News:

In North Korea, this forum wouldn't be banned, it would be revered and taught in schools as a palatable and preferable version of Western history. And in many ways, that's all the truth the children of North Korea need

Main Menu

The Functionality of the Black Iron Prison

Started by Hagtard Celine Dion Mustard, January 07, 2020, 01:41:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

altered

Quote from: Doktor Howl on January 21, 2020, 02:30:26 AM
Quote from: chaotic neutral observer on January 21, 2020, 02:28:52 AM

An (apparently) major element of his world-view was questioned, which in turn cast doubt on his self-image as a "logical person who sticks to the rules of critical thinking".  It's not surprising that he became upset.

Sort of like the "I am the only conscious being in a world of sheep" trap.

This, yes. I'd only modify it to add that there seems to be a common mistake being made: the idea that being intelligent makes it impossible for you to be conned.

Presumably there's some "if you are sufficiently skeptical" or whatever qualifier there, but it's irrelevant. I've never met anyone who was immune to being misled. Especially not when they're TRYING to be immune to being misled.

All intelligence does is give you a couple tools to recognize badly played cons as they happen, and a billion tools for cognitive dissonance to engrave bad signal into your brain forever.
"I am that worst of all type of criminal...I cannot bring myself to do what you tell me, because you told me."

There's over 100 of us in this meat-suit. You'd think it runs like a ship, but it's more like a hundred and ten angry ghosts having an old-school QuakeWorld tournament, three people desperately trying to make sure the gamers don't go hungry or soil themselves, and the Facilities manager weeping in the corner as the garbage piles high.

LMNO

In retrospect, this thread was doomed from the very first line.

Quote from: Reverend Elvis Pope Pelvis on January 07, 2020, 01:41:30 PM
Imagine time as a solid object.

Those are certainly all words, but as a both a metaphor and a starting point, the amount of assumptions and presumptions needed are insurmountable.

Doktor Howl

Quote from: altered on January 21, 2020, 07:19:56 AM

This, yes. I'd only modify it to add that there seems to be a common mistake being made: the idea that being intelligent makes it impossible for you to be conned.

Also, "you may be smart, but you're not the only smart person in the room".
Molon Lube

tyrannosaurus vex

Quote from: LMNO on January 21, 2020, 01:34:30 PM

Those are certainly all words, but as a both a metaphor and a starting point, the amount of assumptions and presumptions needed are insurmountable.

Imagine a horse as an antelope. In this analogy, the "antelope's" antlers are evidence that horses are, in fact, antelope.
Evil and Unfeeling Arse-Flenser From The City of the Damned.

LMNO

Quote from: tyrannosaurus vex on January 21, 2020, 03:46:17 PM

Imagine a horse as an antelope. In this analogy, the "antelope's" antlers are evidence that horses are, in fact, antelope.
Thank you for coming to my Ted Talk.

minuspace

this must be why they call it the block model.

axod

so what I'm getting is that the function of the black iron prison is to convince you that only a miracle can set you free
just this

Doktor Howl

Quote from: axod on January 21, 2020, 11:49:18 PM
so what I'm getting is that the function of the black iron prison is to convince you that only a miracle can set you free

And that is ALSO a lie.
Molon Lube

Pergamos

Quote from: Reverend Elvis Pope Pelvis on January 18, 2020, 09:43:14 PM
I should have known this thread would devolve into an ignorant circle-jerk, completely devoid of any semblance of genuine conversation stemming from what at least a few of you recognized as a good-enough jumping-point for discussion.

And this has nothing to do with whether I was "right" or "wrong".

You're all just a bunch of stupid, self-absorbed ignorangt jackasses who don't deserve what you've been gifted with; the mantle of the closest thing to "official" Discordianism that exists (it doesn't).

I wish I had something more clever to say. As much as I disappoint myself, you lot (with a few exceptions) disappoint me ever more.

There are thinking men among you, but not many.

Moar cartoons plez

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Pergamos on January 22, 2020, 01:07:52 AM
I should have known this thread would devolve into an ignorant circle-jerk, completely devoid of any semblance of genuine conversation stemming from what at least a few of you recognized as a good-enough jumping-point for discussion.

You're all just a bunch of stupid, self-absorbed ignorangt jackasses who don't deserve what you've been gifted with; the mantle of the closest thing to "official" Discordianism that exists (it doesn't).

I wish I had something more clever to say. As much as I disappoint myself, you lot (with a few exceptions) disappoint me ever more.

Moar cartoons plez

:lol:

That was cold as fuck.

:lol:
Molon Lube

The Wizard Joseph

:tldr2:
You can't get out backward.  You have to go forward to go back.. better press on! - Willie Wonka, PBUH

Life can be seen as a game with no reset button, no extra lives, and if the power goes out there is no restarting.  If that's all you see life as you are not long for this world, and never will get it.

"Ayn Rand never swung a hammer in her life and had serious dominance issues" - The Fountainhead

"World domination is such an ugly phrase. I prefer to call it world optimisation."
- Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality :lulz:

"You program the controller to do the thing, only it doesn't do the thing.  It does something else entirely, or nothing at all.  It's like voting."
- Billy, Aug 21st, 2019

"It's not even chaos anymore. It's BANAL."
- Doktor Hamish Howl

Hagtard Celine Dion Mustard

It's such an awesome thing that this thread now has literally nothing to do with itself, for almost no reason.

You guys are so good at your jobs, I wonder if you even remember what your jobs are.

One person comes along and says, "This is bullshit because hurrdadurddhurr" and everything collapses. You give undue power to regulars. It's like points for showing up.

And I wonder why I got bored here.

Mission Accomplished! Das vidanya.
"I never thought of shaving my beard and freeing the slaves, but I thought of shaving the slaves and freeing my beard!"
~ Abrahaham Lincololn

rong

it's like this thread was part of some sort of explosion and there was a strand that the posts were supposed to follow, but no matter what, every time a post tried to be "in the box" it would just get derailed again. . .
"a real smart feller, he felt smart"

MMIX

Quote from: rong on January 22, 2020, 04:34:05 AM
it's like this thread was part of some sort of explosion and there was a strand that the posts were supposed to follow, but no matter what, every time a post tried to be "in the box" it would just get derailed again. . .

this is discordia - there are no rails
"The ultimate hidden truth of the world is that it is something we make and could just as easily make differently" David Graeber

The Wizard Joseph

Quote from: MMIX on January 22, 2020, 10:31:26 AM
Quote from: rong on January 22, 2020, 04:34:05 AM

this is discordia - there are no rails

That's just because Eris hoggs all of the cocaine.
You can't get out backward.  You have to go forward to go back.. better press on! - Willie Wonka, PBUH

Life can be seen as a game with no reset button, no extra lives, and if the power goes out there is no restarting.  If that's all you see life as you are not long for this world, and never will get it.

"Ayn Rand never swung a hammer in her life and had serious dominance issues" - The Fountainhead

"World domination is such an ugly phrase. I prefer to call it world optimisation."
- Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality :lulz:

"You program the controller to do the thing, only it doesn't do the thing.  It does something else entirely, or nothing at all.  It's like voting."
- Billy, Aug 21st, 2019

"It's not even chaos anymore. It's BANAL."
- Doktor Hamish Howl