Your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could....

Started by Cramulus, January 29, 2020, 07:29:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doktor Howl

Quote from: The Wizard Joseph on January 30, 2020, 09:40:33 PM
Quote from: Cain on January 30, 2020, 05:07:08 PM
On the other hand, it's a very good, shorthand way of indicating to scientists that perhaps they should think about the ethical consequences of their discoveries.

Like those idiots who are matching up a facial recognition app to people's social media accounts. At some point in the process, someone should have sat down and said "hey, so what if stalkers or people in witness protection got targeted by this".

Of course, it's very possible they did have that conversation, and decided "fuck it". And who knows, maybe somewhere really far down the line, this will have some positive consequences (though lets be honest, it's going to be linked up to an insect drone system for assassinating people, and it will only have a 2.5% fail rate)

Hm... Insect drone assassination. You're walking along minding your own, feel a little pinch, and by the time you even get your hand up to scratch or swat at it the VX or perhaps something more subtly fatal if you're really special is already kicking in, and the drone chemically triggered to disintegrate in a manner that obliterates any trace of origin, and the entire "adjustment" costing a tiny fraction of the traditional material and logistical costs of making a memorable example of someone, and so being easy and quick to clean up if shit goes south.

Goddamn I love Science.

I feel personally attacked.
Molon Lube

Cramulus

Cramulus

I'm imagining applications where you make a politician look insane, but while we're here---

also imagine a future where you can buy a cloud of gnats that continually microdoses you and the people around you.

a future with performance-enhancing wasps

a cop shines a flashlight into a dark car, where a man is being continually stung by hornets "It's medical, I have a license!!" he shouts

LMNO

Quote from: Cramulus on January 31, 2020, 01:19:29 PM
a cop shines a flashlight into a dark car, where a man is being continually stung by hornets "It's medical, I have a license!!" he shouts

I would like to donate to your Patreon.

Doktor Howl

Quote from: LMNO on January 31, 2020, 01:33:15 PM

I would like to donate to your Patreon.

I'd like to donate to his hornets.
Molon Lube

Doktor Howl

I'm imagining applications where you make a politician look insane, but while we're here---

Yeah, a few weeks ago, I was discussing the idea of delivering various toxins or drugs via drone in the Billy thread.

https://www.principiadiscordia.com/forum/index.php/topic,38262.msg1431633.html#msg1431633

Hadn't thought of the microdosing thing, but we usually don't think in terms of medical applications.   :lulz:
Molon Lube

Prelate Diogenes Shandor

Quote from: Cramulus on January 29, 2020, 07:29:07 PMalso substitute "here comes skynet"

I'd love to see a Terminator-style movie set in a third world country that's already ruled by a genocidal military dictator. And then when the machines come the only thing that changes is that the buildings are in better repair
Praise NHGH! For the tribulation of all sentient beings.

a plague on both your houses -Mercutio

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zrTGgpWmdZQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rVWd7nPjJH8

It is an unfortunate fact that every man who seeks to disseminate knowledge must contend not only against ignorance itself, but against false instruction as well. No sooner do we deem ourselves free from a particularly gross superstition, than we are confronted by some enemy to learning who would plunge us back into the darkness -H.P.Lovecraft

He who fights with monsters must take care lest he thereby become a monster -Nietzsche

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SHhrZgojY1Q

You are a fluke of the universe, and whether you can hear it of not the universe is laughing behind your back -Deteriorata

Don't use the email address in my profile, I lost the password years ago

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Prelate Diogenes Shandor on January 31, 2020, 02:05:55 PM
Quote from: Cramulus on January 29, 2020, 07:29:07 PMalso substitute "here comes skynet"

I'd love to see a Terminator-style movie set in a third world country that's already ruled by a genocidal military dictator. And then when the machines come the only thing that changes is that the buildings are in better repair

So Fresno.
Molon Lube

Prelate Diogenes Shandor

I'm imagining applications where you make a politician look insane,
There's very limited application for something like that; it would only be useful on the very small handful of politicians who aren't already insane. There's Barack Obama and possibly Al Gore, and that's all I can think of. And I think they're both retired anyway.

It is an unfortunate fact that every man who seeks to disseminate knowledge must contend not only against ignorance itself, but against false instruction as well. No sooner do we deem ourselves free from a particularly gross superstition, than we are confronted by some enemy to learning who would plunge us back into the darkness -H.P.Lovecraft

He who fights with monsters must take care lest he thereby become a monster -Nietzsche

You are a fluke of the universe, and whether you can hear it of not the universe is laughing behind your back -Deteriorata

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Prelate Diogenes Shandor on January 31, 2020, 02:11:43 PM
I'm imagining applications where you make a politician look insane,
There's very limited application for something like that; it would only be useful on the very small handful of politicians who aren't already insane. There's Barack Obama and possibly Al Gore, and that's all I can think of. And I'm pretty sure they're both retired.

:bacon: :bacon: :bacon:
Molon Lube

The Wizard Joseph

Quote from: Doktor Howl on January 31, 2020, 01:00:27 PM
Quote from: The Wizard Joseph on January 30, 2020, 09:40:33 PM
Quote from: Cain on January 30, 2020, 05:07:08 PM
On the other hand, it's a very good, shorthand way of indicating to scientists that perhaps they should think about the ethical consequences of their discoveries.

