Open Bar: Subpoenaed by Congress, but still refusing to testify

Started by altered, November 21, 2019, 05:11:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Freeky

Quote from: Faust on June 17, 2020, 10:39:28 PM
As someone I admire a lot I am going to wait for his statement on this.

A writer being a sleeze with his fans is gross, and its possible. but some of the things being said on that thread dont add up.
While Ellis was a literary artistic success in the field of comic books he could never "make or break an aspiring career", he has made a modest living on his career as a writer but...
Just from reading around he has operated on the commercial perifery of the comics industry with a lot of indy work, the big two have always maintained contracts which mean the writer does not get rich, the first time that has happened for him ironically (despite an awesome catalogue of work) is when he made castlevenia a year ago.
He was not a publisher, and has had run ins with publishers like hellblazer ending because of the school shooting issue, he is not an industry darling like many other writers.

At best he could offer recommendation for writers and artists, but he was never in a position of control,  Not the equivalent of a producer like the others seen in #metoo.
Not a reciprocal arrangement where any of the womens careers depended on his opinion of them. This is not #metoo.

Seperately, if the allegations are true, what im seeing is a man who exploited his fanbase  cashing in on their admiration of him, but many of whom also happen to be his social group. It sucks if he did that, and sad they were devastated when he dropped them and moved on.
That would be disgusting and selfish and would lower my opinion of him as a person

I will wait and see what other stories come out and I want his side of the story too before I have an opinion one way or another

quick question, what the fuck do any of these women have to gain by lying about their experiences? because if you, admins on a forum that takes pride in rational thought, are going to fucking say well it's not the same because he doesn't have as much pull and therefore it's all possibly bullshit and i'll wait until ONE PERSON says something against ALL THESE WOMEN HE FUCKING VICTIMIZED, then you can damn well be sure the rabid fanboys are coming out of the woodwork to make rape threats, death threats, offer mockery and victim blaming, tell them to kill themselves, call them liars, and who knows what else. how fucking dare you fall into this trap of "i love this person's work so i don't want to believe it and i'll let his one privileged voice make an attempt to Make It Better somehow" when there are possibly dozens of victimized and traumatized young women coming forward in a culture where victim shaming and blaming is still disgustingly rampant? how dare you, when you're so much better than that? it doesn't matter that he's not as rich or famous or influential as movie producers or politicians, he still used his platform to take advantage of people, it's still Not Oh-Fucking-Kay.

altered

Erasing this cause at least 4/5ths of it was due to misplaced fucking outrage from elsewhere, still think the fact there are literal fucking screenshots of nazis planning on how to get left wingers cancelled and abandoned by the community for being sex pests means taking a passive view is better rn
"I am that worst of all type of criminal...I cannot bring myself to do what you tell me, because you told me."

There's over 100 of us in this meat-suit. You'd think it runs like a ship, but it's more like a hundred and ten angry ghosts having an old-school QuakeWorld tournament, three people desperately trying to make sure the gamers don't go hungry or soil themselves, and the Facilities manager weeping in the corner as the garbage piles high.

Freeky

reply redacted. i didn't know there were such screenshots. i apologize for saying what i said to you, should you have seen it. i would like to moderate what i said to faust but i'm still very pissed off and upset about the mentality like that that does exist i'm not sure yet how to go about it.

altered

Three months ago if I was as unstable as I am now I would have replied much the same but things are way worse than they have any right to be and I don't have the energy to to do the due diligence of checking post histories and join dates and connecting them to identities rn.

Honestly if an actual news outlet gets their hands on it that isn't a fucking tabloid or Sinclair owned then ill trust their reporting cause they actually vet claims made to them, but right now I can't find enough supporting information to be sure of anything other than "some people are sure saying some shit"
"I am that worst of all type of criminal...I cannot bring myself to do what you tell me, because you told me."

There's over 100 of us in this meat-suit. You'd think it runs like a ship, but it's more like a hundred and ten angry ghosts having an old-school QuakeWorld tournament, three people desperately trying to make sure the gamers don't go hungry or soil themselves, and the Facilities manager weeping in the corner as the garbage piles high.

Freeky

that's totally fair, and honestly i was gone for a long time and while i was active here, i didn't really get my identity, or know it was a thing.

if an actual news outlet reported something without misrepresenting the facts for THE RATINGS i think i'd die of shock.

altered

Read the whole article and not just the headline and intro paragraph, the meaningful bits are split between the second, third and fifth paragraphs because they lead with juicy bullshit, have to correct their reporting, reinforce that it's not just baseless speculation despite having to correct it, and finally put it in plain English for the lawyers

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Freeky on June 17, 2020, 11:50:48 PM

quick question, what the fuck do any of these women have to gain by lying about their experiences? because if you, admins on a forum that takes pride in rational thought, are going to fucking say well it's not the same because he doesn't have as much pull and therefore it's all possibly bullshit and i'll wait until ONE PERSON says something against ALL THESE WOMEN HE FUCKING VICTIMIZED, then you can damn well be sure the rabid fanboys are coming out of the woodwork to make rape threats, death threats, offer mockery and victim blaming, tell them to kill themselves, call them liars, and who knows what else. how fucking dare you fall into this trap of "i love this person's work so i don't want to believe it and i'll let his one privileged voice make an attempt to Make It Better somehow" when there are possibly dozens of victimized and traumatized young women coming forward in a culture where victim shaming and blaming is still disgustingly rampant? how dare you, when you're so much better than that? it doesn't matter that he's not as rich or famous or influential as movie producers or politicians, he still used his platform to take advantage of people, it's still Not Oh-Fucking-Kay.

