News:

PD.com: Where we throw rocks at your sacred cows

Main Menu

Re: Coronavirus data and events as they come in

Started by The Wizard Joseph, February 29, 2020, 03:39:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Wizard Joseph

https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/dr-fauci-says-catch-coronavirus-002458080.html

According to the CDC website, people without symptoms no longer need to be tested for COVID-19—even if they have been in contact with others who have tested positive.

"If you have been in close contact (within 6 feet) of a person with a COVID-19 infection for at least 15 minutes but do not have symptoms, you do not necessarily need a test unless you are a vulnerable individual or your health care provider or State or local public health officials recommend you take one," reads the new update.

This news seemed to surprise Dr. Anthony Fauci, the nation's top infectious disease expert and a member of the coronavirus task force. "I was under general anesthesia in the operating room"—to remove a polyp on his vocal cord—"and was not part of any discussion or deliberation regarding the new testing recommendations," Fauci told CNN Chief Medical Correspondent Dr. Sanjay Gupta, who read Fauci's statement on air. "I am concerned about the interpretation of these recommendations and worried it will give people the incorrect assumption that asymptomatic spread is not of great concern. In fact it is."

So CDC is out of its gotdamn mind and put out new recommendations while Fauci was under for surgery.
You can't get out backward.  You have to go forward to go back.. better press on! - Willie Wonka, PBUH

Life can be seen as a game with no reset button, no extra lives, and if the power goes out there is no restarting.  If that's all you see life as you are not long for this world, and never will get it.

"Ayn Rand never swung a hammer in her life and had serious dominance issues" - The Fountainhead

"World domination is such an ugly phrase. I prefer to call it world optimisation."
- Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality :lulz:

"You program the controller to do the thing, only it doesn't do the thing.  It does something else entirely, or nothing at all.  It's like voting."
- Billy, Aug 21st, 2019

"It's not even chaos anymore. It's BANAL."
- Doktor Hamish Howl

Cramulus

yeah, Trump is jeopardizing the CDCs credibility...

this is the bad place

altered

"I am that worst of all type of criminal...I cannot bring myself to do what you tell me, because you told me."

There's over 100 of us in this meat-suit. You'd think it runs like a ship, but it's more like a hundred and ten angry ghosts having an old-school QuakeWorld tournament, three people desperately trying to make sure the gamers don't go hungry or soil themselves, and the Facilities manager weeping in the corner as the garbage piles high.

Cramulus

I try not to get my medical facts from medium.com but I thought this piece was interesting - details one hypothesis about how COVID-19 works

https://elemental.medium.com/a-supercomputer-analyzed-covid-19-and-an-interesting-new-theory-has-emerged-31cb8eba9d63

The Johnny

Quote from: Cramulus on September 04, 2020, 05:19:44 PM
I try not to get my medical facts from medium.com but I thought this piece was interesting - details one hypothesis about how COVID-19 works

https://elemental.medium.com/a-supercomputer-analyzed-covid-19-and-an-interesting-new-theory-has-emerged-31cb8eba9d63

Its a nice read, but i only got halfway cause reading about the specifics makes me nauseous.
<<My image in some places, is of a monster of some kind who wants to pull a string and manipulate people. Nothing could be further from the truth. People are manipulated; I just want them to be manipulated more effectively.>>

-B.F. Skinner

altered

This is good, solid work, and the links support the bulk of the text at a skim. Good find.
"I am that worst of all type of criminal...I cannot bring myself to do what you tell me, because you told me."

There's over 100 of us in this meat-suit. You'd think it runs like a ship, but it's more like a hundred and ten angry ghosts having an old-school QuakeWorld tournament, three people desperately trying to make sure the gamers don't go hungry or soil themselves, and the Facilities manager weeping in the corner as the garbage piles high.

Cain

The vitamin D mention is potentially a hugely important one. It's very readily available and, as the author notes, a significant amount of the population is already deficient in it. If that can help alleviate symptoms, in conjunction with more intensive treatments...

minuspace

It learned me that:
Quotea Covid-19 infection generally begins when the virus enters the body through ACE2 receptors in the nose.

This just when I thought I had the whole breathing thing figured out.

Fujikoma

This is all very alarming, still it strikes me that this whole thing has been allowed to progress to a stage where it seems like it may become a "new normal", we had a chance early on to contain our exposure but given how we proceeded, I don't see US citizens being welcome in other countries, especially given a few articles I read about Canadians reporting foreign license plates. Other than that, I don't know what to say, other than this all is very concerning and seems like something we'll definitely end up paying for for generations.

Doktor Howl

Molon Lube

Cain

The US is plague continent, while the UK remains plague island.

The Johnny

<<My image in some places, is of a monster of some kind who wants to pull a string and manipulate people. Nothing could be further from the truth. People are manipulated; I just want them to be manipulated more effectively.>>

-B.F. Skinner

Cain

The UK is in a second wave in all but name

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/54296475

QuoteThe rate at which the Covid-19 virus is spreading appears to be speeding up.

The R number, indicating how fast the coronavirus epidemic is growing, has risen from 1.1-1.4 to 1.2-1.5.

An Office for National Statistics (ONS) survey estimated there were 9,600 new cases a day in England in the week to 19 September - up from 6,000 the week before and three times that being picked up by general testing.

It comes as more restrictions come into effect in parts of England and Wales.

On Friday, the daily number of positive cases in the UK picked up by coronavirus testing rose to a new high of 6,874, government figures show.

A further 34 deaths were announced, although figures were not available for Scotland because of a power cut at the National Records of Scotland.

Infection rates are highest in the north west of England and in London.

As infection rates rise, new restrictions are being brought into effect in the following areas:

Cardiff and the county of Swansea will go into lockdown at 18:00 BST on Sunday - 24 hours after the Carmarthenshire town of Llanelli
    In Leeds, Stockport, Wigan and Blackpool different households will be banned from meeting in private homes or gardens from midnight on Friday
    London has been added to the government's Covid-19 watch-list, meaning all of its boroughs are now classed as "areas of concern" but will not yet have additional restrictions

LMNO

Can you remind me what restrictions the UK has?  Are bars/indoor restaurants open without ventilation or capacity limitations?  What's mask use like?

Cain

Mask use is encouraged but not widely enforced with the exception of public transport where it is mandatory (unless you're a DUP MP apparently).

Bars and pubs are open with capacity based restrictions, but these are not enforced and have been widely ignored. Most offices and schools are open, before last week gatherings over six people in size were still legal.