News:

It is our goal to harrass and harangue you ever further toward our own incoherent brand of horse-laugh radicalism.

Main Menu

Open Bar: Subpoenaed by Congress, but still refusing to testify

Started by altered, November 21, 2019, 05:11:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

minuspace

minuspace

Faust

Quote from: proword on June 20, 2020, 10:31:24 PM
How's the angel?
[referring to Faust's progeny]

Shes happy out, windy in the evenings, lots of smiles and likes being sang Daisy Bell to.
Havent got a good routine on sleep yet, we alternate every second feed and that was fine until last week but being back working full time and up most of the night means my brain has basically turned to sludge
Sleepless nights at the chateau

minuspace

Glad to hear she's happy! It's windy here too, one guy taking advantage fantastically with some sunbeam-like sailboat, whipping about with a bright yellow sail. Otherwise, sorry to hear about the sleep, I can be a dick and look at what I used to take, to catch maybe a few hours that are at least restful without inhibiting necessary responsiveness when required.

Cramulus

welp, my fiance is back in the office

so I'm back to eating lunch shirtless, over the sink

la vida dolce

minuspace

Please allow me to re-update your firmware, it's "la dolce vita." Not some sweet Spanish waste.waist

ETA

I see what you did there

Trivial

Sigh, right when my Dad started to sound like a decent human, he got an article about the Junipero Serra statue being taken down and is parroting residents of Idiotsville again.
Sexy Octopus of the Next Noosphere Horde

There are more nipples in the world than people.

Juana

Earthquakes are always weird. Esp bc we don't normally get them (maybe once a year) and they seem to usually be at night.

Quote from: Trivial on June 23, 2020, 11:02:02 PM
Sigh, right when my Dad started to sound like a decent human, he got an article about the Junipero Serra statue being taken down and is parroting residents of Idiotsville again.
Dude founded nearly half the missions and the missions were a bad time for California Indigenous folks. The fuck. And it's just a statue.
"I dispose of obsolete meat machines.  Not because I hate them (I do) and not because they deserve it (they do), but because they are in the way and those older ones don't meet emissions codes.  They emit too much.  You don't like them and I don't like them, so spare me the hysteria."

Elder Iptuous

Is it the prevailing view on the board that there is no valid arguments against the statue destructions?

It doesn't seem simple to me.

Hmm... Perhaps it would be more effective to erect statues of these historical figures showcasing their flaws.  The opposition could rail against the ideas conveyed, but they would not have the righteous indignation that is lent by witnessing the destruction of historical public property.

Cramulus

hooplala

Quote from: Elder Iptuous on June 24, 2020, 07:23:06 PM

Is it the prevailing view on the board that there is no valid arguments against the statue destructions?

Hmm... Perhaps it would be more effective to erect statues of these historical figures showcasing their flaws.  The opposition could rail against the ideas conveyed, but they would not have the righteous indignation that is lent by witnessing the destruction of historical public property.

If the flaws are actually depicted in some manner (not sure how that would work in every case), I can see there being benefit. But if it's just a plaque under a regular statue, I would argue it's still glorifying the subject of the statue.

I haven't taken a poll around the board, but I will go on record as stating that I don't believe there is a decent argument against the statue destruction.
"Soon all of us will have special names" — Professor Brian O'Blivion

"Now's not the time to get silly, so wear your big boots and jump on the garbage clowns." — Bob Dylan?

"Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)"
— Walt Whitman

altered

Quote from: Elder Iptuous on June 24, 2020, 07:23:06 PM

Problem:

If you see a statue of a man, you don't know who, brutalizing another person, what is your take on who that man was, and what it says that there is a statue of him, and especially of him Doing That?

Firstly, the man was either a hero or a monster. The fact there is a statue of him proves the hero part, we don't lionize and celebrate monsters. So whoever he's brutalizing clearly deserves it.

In statues with a power dynamic, the one in charge is always, always the good guy. They're so hard and expensive to produce that there can be no risk of misstatement. I beg you to find a historical example of the inverse: you will not be able to. The closest you can get is purely colonizers and slavers and traitors being venerated for their perceived positive role, everyone else is a symbolic, mythological, or real world hero.

Why?

Statues are an effigy. The depicted figure is metaphorically standing right in front of you, witnessing you just as you are them. Statues on a pedestal are glorified, by the very fact they're on a pedestal. Standing on the ground, they're meant to be naturalistic. Their permanence says "this is how it should be" or "this is how it is."

About the only way you could put these statues on display without glorifying the people they depict is by building a statue jail to contain them, or sculpting a rubbish heap to mold them into. Depicting their horrible actions only makes the statues' very existence more cruel, a louder and harder to ignore taunt to those who were affected by those actions, even indirectly.
"I am that worst of all type of criminal...I cannot bring myself to do what you tell me, because you told me."

There's over 100 of us in this meat-suit. You'd think it runs like a ship, but it's more like a hundred and ten angry ghosts having an old-school QuakeWorld tournament, three people desperately trying to make sure the gamers don't go hungry or soil themselves, and the Facilities manager weeping in the corner as the garbage piles high.

Cain

I wouldn't mind the statues being put in a "museum of horrible shits from the Confederacy and otherwise", if it were going to be framed that way.

Especially in the case of the confederate "war heroes" statues, most of them were either put up during the 2nd wave of the KKK (early 1900s) or the Civil Rights Era, precisely to snub black people and minorities anyway, so I'm not especially heartbroken to see people reacting as they should to being snubbed: losing their shit and tearing stuff down.

Elder Iptuous

I was picturing Andrew Jackson killing an Indian.
Facial expression can send the correct message.
It doesn't negate the good things he did. But acknowledges the horrors.

Nibor the Priest

Quote from: Hoopla! on June 24, 2020, 07:56:38 PMIf the flaws are actually depicted in some manner (not sure how that would work in every case), I can see there being benefit. But if it’s just a plaque under a regular statue, I would argue it’s still glorifying the subject of the statue.

I haven’t taken a poll around the board, but I will go on record as stating that I don’t believe there is a decent argument against the statue destruction.

Paraguay came to an interesting compromise with this statue of former dictator Alfredo Stroessner: