News:

If you really want to hurt your parents, and you don't have the nerve to be a homosexual, the least you can do is go into the arts. But do not use semicolons. They are transvestite hermaphrodites, standing for absolutely nothing. All they do is show you've been to college.

Main Menu

Open Bar: Subpoenaed by Congress, but still refusing to testify

Started by altered, November 21, 2019, 05:11:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cramulus

Cain

Pergamos

Quote from: Ari Atari on June 09, 2020, 01:16:42 PM
moist likely, not.  :lulz:

i kinda dropped out eight-ish years ago. pursuing my own madness.
which is something i still do these days.

just figured i find out whatever this is now, and say hi at the very least.
frankly, the less anyone remembers the better - but it would be weird to start a fresh account just because of my past. gotta stand for who you became, and where you came from. yadda yadda

so, who are you then? :3

I'm Pergamos, I'm mostly pretty quiet, but I made a fool of Rev What's his name during a drug prohibition debate in an epic enough way that someone shopped our avis together, and I run a decent GURPS game.

minuspace

Quote from: altered on June 09, 2020, 10:51:17 AM
I should have mentioned: if you don't eat animal sourced food products, take some Omega-3 supplements instead. It can't be just any fat, animal fats and Omega-3s are something like 8-12x more efficiently converted into DHA than plant fats. Olive oil might help if it's the real deal, the jury is out on that, but it is known that canola, rapeseed, coconut, peanut and so forth do fuck all for DHA production.

I do hemp seed hearts in my shake in the morning. If I don't my brain is God's chew toy for the day.

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Ari Atari on June 09, 2020, 12:10:37 PM
for lack of a better spot - another three years have gone by: and holy fuck did my outlook on life change beyond just getting fucking old. :3
there is actually a life worth living now. who would have thought this even existed??

but i guess that is mostly thanks to black market prescription hormones which finally put my brain into its rightful soup. and then hrt did its magic, partially to the body, which i am still somewhat trying to kinda live with; but most of all - to ye ol' brainbox: which can finally work as intended and damn did it click into place.

so yeah;i am kinda back. new and improved. eksky/planeswalker is dead - long live Ari, the tentacle queen. yadda yadda.
now back to lurking to see what you have all been up to as of late. i missed this place.

eyyo
/ari atari

Oh, yeah, Planeswalker.  I remember you.

We already have a tentacle queen, though.  Perhaps you could be Queen of Extra Eyeballs.
Molon Lube

Juana

That name rings a bell! Hello and welcome back aboard.
"I dispose of obsolete meat machines.  Not because I hate them (I do) and not because they deserve it (they do), but because they are in the way and those older ones don't meet emissions codes.  They emit too much.  You don't like them and I don't like them, so spare me the hysteria."

Freeky

Quote from: Bruno on June 07, 2020, 09:58:43 PM
Quote from: Freeky on June 04, 2020, 04:10:55 AM
Quote from: Cramulus on June 03, 2020, 01:11:35 PM
Quote from: Freeky on June 03, 2020, 02:13:55 AM
so, i'm getting really big into alternative ways to grow crops n shit, because while my fiancee really wants to go a traditional farm that uses horse technology route, i think the reality is just really going to be way too onerous for the two of us alone to produce the majority of our food for, what, minimum of five people at this point, two of those have dedicated incomes from outside sources (bee is one of them), two of us are severely impaired by chronic illness (i'm one of them), and then boi is gonna be a teen so probably not real hot on unpaid labor, which is totally fair i feel.

i really like the idea of going with grow bags and sack farming, because you can grow so fucking much food in a square meter cube, it's ridiculous.

here's a rad fucking video about it, 2:43 long https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bAXHn0-gxZA and here's another longer one, 11:26 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TBGx5nPHp3M

that's cool, I'd never heard of sack farming

how much space do you have?

none, at the moment. they're working their student debt off, and i'm waiting for SSI hearings. we're hoping for at least a couple acres of property, but who knows honestly when we'll even be ready. ideally, a property with ten or more acres, which isn't impossible in some states, but we might have to settle, which is fine tbh! sack farming would do us well, and i've done a lot of research into how to feasibly do aquaponics and hydroponics.

Is this all just to have something to do, or a situation where you're fucked if you fail?

neither really. vegetables are fucking expensive, and it might prove to be equally expensive to grow our own but we could theoretically sell excess at a farmer's market.

It would probably be wise to at least start out small, and see how that works out. Youtube videos are ok-ish for back porch scale projects, but anything like that on the scale of acres definitely needs some real adult supervision, which would mean, at a minimum, paying a consultant with a degree in the field.

tbh the acreage would be for the horses. we're both dead set on having a couple because horses are awesome. furthermore i'd like to do animal rescue work but that's way, way out of my sphere of knowledge and is just a nice thing to dream about

Freeky

Quote from: Suu on June 08, 2020, 05:40:21 PM
We're doing pretty good with container gardening in the backyard using just 5 gallon buckets with holes drilled in them, on top of pallets to keep them off the sand and draining. Another friend is using IKEA bags rigged with cement blocks into a square bed, and then filled with gravel for drainage, and soil. It works like gangbusters.

I have cherry tomatoes, zucchini, runner beans, marigolds, and lavender outside. In my lanai, I have rosemary and basil to control them so they don't take over the yard. Rosemary does amazingly well in Florida sand and heat, so it may do good in Arizona, too depending on the water requirements. It could be work looking into if you like to cook with it.

hell yeah, that sounds like an awesome setup. also this won't be in arizona, because fuck this fuckin heat.

