News:

It's not laughter if you're just going through the muscle movements you remember from the times you actually gave a fuck.

Main Menu

The God Helmet

Started by Cramulus, December 30, 2019, 01:58:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cramulus

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/God_helmet

Researchers developed a helmet that stimulates parts of the brain using "complex" magnetic fields ("approximately as strong as those generated by a land line telephone handset or an ordinary hair dryer, but far weaker than that of an ordinary refrigerator magnet and approximately a million times weaker than transcranial magnetic stimulation").

This causes some people to feel a "presence".

Some people report mystical experiences. Others report dizziness. Nobody's really been able to replicate the study, but let's put that aside for the moment. Let's say it's true, and that have identified the part of the brain involved in mystical experiences, and figured out backdoor ways to stimulate it. What does this mean? What happens next?

MMIX

Quote from: MMIX on June 20, 2009, 08:40:27 PM
  so looking at the chi phenomenon from a slightly different angle . . . when I was first reading up about chakras - yeah wildly different countries/energies/whatever/whatever - and trying to do those exercise thingies I was sent for an MRI scan. So they give you a radioactive drink and then bombard you with magnetic doohickies. So I'm lying there and when the magnetic torus gadget gets to my root chackra Bang - off it goes. So I mentioned this to the radiographer in a conversational way and he was totally unsurprised YES it turns out that this is a common phenomenon during scans, and is thought to be a side effect of the radioactive isotope you drink . . .  well lets just say I'm not convinced. But I can't find any refs to it online - I suspect that there is a scientific explanation here which relates to the body's electrical/magnetic makeup - thoughts . .  and how does it relate to chi . . .
"The ultimate hidden truth of the world is that it is something we make and could just as easily make differently" David Graeber

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Cramulus on December 30, 2019, 01:58:52 PM
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/God_helmet

Researchers developed a helmet that stimulates parts of the brain using "complex" magnetic fields ("approximately as strong as those generated by a land line telephone handset or an ordinary hair dryer, but far weaker than that of an ordinary refrigerator magnet and approximately a million times weaker than transcranial magnetic stimulation").

This causes some people to feel a "presence".

Some people report mystical experiences. Others report dizziness. Nobody's really been able to replicate the study, but let's put that aside for the moment. Let's say it's true, and that have identified the part of the brain involved in mystical experiences, and figured out backdoor ways to stimulate it. What does this mean? What happens next?

I eliminate everyone who knows about it (sorry, Cram, nothing personal) and GET RICH LIKE ASTRONAUTS by BEING GOD.
Molon Lube

Cramulus

Oh yeah, if it's repeatable, then the way to monetize the "empirically verifiable religious experience" is like a new frontier of commerce. It will also allow all sorts of zany new religions to pop up - "the church of people who climbed a mountain and then jacked off while wearing the god helmet".

My first reaction to reading this was a sort of disappointment that this lends itself to a highly reductive explanation of religious experience.

but as an aside, I want to see two people wearing god helmets fight each other in a steel cage.

chaotic neutral observer

Some people report mystical experiences. Others report dizziness. Nobody's really been able to replicate the study, but let's put that aside for the moment.

I'd stop there.  It doesn't appear that this can be reproduced with a double-blind study; the effects are the same whether the device is powered up or not.

In other words, if you put on a lab-coat, place a sciencey-looking hat on someone's head, and tell them it will affect their brain, they'll believe you.
Desine fata deum flecti sperare precando.

Doktor Howl

Quote from: chaotic neutral observer on December 30, 2019, 03:21:27 PM
Some people report mystical experiences. Others report dizziness. Nobody's really been able to replicate the study, but let's put that aside for the moment.

I'd stop there.  It doesn't appear that this can be reproduced with a double-blind study; the effects are the same whether the device is powered up or not.

In other words, if you put on a lab-coat, place a sciencey-looking hat on someone's head, and tell them it will affect their brain, they'll believe you.

This is how Mad Science works.  You never saw Victor Frankenstein using this double-blind garbage.  No.  It was just "THROW THE SWITCH, IGOR!"  And then hilarity ensued.
Molon Lube

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Cramulus on December 30, 2019, 02:50:33 PM
Oh yeah, if it's repeatable, then the way to monetize the "empirically verifiable religious experience" is like a new frontier of commerce. It will also allow all sorts of zany new religions to pop up - "the church of people who climbed a mountain and then jacked off while wearing the god helmet".

I am thinking what you would get would be the last 10 minutes of the the last episode of season 1 of Preacher.
Molon Lube

Doktor Howl

On a serious note, though, the only replication of the experiment was done by a woo-meister (see source 13 on the wikipedia page).

I am disappoint.  I would have made a GREAT god.  :crankey:
Molon Lube

Cramulus

Quote from: Doktor Howl on December 30, 2019, 04:13:36 PM
I am thinking what you would get would be the last 10 minutes of the the last episode of season 1 of Preacher.

fill me in?

