News:

By the power of lulz, I, while living, have conquered the internets.

Main Menu

Strange Loops

Started by altered, January 03, 2020, 06:20:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

altered

Has anyone else noticed it? I mean sure, we're meat beasts and our soft serve head goo is a bit fuzzy at the best of times, but I think you'd need to notice it by now.

It's kind of like a zombie, you know: you blow its head off at eighteen yards with a lit mining explosive on a stick, you expect it to stay down. And then it sits up and starts dancing the fucking Charleston on its own shattered remains.

That just isn't how cause and effect works, unless there is a great and sincere problem with our understanding of reality. And brother, have we ever got proof of a great and sincere problem with our understanding of reality.

When I quit my job, you expect that that is the end of the matter: it is quit and I am done, there's no more to do. And yet!

And yet.

Here we are, taking the same route to the same building to repeat the exact events, down to the timeline, of quitting before.

So I ask you: what, really, is going on?

Don't get it in your head, of course, that this is all just my personal life. The cup runneth over.

Iraq War 2 (or Gulf War 3, whatever floats your crusty piece of flotsam) is here. Russia is our enemy, again. Hell, even Korea and World War 2 are coming back around for a second try. It's deranged, decades stacking on top of each other like a Jenga tower with clipping errors.

PKD may have been a woomeister and more than a little burned out from all the fucking drugs, but he saw the future that is the present: "The Empire never ended".

There's no identification of a source, no suggestion for a solution here. This is not a problem to be solved, but a fact of our current ontological landscape. All I'm doing is pointing out that even if history repeats, this is a bit absurd. Hopefully, we can learn to navigate it.
"I am that worst of all type of criminal...I cannot bring myself to do what you tell me, because you told me."

There's over 100 of us in this meat-suit. You'd think it runs like a ship, but it's more like a hundred and ten angry ghosts having an old-school QuakeWorld tournament, three people desperately trying to make sure the gamers don't go hungry or soil themselves, and the Facilities manager weeping in the corner as the garbage piles high.

Doktor Howl

I stand by my hypothesis that we jumped off the main timeline in 2015, and found ourselves a proper crapsack world, because the regular kind of world just wasn't doing it for us.

This current mess is culturally the same as the mess in 1912, and it exists because everyone in the world wants it, while at the same time talking about those other motherfuckers OVER THERE are being so damn unreasonable, and let's just kick their ass.  END THE WORLD TO TRIGGER THE LIBS.

consequences are not visible when everyone has self-inflicted catastrophic stern damage.

And this applies at the personal level, not just the national one.  Think about this:  At what point is NOT watching a burning clown car get hit by a trainload of idiots fun?  You are quitting because people are stupid and organizations are just organized, stupid collections of people.

Well, I have bad news for you.
Molon Lube

altered

Actually, I'm quitting because Chicago is cheaper to live in. The stupidity of the company was a factor, but I was far from ready to leave on that alone.

(They have until July before the law of unintended consequences leads to implosion. I was going to suck it dry.)

But I can't find housing here. I can in Chicago, and I already have a replacement job lined up. No point in not quitting.
"I am that worst of all type of criminal...I cannot bring myself to do what you tell me, because you told me."

There's over 100 of us in this meat-suit. You'd think it runs like a ship, but it's more like a hundred and ten angry ghosts having an old-school QuakeWorld tournament, three people desperately trying to make sure the gamers don't go hungry or soil themselves, and the Facilities manager weeping in the corner as the garbage piles high.

Pergamos

Quote from: Doktor Howl on January 03, 2020, 06:31:17 PM
I stand by my hypothesis that we jumped off the main timeline in 2015, and found ourselves a proper crapsack world, because the regular kind of world just wasn't doing it for us.

This current mess is culturally the same as the mess in 1912, and it exists because everyone in the world wants it, while at the same time talking about those other motherfuckers OVER THERE are being so damn unreasonable, and let's just kick their ass.  END THE WORLD TO TRIGGER THE LIBS.

consequences are not visible when everyone has self-inflicted catastrophic stern damage.

And this applies at the personal level, not just the national one.  Think about this:  At what point is NOT watching a burning clown car get hit by a trainload of idiots fun?  You are quitting because people are stupid and organizations are just organized, stupid collections of people.

It's not fun when you are standing close enough to the tracks to get flaming bits of clown on you.

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Pergamos on January 08, 2020, 12:22:19 AM

It's not fun when you are standing close enough to the tracks to get flaming bits of clown on you.

Yes it fucking is.
Molon Lube

altered

Quote from: Doktor Howl on January 08, 2020, 12:57:02 AM

Yes it fucking is.

Bolded for emphasis. Literally it's most of the goddamn fun.

Also, if you're that close you get to raid the wreckage and escape before the fuzz show up.

altered

Actually it just clicked for me why Dok thought I was quitting because the company is run by morons.

When I said "exit strategy", I meant "a way to stay alive once the office catches fire and management starts launching themselves from the tenth floor".

The company burning down was PART of that strategy: I was going to go the extra mile and volunteer myself for every possible role to bulk up my resume. I knew not a single person would say a bad word about my work, quality OR quantity wise. It would have practically guaranteed a less bumpy landing than everyone else is going to get.

The company being run by morons was relevant to me building an exit strategy because if it weren't run by morons I wouldn't need to worry about "what to do after it becomes corporate roadkill".

My actual quitting was for reasons of basic animal survival. Not evading idiocy. The two things are barely connected aside from using the idiocy to not feel too bad about leaving my friends in the company to drown in stewed shit.

Doktor Howl

Quote from: altered on January 08, 2020, 02:02:25 AM
Quote from: Doktor Howl on January 08, 2020, 12:57:02 AM

Yes it fucking is.

Bolded for emphasis. Literally it's most of the goddamn fun.

Also, if you're that close you get to raid the wreckage and escape before the fuzz show up.

I haven't heard a person call the cops "the fuzz" in 40 years.

40 YEARS.
Molon Lube

altered