Open Bar: Subpoenaed by Congress, but still refusing to testify

Started by altered, November 21, 2019, 05:11:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

altered

More like an extra 400 (gotta pay my own food) but that is definitely a possible addition. How much per piece on average? Best guess is fine, I know what I can churn out on command on average and can do the rough math from that.
"I am that worst of all type of criminal...I cannot bring myself to do what you tell me, because you told me."

There's over 100 of us in this meat-suit. You'd think it runs like a ship, but it's more like a hundred and ten angry ghosts having an old-school QuakeWorld tournament, three people desperately trying to make sure the gamers don't go hungry or soil themselves, and the Facilities manager weeping in the corner as the garbage piles high.

Cain

For say a 500 word piece? 10-20 dollars for the most basic kind of writing. the sort of stuff you can bang out in under an hour. Most of these places work on tiers of complexity in the pieces, and usually to be able to write the more complex pieces you need a certain amount of lesser ones done and reviews to not be below a certain rating to access the next tier.

Once you've done a few you'll usually have "templates" ready to go, which can also speed up the process considerably.

altered

It's definitely something. I considered and rejected it before because writing enough to make rent without any support was well into the realm of the unrealistic, but things have changed and this is actually a helpful puzzle piece to a complete solution.

Thanks.
"I am that worst of all type of criminal...I cannot bring myself to do what you tell me, because you told me."

There's over 100 of us in this meat-suit. You'd think it runs like a ship, but it's more like a hundred and ten angry ghosts having an old-school QuakeWorld tournament, three people desperately trying to make sure the gamers don't go hungry or soil themselves, and the Facilities manager weeping in the corner as the garbage piles high.

Cain

Writing things you like and enjoy to write about is definitely a losing strategy. Writing advertising copy and fake reviews? That's where you can earn something of a living. No problem.

altered

:lulz:

That's what I was looking at before! The real change was to my situation: I now have some backup and the place I'm going is way cheaper, so rather than making up 1200/mo in rent and utilities and some extra for food, I'm looking to round off about 200/mo for rent and some extra for (cheaper by far) food.

One of these would require I wrote in my sleep. The other is more like part time hours.

The Wizard Joseph

So I have been off of the forum for days and need to catch up some threads. My laptop was where I had my access set up, but I am using my new phone now. I got myself stranded in LaCrosse when the brakes on my car took a shit last night. I'm not getting back to my laptop any time soon so I set up to use my phone. Going to look for a part time job in the area to pay for repairs.

Dok I was VERY glad to hear that your wife had no evidence of heart attack. I hope that all test results come back clear and it's just a one off incident.

Altered I'm glad you got a stable spot for now and hope you can prosper as much as possible.
You can't get out backward.  You have to go forward to go back.. better press on! - Willie Wonka, PBUH

Life can be seen as a game with no reset button, no extra lives, and if the power goes out there is no restarting.  If that's all you see life as you are not long for this world, and never will get it.

"Ayn Rand never swung a hammer in her life and had serious dominance issues" - The Fountainhead

"World domination is such an ugly phrase. I prefer to call it world optimisation."
- Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality :lulz:

"You program the controller to do the thing, only it doesn't do the thing.  It does something else entirely, or nothing at all.  It's like voting."
- Billy, Aug 21st, 2019

"It's not even chaos anymore. It's BANAL."
- Doktor Hamish Howl

altered

That shit sucks a lot. Fuck. Are you otherwise okay?

Doktor Howl

Molon Lube

altered

I just got chased by a flying, screaming tennis ball of wings and stings.

Cicada killers are awesome, like giant fucking robber flies. This one literally tackled this cicada out of a tree, mashed it's head in the dirt, then flew it in a drunken circle to this perch.

I'd estimate our little murderer is an inch and a half to two inches in length and it politely waited for me to step aside the last time it nearly flew into me: I think it mistook me for a tree!

See attachment.

The Wizard Joseph

Quote from: altered on July 08, 2020, 04:02:59 PM
That shit sucks a lot. Fuck. Are you otherwise okay?

Yes. I have good friends and connections here. I'm doing alright in that sense. I'm pretty fucked up for other reasons I will make an entry in the plague diary for.

Quote from: Doktor Howl on July 08, 2020, 04:30:42 PM
Quote from: The Wizard Joseph on July 08, 2020, 03:28:00 PM
I got myself stranded in LaCrosse

:eek:

At least it isn't Appleton.

Or the horrid region known only as The Pines.
You can't get out backward.  You have to go forward to go back.. better press on! - Willie Wonka, PBUH

Life can be seen as a game with no reset button, no extra lives, and if the power goes out there is no restarting.  If that's all you see life as you are not long for this world, and never will get it.

"Ayn Rand never swung a hammer in her life and had serious dominance issues" - The Fountainhead

"World domination is such an ugly phrase. I prefer to call it world optimisation."
- Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality :lulz:

"You program the controller to do the thing, only it doesn't do the thing.  It does something else entirely, or nothing at all.  It's like voting."
- Billy, Aug 21st, 2019

"It's not even chaos anymore. It's BANAL."
- Doktor Hamish Howl

altered

Glad to hear you're not in immediate distress, TWJ. Let me know if you need human time, I'm doing kind of okay right now.

In other news:

I do this thing where I buy slightly overpriced "tactical" versions of stuff. I do this for two reasons:

First, it tends to come with absurd warranties and to be built like a tank. Being homeless, you need that sort of reliability.

Two, I'm a stupid edge lord who is a high value target for chuds. I enjoy the aesthetic and it protects my life.

Which brings me to my latest kind-of issue.

My lanyards from my last job at SimpliSafe are starting to come apart. I want to replace them with a tactical one. No problem, right? WRONG.

See, a "tactical lanyard" is also something for cops to secure their weapons to their bodies with. And that's clogging search results to the point of uselessness.

So, I need a lanyard of the fabric loop and clip type. It needs to be built of stronger fabric than a fucking ribbon, like a strap for slings or backpacks (the final failure was the ribbon tearing). It needs to be long enough to stay attached to me while using keys attached to it to unlock things. It needs to have a decent carabiner for the clip, a normal lanyard's spring clip will not do (I bend them).

Does anyone have suggestions? Bonus points if they come in a dull shade of green or brown.

Cain

You'd think someone like Gore-Tex would make something like that, but I'm not seeing any so far, just normal, promotional ones.

altered

Yeah, it's sort of absurd. One of the most obvious things to make a tactical version of, and they don't.

I checked all the usual suspects: Hazard 4, Rothco, UTG/Leapers, etc. No dice.

chaotic neutral observer

Desine fata deum flecti sperare precando.

Cain