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Cramulus on December 30, 2019, 04:16:20 PM
Quote from: Doktor Howl on December 30, 2019, 04:13:36 PM

fill me in?

The story takes place in a town in Texas called Anneville, formerly known as Ratwater.

Everyone in the whole town is a scumbag.  Anyway, in the last ep, it becomes known that God has been missing for an unknown length of time, and that heaven is a mess (angels are even dumber than humans).

Then they do what you'd expect from a repressed, hateful society when the repression is removed.  Wholesale murder, and then the town is leveled in an explosion not prevented by the frustrated plant operator, on account of he had a heart attack banging a hooker.
Molon Lube

chaotic neutral observer

I did some googling on Michael Persinger, the originator of this God Helmet thingy.  Here are a couple choice quotations:

Quote from: Persinger "Brain electromagnetic activity and lightning: potentially congruent scale-invariant quantitative properties"
The space-time characteristics of the axonal action potential are remarkably similar to the scaled equivalents of lightning. The energy and current densities from these transients within their respective volumes or cross-sectional areas are the same order of magnitude. Length–velocity ratios and temporal durations are nearly identical. There are similar chemical consequences such as the production of nitric oxide. Careful, quantitative examination of the characteristics of lightning may reveal analogous features of the action potential that could lead to a more accurate understanding of these powerful correlates of neurocognitive processes.

Quote from: Persinger "The Electromagnetic Induction of Mystical and Altered States within the Laboratory"
Our primary assumption is that consciousness and its variants of mystical states can be expressed as quantum phenomena, as predicted by Niehls Bohr and others. If consciousness and thought are coupled to electron movements, then a macroscopic manifestation should be congruent with the magnetic field strengths associated with neurocognitive activities. Access to the information within the movements of an electron, its fundamental charge, and the photon emissions associated with changes in electron movements, would allow mystical states and the information with which they are associated to have alternative interpretations that recruit the fundamental properties of space-time and matter.

...it's just so...beautiful. :lulz:
Desine fata deum flecti sperare precando.

Doktor Howl

Quote from: chaotic neutral observer on December 30, 2019, 06:44:17 PM
I did some googling on Michael Persinger, the originator of this God Helmet thingy.  Here are a couple choice quotations:

Quote from: Persinger "Brain electromagnetic activity and lightning: potentially congruent scale-invariant quantitative properties"
The space-time characteristics of the axonal action potential are remarkably similar to the scaled equivalents of lightning. The energy and current densities from these transients within their respective volumes or cross-sectional areas are the same order of magnitude. Length–velocity ratios and temporal durations are nearly identical. There are similar chemical consequences such as the production of nitric oxide. Careful, quantitative examination of the characteristics of lightning may reveal analogous features of the action potential that could lead to a more accurate understanding of these powerful correlates of neurocognitive processes.

Quote from: Persinger "The Electromagnetic Induction of Mystical and Altered States within the Laboratory"
Our primary assumption is that consciousness and its variants of mystical states can be expressed as quantum phenomena, as predicted by Niehls Bohr and others. If consciousness and thought are coupled to electron movements, then a macroscopic manifestation should be congruent with the magnetic field strengths associated with neurocognitive activities. Access to the information within the movements of an electron, its fundamental charge, and the photon emissions associated with changes in electron movements, would allow mystical states and the information with which they are associated to have alternative interpretations that recruit the fundamental properties of space-time and matter.

...it's just so...beautiful. :lulz:

That's LMNO-level writing, only for "science".
Molon Lube

Faust

I would hope it has the same effect as the Total Perspective Vortex

https://hitchhikers.fandom.com/wiki/Total_Perspective_Vortex

Showing each wearer the full infinite magnificence of creation and their own inconsequential role in it causing lovecraft level horror and existential crises
Sleepless nights at the chateau

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Faust on December 30, 2019, 09:01:42 PM
I would hope it has the same effect as the Total Perspective Vortex

https://hitchhikers.fandom.com/wiki/Total_Perspective_Vortex

Showing each wearer the full infinite magnificence of creation and their own inconsequential role in it causing lovecraft level horror and existential crises

Fun fact:  If you give me three facts, I can extrapolate a complete description of the universe from those three facts.

It will be absolutely wrong, but this is the Trump era and I did it, so it's PERFECT.
Molon Lube

altered

I can do this too, but my version is just gross and awful and not even I like it.
"I am that worst of all type of criminal...I cannot bring myself to do what you tell me, because you told me."

There's over 100 of us in this meat-suit. You'd think it runs like a ship, but it's more like a hundred and ten angry ghosts having an old-school QuakeWorld tournament, three people desperately trying to make sure the gamers don't go hungry or soil themselves, and the Facilities manager weeping in the corner as the garbage piles high.