News:

Yes we're horrible toxic people, because this is 2020's Mental Illness Olympics, and the winners get a free pass on giving life-threatening advice with the bonus of having zero accountability for their shit behaviour.

Main Menu

Creepiest robot

Started by Mesozoic Mister Nigel, April 07, 2008, 05:47:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Nast

It is a bit creepy. I think the thing is that it looks so child-like. They should also work on the enormous bulging eyes. But I suppose that that's to highlight its expressiveness...

This also brings up the Uncanny Valley, and how it applies to our views of what is creepy or not. The developers of this sort of thing should realize that people are very uncomfortable with realistic simulacra of human beings, and should go for an approach that make it appear less human. After all, expressiveness is not necessarily dependent on how realisticly "human" something looks. A simple cartoon character or anthropomorphism would suffice.

"If I owned Goodwill, no charity worker would feel safe.  I would sit in my office behind a massive pile of cocaine, racking my pistol's slide every time the cleaning lady came near.  Auditors, I'd just shoot."

Jasper

I think that was the most affable person that's spoken to me all day.  Creepy nothing.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

I am really interested in how almost everyone I know who's commented on the robot so far has brought up the uncanny valley... definitely something to it.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Payne

I dunno Nigel. it DID seem very happy to meet me.

But this Robot must be made HAWTER, for our automaton loving friends.

Thurnez Isa

Through me the way to the city of woe, Through me the way to everlasting pain, Through me the way among the lost.
Justice moved my maker on high.
Divine power made me, Wisdom supreme, and Primal love.
Before me nothing was but things eternal, and eternal I endure.
Abandon all hope, you who enter here.

Dante

hirley0

¥€
03/25

$26.  @10

Quote from: Mesozoic Mister Nigel on April 07, 2008, 10:13:18 AM
I am really interested in how :