News:

That line from the father's song in Mary Poppins, where he's going on about how nothing can go wrong, in Britain in 1910.  That's about the point I realized the boy was gonna die in a trench.

Main Menu

Open Bar: Subpoenaed by Congress, but still refusing to testify

Started by altered, November 21, 2019, 05:11:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hooplala

Quote from: The Johnny on April 28, 2020, 08:33:09 AM
Quote from: Doktor Howl on April 28, 2020, 01:05:49 AM
Quote from: The Johnny on April 28, 2020, 01:00:18 AM
Quote from: Junkenstein on April 27, 2020, 11:51:08 PM
Quote from: Hoopla! on April 27, 2020, 09:50:19 PM
Quote from: Doktor Howl on April 27, 2020, 04:52:35 PM
Quote from: Hoopla! on April 27, 2020, 04:51:50 PM
So when exactly did we slip into horrormirth 24/7?

In Arizona, it will be April 30th.

It feels like I have been living smack dab in the middle of it for years.

I need to check exact dates, but we entered the strange times about 8 years ago and I've been preaching the dawn of the horrible times over the last 18ish months, so it would be around 1985ish.

I have horrid memory, but werent we all in PD having a huge meltdown? Like everyones life full of stress and everyone going at each others throat. I dont even remember if there was something in the social system or whatever system, just it happened to coincide for all of us on a personal level.

Until a couple of years ago, PD was ALWAYS a rumble.  Right from the very beginning.

No like, beyond that, there was a cyclical thing about "the February mood", but the 2012 one was particularly toxic

When was the Large Hadron Collider turned on? I blame that thing.
"Soon all of us will have special names" — Professor Brian O'Blivion

"Now's not the time to get silly, so wear your big boots and jump on the garbage clowns." — Bob Dylan?

"Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)"
— Walt Whitman

Trivial

My boss used the phrase, "He just cost us $10,000 in billable stupid," and it really accurately protrayed what happened.
Sexy Octopus of the Next Noosphere Horde

There are more nipples in the world than people.

altered

Tomorrow may be very strange depending on how much I can trust the state government.

I figured out why I wasn't getting unemployment. And after I fixed it, it said "next business day".

For four weeks minimum of payment.

I lost track of how many times I filled the form out, but definitely no less than four. No more than six either, but that's past the point of giving a fuck.

I might be financially okay, at least, for a little bit.
"I am that worst of all type of criminal...I cannot bring myself to do what you tell me, because you told me."

There's over 100 of us in this meat-suit. You'd think it runs like a ship, but it's more like a hundred and ten angry ghosts having an old-school QuakeWorld tournament, three people desperately trying to make sure the gamers don't go hungry or soil themselves, and the Facilities manager weeping in the corner as the garbage piles high.

Cramulus

THAT'S a relief. Do you have any leads on a living situation yet?

altered

Quote from: Cramulus on April 29, 2020, 01:38:37 PM
THAT'S a relief. Do you have any leads on a living situation yet?

Yeah, but only for an unknown length of time in Texas. Fort Worth. No one else has the space or energy to put someone up.
"I am that worst of all type of criminal...I cannot bring myself to do what you tell me, because you told me."

There's over 100 of us in this meat-suit. You'd think it runs like a ship, but it's more like a hundred and ten angry ghosts having an old-school QuakeWorld tournament, three people desperately trying to make sure the gamers don't go hungry or soil themselves, and the Facilities manager weeping in the corner as the garbage piles high.

The Wizard Joseph

Ok the Zoom room is up and running. should be up until midnight central time.
You can't get out backward.  You have to go forward to go back.. better press on! - Willie Wonka, PBUH

Life can be seen as a game with no reset button, no extra lives, and if the power goes out there is no restarting.  If that's all you see life as you are not long for this world, and never will get it.

"Ayn Rand never swung a hammer in her life and had serious dominance issues" - The Fountainhead

"World domination is such an ugly phrase. I prefer to call it world optimisation."
- Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality :lulz:

"You program the controller to do the thing, only it doesn't do the thing.  It does something else entirely, or nothing at all.  It's like voting."
- Billy, Aug 21st, 2019

"It's not even chaos anymore. It's BANAL."
- Doktor Hamish Howl

Juana

TriviQ, you can't say that and not tell the story! *Chin hands* spill the tea!

Hooray for money, Alter!! I'm sorry to hear TX is a temporary solution tho.
"I dispose of obsolete meat machines.  Not because I hate them (I do) and not because they deserve it (they do), but because they are in the way and those older ones don't meet emissions codes.  They emit too much.  You don't like them and I don't like them, so spare me the hysteria."

Trivial

Quote from: Juana on April 29, 2020, 08:32:57 PM

I'm not sure how to explain it in an interesting way, it's not like poopslosions that occur with Roger's work. 

