News:

For my part, I've replaced optimism and believing the best of people by default with a grin and the absolute 100% certainty that if they cannot find a pig to fuck, they will buy some bacon and play oinking noises on YouTube.

Main Menu

Re: Coronavirus data and events as they come in

Started by The Wizard Joseph, February 29, 2020, 03:39:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Faust

Quote from: The Wizard Joseph on April 06, 2020, 12:29:15 AM
so...
Aerosol
Contact
probably water
and now zoonotic

Aerosol is still not substantiated, in fact its contrary to what the WHO is saying. Also the virus is a fatty structure meaning it is killed by basic sanitisation like soap which means transmission through water means it cannot survive the sanitation process. And transmission to pets such as housecats has been shown but no reverse mechanism and is unlikely to be possible.
So it is still at the exact same level it was: contact with someone who is exposed and coughing or touching a surface they did and then your face.
Sleepless nights at the chateau

The Wizard Joseph

Quote from: Faust on April 06, 2020, 08:25:25 AM
so...
Aerosol
Contact
probably water
and now zoonotic

Aerosol is still not substantiated, in fact its contrary to what the WHO is saying. Also the virus is a fatty structure meaning it is killed by basic sanitisation like soap which means transmission through water means it cannot survive the sanitation process. And transmission to pets such as housecats has been shown but no reverse mechanism and is unlikely to be possible.
So it is still at the exact same level it was: contact with someone who is exposed and coughing or touching a surface they did and then your face.

yeah, water transmission is really only a problem if the infrastructure breaks down and folks can't necessarily get clean water or are fool enough to drink or bathe in untreated water. I withdraw the speculation for the time being until I see somthing scholarly.
You can't get out backward.  You have to go forward to go back.. better press on! - Willie Wonka, PBUH

Life can be seen as a game with no reset button, no extra lives, and if the power goes out there is no restarting.  If that's all you see life as you are not long for this world, and never will get it.

"Ayn Rand never swung a hammer in her life and had serious dominance issues" - The Fountainhead

"World domination is such an ugly phrase. I prefer to call it world optimisation."
- Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality :lulz:

"You program the controller to do the thing, only it doesn't do the thing.  It does something else entirely, or nothing at all.  It's like voting."
- Billy, Aug 21st, 2019

"It's not even chaos anymore. It's BANAL."
- Doktor Hamish Howl

Faust

Quote from: The Wizard Joseph on April 06, 2020, 12:11:06 PM
so...
Aerosol
Contact
probably water
and now zoonotic

yeah, water transmission is really only a problem if the infrastructure breaks down and folks can't necessarily get clean water or are fool enough to drink or bathe in untreated water. I withdraw the speculation for the time being until I see somthing scholarly.
Yeah so at the risk of setting you on a darker path, at work one of the things we control is water treatment. Wastewater goes through several stages: heating, filtration, sediment, and each stage adds different cleaning agents to it.
On the potable water side there is a similar process, there are no known viri that can survive that process.
The big ones to watch out for with drinking water are:
Someone putting too much of the cleaning chemicals in (happens more than people want to know)
Agricultural or other run off getting into the system after cleaning (lot of boil notices around slurry season)
Lead (its expensive to replace and only happens when its detected, no one is out there looking for corroded lead to replace)
and cryptosporidium, a parasite, not a virus that can survive the cleaning process and can make people quite sick. That last one is the one where the water plants need to be fully cleaned down and the lines flushed end to end.

The Wizard Joseph

Quote from: Faust on April 06, 2020, 12:19:11 PM
so...
Aerosol
Contact
probably water
and now zoonotic

Yeah so at the risk of setting you on a darker path, at work one of the things we control is water treatment. Wastewater goes through several stages: heating, filtration, sediment, and each stage adds different cleaning agents to it.
On the potable water side there is a similar process, there are no known viri that can survive that process.
Someone putting too much of the cleaning chemicals in (happens more than people want to know)
Agricultural or other run off getting into the system after cleaning (lot of boil notices around slurry season)
Lead (its expensive to replace and only happens when its detected, no one is out there looking for corroded lead to replace)
and cryptosporidium, a parasite, not a virus that can survive the cleaning process and can make people quite sick. That last one is the one where the water plants need to be fully cleaned down and the lines flushed end to end.