QuoteIn other news, that tropical storm's low pressure finally hit the East Coast, and I've had a migraine since yesterday afternoon. If anybody has the remedy for pulling a fucking sword out from behind my left eye, let me know.

hot bath for me, even when it's hot out, but that's mostly for comfort, and in that comfort it takes the edge off because it's less burdensome to be in pain

Freeky

Quote from: Bu🤠ns on June 09, 2020, 01:23:10 AM
Quote from: Freeky on June 04, 2020, 04:10:55 AM
Quote from: Cramulus on June 03, 2020, 01:11:35 PM
Quote from: Freeky on June 03, 2020, 02:13:55 AM
so, i'm getting really big into alternative ways to grow crops n shit, because while my fiancee really wants to go a traditional farm that uses horse technology route, i think the reality is just really going to be way too onerous for the two of us alone to produce the majority of our food for, what, minimum of five people at this point, two of those have dedicated incomes from outside sources (bee is one of them), two of us are severely impaired by chronic illness (i'm one of them), and then boi is gonna be a teen so probably not real hot on unpaid labor, which is totally fair i feel.

i really like the idea of going with grow bags and sack farming, because you can grow so fucking much food in a square meter cube, it's ridiculous.

here's a rad fucking video about it, 2:43 long https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bAXHn0-gxZA and here's another longer one, 11:26 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TBGx5nPHp3M

that's cool, I'd never heard of sack farming

how much space do you have?

none, at the moment. they're working their student debt off, and i'm waiting for SSI hearings. we're hoping for at least a couple acres of property, but who knows honestly when we'll even be ready. ideally, a property with ten or more acres, which isn't impossible in some states, but we might have to settle, which is fine tbh! sack farming would do us well, and i've done a lot of research into how to feasibly do aquaponics and hydroponics.

Hi Freeky! long time no talk! Have you ever looked into a hugelkultur? I started one before i had to leave it abruptly.

hell yeah! i'll look at this! also hey!  :D

Freeky

Quote from: Ari Atari on June 09, 2020, 12:10:37 PM
for lack of a better spot - another three years have gone by: and holy fuck did my outlook on life change beyond just getting fucking old. :3
there is actually a life worth living now. who would have thought this even existed??

but i guess that is mostly thanks to black market prescription hormones which finally put my brain into its rightful soup. and then hrt did its magic, partially to the body, which i am still somewhat trying to kinda live with; but most of all - to ye ol' brainbox: which can finally work as intended and damn did it click into place.

so yeah;i am kinda back. new and improved. eksky/planeswalker is dead - long live Ari, the tentacle queen. yadda yadda.
now back to lurking to see what you have all been up to as of late. i missed this place.

eyyo
/ari atari

hello there!

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Freeky on June 09, 2020, 09:47:58 PM

tbh the acreage would be for the horses. we're both dead set on having a couple because horses are awesome. furthermore i'd like to do animal rescue work but that's way, way out of my sphere of knowledge and is just a nice thing to dream about

PD:  Bad for horses.
Molon Lube

Freeky

man, the difference between a freeky with an empty stomach, and a freeky with a stomach + 1 whole lasagna, is p intense. i feel all happy and satisfied and content. it's wild, i tell you.

Suu

Quote from: altered on June 09, 2020, 10:30:49 AM
Could be either, it sounds like. What helps me with cluster headaches...

Get the room as cold as possible to withstand without extra clothes. I have been setting the temperature to about 68F, YMMV.

Eat some high fat dairy or meat foods. Especially good is ice cream, it's also cold. This was inspired by learning that animal fats very efficiently produce DHA for the brain and nervous system to do basic maintenance on itself, but I imagine it works for other reasons too. Lots of reasons for this to have a useful effect.

Brush your teeth. The focus takes away from the agony, so it's easier for pain reduction tactics to actually work. Better still, tooth sensation is on the trigeminal nerve, so it interferes with the pain signals in the case of cluster headaches directly (cluster headaches are a kind of trigeminal neuralgia).

This goes with all the usual stuff: dark quiet spaces, lay down comfortably, etc. But I've had limited to no success with those, these (especially combined) work wonders.

Have you tried the ice pack behind the neck trick? I've had some luck.
Sovereign Episkopos-Princess Kaousuu; Esq., Battle Nun, Bene Gesserit.
Our Lady of Perpetual Confusion; 1st Church of Discordia

"Add a dab of lavender to milk, leave town with an orange, and pretend you're laughing at it."

Freeky

here's some real awesome shit: https://www.coursera.org/learn/best-practice-farming-sustainable-2050

there's a lot of information here, and while a lot of the examples are based on the farm that the university that came up with the program owns, there's still a lot of things worth knowing. i found it fascinating, though i haven't got past the water module yet - i struggle a bit with independent study.

chaotic neutral observer

Quote from: Freeky on June 09, 2020, 09:47:58 PM
vegetables are fucking expensive, and it might prove to be equally expensive to grow our own but we could theoretically sell excess at a farmer's market.

tbh the acreage would be for the horses. we're both dead set on having a couple

I am somewhat curious about the context in which vegetables are prohibitively expensive, but horses aren't.
Desine fata deum flecti sperare precando.