trying to make sure the gamers don't go hungry or soil themselves, and the Facilities manager weeping in the corner as the garbage piles high.

Doktor Howl

Quote from: altered on March 31, 2020, 05:48:49 AM
I have something strange: either some flavor of illness, or the UNFORTUNATELY TIMED beginnings of my smoker's cough.

There is no fever, no tiredness and the cough is more like sludge than a dry cough, so I'm not fearing the plague, but I figure I'll mention it now in case I end up as an unmarked grave in the backwoods of Michigan.

More seriously, plague vectors for me are minimal. I am unconcerned, except for the hyperawareness and paranoia of Plague Times.

Interview tomorrow, though I had thought it was today because I am a gigantic idiot.

There's a sinus thing going around that has a dry cough.
Molon Lube

altered

Great fun, I bet a lot of people are terrifying themselves. I'll keep that in mind in case someone starts freaking out around here.

Fortunately, I have a cough like I'm one of those video game enemies that launches poison loogies like the world's grossest artillery division. Combined with lack of fever, I feel pretty safe.
"I am that worst of all type of criminal...I cannot bring myself to do what you tell me, because you told me."

There's over 100 of us in this meat-suit. You'd think it runs like a ship, but it's more like a hundred and ten angry ghosts having an old-school QuakeWorld tournament, three people desperately trying to make sure the gamers don't go hungry or soil themselves, and the Facilities manager weeping in the corner as the garbage piles high.

Doktor Howl

Quote from: altered on March 31, 2020, 05:58:07 AM
Great fun, I bet a lot of people are terrifying themselves. I'll keep that in mind in case someone starts freaking out around here.

Fortunately, I have a cough like I'm one of those video game enemies that launches poison loogies like the world's grossest artillery division. Combined with lack of fever, I feel pretty safe.

I self-isolated for 4 days the week before last with that bug.

But that's because there were no MAGA rallies.
Molon Lube