We deal with weather machines that put graphics up for TV stations.  In the US, at least right now, it's incredibly easy to do because the data is free* and in a format we've already deciphered to make pretty for TV. Canada also gives us nicely formatted data.  Other countries, well you need someone who can look at what they have and then make some sort of automation to make it like the US data.  At least it's easier than making the software use the data.

Anyway, sales says to data guy, is this good?  Data guy says yes, it's all there, all good.  Sales guy puts sales through sends them equipment.  Trainer tries training, and they have no data. Tech finds data sources, send to machine. No data in graphics. Programmer looks at machine, sees data sees everything working, nothing wrong in software.

Data guy neglected to mention the bespoke script he'd have to make to make the data nice. Never got the work order from sales, never worked on it. All good to him meant that yes he has something to work with that he can make readable, not that it was readable out of the box.

So anyway, a lot of work was done on an assumption that something was good and no one else checked to see was good. 

*if you have a NOAA port, something like $70,000
Sexy Octopus of the Next Noosphere Horde

There are more nipples in the world than people.

Juana

"I dispose of obsolete meat machines.  Not because I hate them (I do) and not because they deserve it (they do), but because they are in the way and those older ones don't meet emissions codes.  They emit too much.  You don't like them and I don't like them, so spare me the hysteria."

altered

Weirdly, the site says the payments were issued today, but I haven't received them still. My assumption is a 48 hour hold or something, but I worry because if I don't receive them... it is impossible to reach anybody to ask about it. Like, "your hold time may be two hours or more" followed by force-disconnecting your call, so you can't hold.

Doktor Howl

[quote author=T̼̞̼ͅr̳̬̤̖̱͚̮̘̜̦̦i̲̩̝͕̣̲̪v̺͇̫̯͉͖͈͖͔̺̰̣͉̟̻̫̭i̦̖Q link=topic=38784.msg1438645#msg1438645 date=1588193367]

I'm not sure how to explain it in an interesting way, it's not like poopslosions that occur with Roger's work.  [/quote]

That was years ago.  Today we heated a stuffed bison to 101.7 F as a test.

Molon Lube

Doktor Howl

My boss used the phrase, "He just cost us $10,000 in billable stupid," and it really accurately protrayed what happened.

Welcome to Hamish's World.
Molon Lube

The Wizard Joseph

Got an official letter from the IRS today. Thought it might be some problem with my federal returns, but no. It's MUCH worse than that. It was Donnie's letter of whatever telling me I got that stimulus. It's so LIKE him and his whole methodology. I know for a fact because I just checked today that I got no money, and yet here he is making sure he personally gets credit while I get stiffed. That is literally his ENTIRE business model.
:dream:
You can't get out backward.  You have to go forward to go back.. better press on! - Willie Wonka, PBUH

Life can be seen as a game with no reset button, no extra lives, and if the power goes out there is no restarting.  If that's all you see life as you are not long for this world, and never will get it.

"Ayn Rand never swung a hammer in her life and had serious dominance issues" - The Fountainhead

"World domination is such an ugly phrase. I prefer to call it world optimisation."

"You program the controller to do the thing, only it doesn't do the thing.  It does something else entirely, or nothing at all.  It's like voting."
- Billy, Aug 21st, 2019

- Doktor Hamish Howl

altered

In a shocking turn of events, my only plan (Texas) imploded one hour after I last posted. I had to cancel the ticket, it is not and will never be an option, and the worst part is I can't even be mad: it was an emergency that has nothing to do with me, there just won't be anyone there.

So I have to find an option for May 7th still.

I had the only service that didn't outright tell me to ask elsewhere try not to laugh when I asked about their waiting list. I called a few crisis lines and was told by all of them that there is no solution. None. Period.

Anyone have any ideas, places to call, resources to dig into that Google isn't giving me?

Will also accept any sort of call. I'm stuck in my head and it's a fucked up place, I need an escape.

The Wizard Joseph

Quote from: altered on April 30, 2020, 02:03:16 AM
In a shocking turn of events, my only plan (Texas) imploded one hour after I last posted. I had to cancel the ticket, it is not and will never be an option, and the worst part is I can't even be mad: it was an emergency that has nothing to do with me, there just won't be anyone there.

So I have to find an option for May 7th still.

I had the only service that didn't outright tell me to ask elsewhere try not to laugh when I asked about their waiting list. I called a few crisis lines and was told by all of them that there is no solution. None. Period.

Anyone have any ideas, places to call, resources to dig into that Google isn't giving me?

Will also accept any sort of call. I'm stuck in my head and it's a fucked up place, I need an escape.

Zoom room is open and you're always welcome. Not sure I can be of any help Absolutely certain I can do nothing effective and am myself pretty fucked up inside, but I'm around.

- Billy, Aug 21st, 2019

- Doktor Hamish Howl