Oh, the fucking drama.
Molon Lube

Doktor Howl

Quote from: altered on June 18, 2020, 12:43:43 AM
Erasing this cause at least 4/5ths of it was due to misplaced fucking outrage from elsewhere, still think the fact there are literal fucking screenshots of nazis planning on how to get left wingers cancelled and abandoned by the community for being sex pests means taking a passive view is better rn

That's what happened to George Takei.

Or almost happened.
Molon Lube

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Freeky on June 18, 2020, 01:00:57 AM
reply redacted. i didn't know there were such screenshots.

You never looked.

Quotei apologize for saying what i said to you, should you have seen it. i would like to moderate what i said to faust but i'm still very pissed off and upset about the mentality like that that does exist i'm not sure yet how to go about it.

So what?
Molon Lube

Doktor Howl

So, my youngest kid just got out of the hospital after a change in his anti-depression meds fucked up his heartbeat and breathing.

He's gonna be okay, but it was a hell of a scare.
Molon Lube

Faust

Quote from: Freeky on June 17, 2020, 11:50:48 PM
Quote from: Faust on June 17, 2020, 10:39:28 PM
As someone I admire a lot I am going to wait for his statement on this.

A writer being a sleeze with his fans is gross, and its possible. but some of the things being said on that thread dont add up.
While Ellis was a literary artistic success in the field of comic books he could never "make or break an aspiring career", he has made a modest living on his career as a writer but...
Just from reading around he has operated on the commercial perifery of the comics industry with a lot of indy work, the big two have always maintained contracts which mean the writer does not get rich, the first time that has happened for him ironically (despite an awesome catalogue of work) is when he made castlevenia a year ago.
He was not a publisher, and has had run ins with publishers like hellblazer ending because of the school shooting issue, he is not an industry darling like many other writers.

At best he could offer recommendation for writers and artists, but he was never in a position of control,  Not the equivalent of a producer like the others seen in #metoo.
Not a reciprocal arrangement where any of the womens careers depended on his opinion of them. This is not #metoo.

Seperately, if the allegations are true, what im seeing is a man who exploited his fanbase  cashing in on their admiration of him, but many of whom also happen to be his social group. It sucks if he did that, and sad they were devastated when he dropped them and moved on.
That would be disgusting and selfish and would lower my opinion of him as a person

I will wait and see what other stories come out and I want his side of the story too before I have an opinion one way or another

No. Im going to be blunt about this:
I do not suppport him
I do not support them
I am not dismissing what they have said
I will not be making a judgement call on a person because of a twitter post
I will not be making a judgement of a person without hearing thier side of the story.

If that seems callous, tough. I expect more before I'm going to write someone off. I will not support an accusation without evidence or a chance for  both parties to respond, nor do I ignore it.

If you are asking for more you are asking for a leap of faith. Faith is something I have short supply of
Sleepless nights at the chateau

The Wizard Joseph

Quote from: Doktor Howl on June 18, 2020, 02:30:12 AM
So, my youngest kid just got out of the hospital after a change in his anti-depression meds fucked up his heartbeat and breathing.

I'm glad he will be ok.  have experienced similar but different problems with such meds on a couple occasions.
You can't get out backward.  You have to go forward to go back.. better press on! - Willie Wonka, PBUH

Life can be seen as a game with no reset button, no extra lives, and if the power goes out there is no restarting.  If that's all you see life as you are not long for this world, and never will get it.

"Ayn Rand never swung a hammer in her life and had serious dominance issues" - The Fountainhead

"World domination is such an ugly phrase. I prefer to call it world optimisation."
- Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality :lulz:

"You program the controller to do the thing, only it doesn't do the thing.  It does something else entirely, or nothing at all.  It's like voting."
- Billy, Aug 21st, 2019

"It's not even chaos anymore. It's BANAL."
- Doktor Hamish Howl

Faust

Poor kid, hope he is feeling better soon
Sleepless nights at the chateau

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Faust on June 18, 2020, 10:23:54 AM

Poor kid, hope he is feeling better soon

He is on bedrest for a week, but is feeling much better, thanks.
Molon Lube

Doktor Howl

Quote from: The Wizard Joseph on June 18, 2020, 09:53:39 AM

I'm glad he will be ok.  have experienced similar but different problems with such meds on a couple occasions.

Same, on different meds, but nothing like this.
Molon Lube