Int. relations security nerd on oligopolies, asymmetric warfare, anti-vaxxers

Started by ñͤͣ̄ͦ̌̑͗͊͛͂͗ ̸̨̨̣̺̼̣̜͙͈͕̮̊̈́̈͂͛̽͊ͭ̓͆ͅé ̰̓̓́ͯ́́͞, February 04, 2020, 11:02:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ñͤͣ̄ͦ̌̑͗͊͛͂͗ ̸̨̨̣̺̼̣̜͙͈͕̮̊̈́̈͂͛̽͊ͭ̓͆ͅé ̰̓̓́ͯ́́͞

Posting this to comment on later. It's an hour long keynote for a little security conference that just happened. Alex Stamos seems quite good at making complex ideas very accessible, or perhaps I just strongly agree with his larger strategy of contextualizing issues as tradeoffs. I don't know, check it out:

https://youtu.be/sRYqzTQK5ic
P E R   A S P E R A   A D   A S T R A

Doktor Howl

Woot.  I've read some of this guy's stuff.  He is 80% noise but 20% amazing.
Molon Lube

ñͤͣ̄ͦ̌̑͗͊͛͂͗ ̸̨̨̣̺̼̣̜͙͈͕̮̊̈́̈͂͛̽͊ͭ̓͆ͅé ̰̓̓́ͯ́́͞

Quote from: Doktor Howl on February 04, 2020, 02:37:18 PM
Woot.  I've read some of this guy's stuff.  He is 80% noise but 20% amazing.

I haven't read much by him. Yeah, he brings up things without taking a stand in his keynote, like with encryption. Intentionally trying to provoke discussion, I think.

He does start to get at how we're in the midst of information warfare playing out between international oligarchic interests. But that increasingly requires global knowledge that most Americans do not possess. Sitting ducks.

This Russian business is just the tip of the iceberg:

QuoteKaiser said the Facebook data scandal was part of a much bigger global operation that worked with governments, intelligence agencies, commercial companies and political campaigns to manipulate and influence people, and that raised huge national security implications.

The unpublished documents contain material that suggests the firm was working for a political party in Ukraine in 2017 even while under investigation as part of Mueller's inquiry and emails that Kaiser says describe how the firm helped develop a "sophisticated infrastructure of shell companies that were designed to funnel dark money into politics".

P E R   A S P E R A   A D   A S T R A