Open Bar: Subpoenaed by Congress, but still refusing to testify

Started by altered, November 21, 2019, 05:11:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cain

If you don't know the Mass Effect storyline I would say give it a go.

Otherwise, I would recommend HBO's The Outsider. It's a Stephen King adaptation, so you know it's not going to be terrible, and the cast are all pretty good. It is some pretty dark and horrific content matter though, of course.

The Wizard Joseph

My friend.. my.. my Music Theory Professor friend is more dangerous than I ever beliieved. The things he did to me... I don't know if the link still works, but it was like a nightmare fun-house that I couldn't get out of. I had to close the tab. It was the only way.

http://3.18.112.125:8080/timbre/yocco1/experiment
You can't get out backward.  You have to go forward to go back.. better press on! - Willie Wonka, PBUH

Life can be seen as a game with no reset button, no extra lives, and if the power goes out there is no restarting.  If that's all you see life as you are not long for this world, and never will get it.

"Ayn Rand never swung a hammer in her life and had serious dominance issues" - The Fountainhead

"World domination is such an ugly phrase. I prefer to call it world optimisation."
- Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality :lulz:

"You program the controller to do the thing, only it doesn't do the thing.  It does something else entirely, or nothing at all.  It's like voting."
- Billy, Aug 21st, 2019

"It's not even chaos anymore. It's BANAL."
- Doktor Hamish Howl

Juana

AT LAST, not only are we mostly done painting (after finishing the fucking drywall), the cabinets are being installed! We haven't had a kitchen since literally November and the end of this bullshit is in sight.
"I dispose of obsolete meat machines.  Not because I hate them (I do) and not because they deserve it (they do), but because they are in the way and those older ones don't meet emissions codes.  They emit too much.  You don't like them and I don't like them, so spare me the hysteria."

Doktor Howl

Today I found out that I have an aunt, 4 cousins, and 9 second cousins I never knew about.

My grandfather got up to monkey business in England during the second world war, and there were results, which we found out from his declassified records.  I just got an email back from one of my "new" cousins, and we're going to do a mass skype thing to welcome them all into the Howl family.

Life is weird, but can sometimes have it's nice moments.
Molon Lube

The Wizard Joseph

THAT is pretty cool. I knida like the sound of s "Clan Howl" and am now imagining a LOT of Scottish folk sort of "slav squatting" in kilts... I kind got what I deserved there, But It's neat that your kin are getting to know ya!
You can't get out backward.  You have to go forward to go back.. better press on! - Willie Wonka, PBUH

Life can be seen as a game with no reset button, no extra lives, and if the power goes out there is no restarting.  If that's all you see life as you are not long for this world, and never will get it.

"Ayn Rand never swung a hammer in her life and had serious dominance issues" - The Fountainhead

"World domination is such an ugly phrase. I prefer to call it world optimisation."

"You program the controller to do the thing, only it doesn't do the thing.  It does something else entirely, or nothing at all.  It's like voting."
- Billy, Aug 21st, 2019

- Doktor Hamish Howl

Doktor Howl

On a less pleasant point, I now know what my grandfather did from December 1944 - June 1947.

I mean, I'm proud of him, but it's not pleasant.  He basically helped shut down death camps for a few months, then spent the rest of the time rounding up escaped guards and SS officers for their necktie parties.

His records mention that he is almost unique in the fact that nobody had accidents in his custody, and all lived to meet the hangman.  I always remember him as being cold blooded, but that's a whole new level.

(Note:  This is not the terrible old man.  This was my other grandfather, who died in 1990.)
Molon Lube

Doktor Howl

Quote from: The Wizard Joseph on April 13, 2020, 08:30:48 PM
THAT is pretty cool. I knida like the sound of s "Clan Howl" and am now imagining a LOT of Scottish folk sort of "slav squatting" in kilts... I kind got what I deserved there, But It's neat that your kin are getting to know ya!

Our family has never been big on formalities like being married, running around, etc.  I mean, granddad should be ashamed of cheating on his wife, but that doesn't reflect on Kathleen and her offspring.  She's family now.
Molon Lube

The Wizard Joseph

Quote from: Doktor Howl on April 13, 2020, 08:31:38 PM
On a less pleasant point, I now know what my grandfather did from December 1944 - June 1947.

I mean, I'm proud of him, but it's not pleasant.  He basically helped shut down death camps for a few months, then spent the rest of the time rounding up escaped guards and SS officers for their necktie parties.

His records mention that he is almost unique in the fact that nobody had accidents in his custody, and all lived to meet the hangman.  I always remember him as being cold blooded, but that's a whole new level.

(Note:  This is not the terrible old man.  This was my other grandfather, who died in 1990.)

THAT IS AMAZING!!

- Billy, Aug 21st, 2019

- Doktor Hamish Howl

Cain

Sometimes, doing it by the book is the very worst thing you can do to someone.

The Wizard Joseph

- Billy, Aug 21st, 2019

- Doktor Hamish Howl

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Cain on April 13, 2020, 08:46:49 PM

My grandfather would have considered doing them in as being the same as letting them escape. 

What's funny is that he never lied to us about what he did overseas, he said he "helped clean up the mess" which is accurate.
Molon Lube

Cain

Quote from: Doktor Howl on April 13, 2020, 11:57:05 PM

My grandfather would have considered doing them in as being the same as letting them escape. 

What's funny is that he never lied to us about what he did overseas, he said he "helped clean up the mess" which is accurate.

I would tend to agree, as it happens. I'm against the death penalty on general principle (it's hard to take back what you did), but doing people in in quiet corners doesn't send the right message.

The right message of course being "if this ever happens again, someone will come after you. They won't stop, they will expose you to the world, and then you will go to prison for the rest of your life. Or you will hang. Not for being an "enemy" who lost a war, not for your skin colour or religion. But because of your own actions, or inactions, for your complete and utter moral failings."

The Wizard Joseph

Quote from: Doktor Howl on April 13, 2020, 11:57:05 PM

I never thought of it that way, but yeah. I have to agree. Once you let it get personal, they kinda "win" just a little bit in death as a martyr of sorts rather than as a duly processed criminal. Fuck. I kinda have to rethink some things now.

- Billy, Aug 21st, 2019

- Doktor Hamish Howl

Juana

Congrats on the expanded family, Roger, and the cool Grandpa.

Also, shit should be calming down wrt home renovation eating up my entire fucking day soon (hence why I haven't done any Zoom things) but perhaps would anybody be interested in watch parties via Zoom or Discord?
"I dispose of obsolete meat machines.  Not because I hate them (I do) and not because they deserve it (they do), but because they are in the way and those older ones don't meet emissions codes.  They emit too much.  You don't like them and I don't like them, so spare me the hysteria."

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Juana on April 14, 2020, 03:39:46 AM
Congrats on the expanded family, Roger, and the cool Grandpa.

There's always room in the Howl.

QuoteAlso, shit should be calming down wrt home renovation eating up my entire fucking day soon (hence why I haven't done any Zoom things) but perhaps would anybody be interested in watch parties via Zoom or Discord?

Things have been balls to the wall at work, which is why I haven't been on Zoom, either.
Molon Lube