Like those idiots who are matching up a facial recognition app to people's social media accounts. At some point in the process, someone should have sat down and said "hey, so what if stalkers or people in witness protection got targeted by this".

Of course, it's very possible they did have that conversation, and decided "fuck it". And who knows, maybe somewhere really far down the line, this will have some positive consequences (though lets be honest, it's going to be linked up to an insect drone system for assassinating people, and it will only have a 2.5% fail rate)

Hm... Insect drone assassination. You're walking along minding your own, feel a little pinch, and by the time you even get your hand up to scratch or swat at it the VX or perhaps something more subtly fatal if you're really special is already kicking in, and the drone chemically triggered to disintegrate in a manner that obliterates any trace of origin, and the entire "adjustment" costing a tiny fraction of the traditional material and logistical costs of making a memorable example of someone, and so being easy and quick to clean up if shit goes south.

Goddamn I love Science.

I feel personally attacked.

Oh my bad. In what way?
You can't get out backward.  You have to go forward to go back.. better press on! - Willie Wonka, PBUH

Life can be seen as a game with no reset button, no extra lives, and if the power goes out there is no restarting.  If that's all you see life as you are not long for this world, and never will get it.

"Ayn Rand never swung a hammer in her life and had serious dominance issues" - The Fountainhead

"World domination is such an ugly phrase. I prefer to call it world optimisation."
- Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality :lulz:

"You program the controller to do the thing, only it doesn't do the thing.  It does something else entirely, or nothing at all.  It's like voting."
- Billy, Aug 21st, 2019

"It's not even chaos anymore. It's BANAL."
- Doktor Hamish Howl

The Wizard Joseph

You can't get out backward.  You have to go forward to go back.. better press on! - Willie Wonka, PBUH

Life can be seen as a game with no reset button, no extra lives, and if the power goes out there is no restarting.  If that's all you see life as you are not long for this world, and never will get it.

"Ayn Rand never swung a hammer in her life and had serious dominance issues" - The Fountainhead

"World domination is such an ugly phrase. I prefer to call it world optimisation."

"You program the controller to do the thing, only it doesn't do the thing.  It does something else entirely, or nothing at all.  It's like voting."
- Billy, Aug 21st, 2019

- Doktor Hamish Howl

The Wizard Joseph

So I have a head just FULL TO BURSTING with angry hornets today.

Improvement on the bullet bot
Instead of designing a motor somehow intended to pierce through just design a shell to be penetrative enough to punch in, maybe burrow a bit, and upon hitting a certain depth or something resistant like bone mass trigger a few hundred milligrams of absolutely top shelf high explosive wrapped in a bit of very high tensile strength, lightweight plastic or ceramic.

You might even design it to deploy barbs and arm, but wait to be jostled or perhaps exposed to light, making it quite inoperable unless disarmed. This is the popbot or more vulgarly a splatter bug.

The same principal could be deployed en mass for area denial like a flying mine that eats light to stay powered and occasionally move about a bit in an area. Make them big enough for an extremely meaningful concussive blast and have them detect for heat and or a human outline, fly up at great speed,  land, lock into the surface of who they land on, and become hypervolitile. You can't pull it(more likely them) off or it will blow. It's too small to disarm even if you got past the volitiliy somehow. It's on you now amd worst of all emitting a distinctive dissonant noise to instill panic and perhaps raise an alarm. Worst of all it will compromise an NBC suit, and even an EOD suit can't protect you from hundreds of concussive blasts. Use rfid to make someone a non target

I call them the locust.

- Billy, Aug 21st, 2019

- Doktor Hamish Howl

Prelate Diogenes Shandor

Doktor Howl

Quote from: The Wizard Joseph on January 31, 2020, 06:04:20 PM
So I have a head just FULL TO BURSTING with angry hornets today.

Improvement on the bullet bot
Instead of designing a motor somehow intended to pierce through just design a shell to be penetrative enough to punch in, maybe burrow a bit, and upon hitting a certain depth or something resistant like bone mass trigger a few hundred milligrams of absolutely top shelf high explosive wrapped in a bit of very high tensile strength, lightweight plastic or ceramic.

You might even design it to deploy barbs and arm, but wait to be jostled or perhaps exposed to light, making it quite inoperable unless disarmed. This is the popbot or more vulgarly a splatter bug.

The same principal could be deployed en mass for area denial like a flying mine that eats light to stay powered and occasionally move about a bit in an area. Make them big enough for an extremely meaningful concussive blast and have them detect for heat and or a human outline, fly up at great speed,  land, lock into the surface of who they land on, and become hypervolitile. You can't pull it(more likely them) off or it will blow. It's too small to disarm even if you got past the volitiliy somehow. It's on you now amd worst of all emitting a distinctive dissonant noise to instill panic and perhaps raise an alarm. Worst of all it will compromise an NBC suit, and even an EOD suit can't protect you from hundreds of concussive blasts. Use rfid to make someone a non target

I call them the locust.

Being in the biz, I can tell you that you are about 2 generations behind the curve.  Your idea isn't bad, it's just already been done.

All the new, cutting edge stuff is in semi-autonomous microdrone swarms, and the math and software that make that possible.  The dormant-to-supersonic idea aka "stoop" drones were just the first iteration of that idea. 
Molon Lube