Yeah we had a cryptosporidium outbreak in my hometown back when I was a kid and a LOT of folks got sick. We're right on lake Michigan and have one of the best water treatment facilities, designed by my grandfather in part, in the country. It still was a ravager. Good clean water may be worth it's weight in gold if the shit REALLY gets bad... Not really letting myself think that far ahead, but I naturally do it anyway.
You can't get out backward.  You have to go forward to go back.. better press on! - Willie Wonka, PBUH

Life can be seen as a game with no reset button, no extra lives, and if the power goes out there is no restarting.  If that's all you see life as you are not long for this world, and never will get it.

"Ayn Rand never swung a hammer in her life and had serious dominance issues" - The Fountainhead

"World domination is such an ugly phrase. I prefer to call it world optimisation."

"You program the controller to do the thing, only it doesn't do the thing.  It does something else entirely, or nothing at all.  It's like voting."
- Billy, Aug 21st, 2019

- Doktor Hamish Howl

Faust

It wont get bad. Supply lines have faced zero disruption and if it is reassuring for the Utilities.
Power plant staff here have all been pulled: they have to wait for two weeks before they start their shift in a locked down building to ensure staff there dont get sick, I imagine it is the same for other utilities.
The plant staff are loving it, they are getting 24/7 overtime pay to sit around drinking coffee and doing bits of paperwork / watch tv

Doktor Howl

so...
Aerosol
Contact
probably water
and now zoonotic

I ran water for 8 years (potable, chiller, RO, sanitation), and you're correct.  But crypto can be killed with chlorine dioxide in closed systems, and chlorine in open air systems.

And the best solution for lead is to just scale up the pipes.  Add chlorates, mag, and soda ash until you have 4 mm scale on the pipe.

A clean pipe will kill you.  That horrible white stuff is your friend.
Molon Lube

The Wizard Joseph

They're not doing it just yet, but New York is getting ready for a much larger body count and prepping for temporary burial in parks.

https://nypost.com/2020/04/06/nyc-to-begin-temporarily-burying-coronavirus-victims-in-local-parks/?utm_campaign=SocialFlow&utm_medium=SocialFlow&utm_source=NYPFacebook&sr_share=facebook&fbclid=IwAR2Dnr0pqkuXtQeCuXW1-lCfGzvDwXO3p1fwPgcLPh1MrcyK9-1TIPsaDdw

I'm pretty sure that the virus is durable enough that the corpses will remain infectious for quite a while. It's very dangerous hazmat in the short term at least, moreso if preserved in a cool morgue-trailer. burial might be a better option, but IDK.

- Billy, Aug 21st, 2019

- Doktor Hamish Howl

Faust

Quote from: Doktor Howl on April 06, 2020, 04:54:47 PM
so...
Aerosol
Contact
probably water
and now zoonotic

I ran water for 8 years (potable, chiller, RO, sanitation), and you're correct.  But crypto can be killed with chlorine dioxide in closed systems, and chlorine in open air systems.

And the best solution for lead is to just scale up the pipes.  Add chlorates, mag, and soda ash until you have 4 mm scale on the pipe.

A clean pipe will kill you.  That horrible white stuff is your friend.
hehe that's awesome, I would have never though of that, calcium buildup just enough to mask any of the unhealthy stuff, and good for the bones

The Wizard Joseph

South Korea is still seeing small surges that could be signals of oncoming bigger surges. They're better at riding the bull than most by the numbers, yet it is still a bull bucking around.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/world/south-korea-s-return-normal-interrupted-uptick-coronavirus-cases-n1176021?fbclid=IwAR1DNE8bOz8gSVQuS6lEFakIY5eQVa3c7N66GGlUzhzPn0GBnUyqYACdLvo

- Billy, Aug 21st, 2019

- Doktor Hamish Howl

tyrannosaurus vex

I am dreading the peak of infections in NYC and across the country this week and next week because this country is full of Americans, who are dumb. They will see the peak and decide, despite the warnings from experts, that the danger has passed, and they will go back to business as usual and set off an explosion in contagion.
Evil and Unfeeling Arse-Flenser From The City of the Damned.

The Wizard Joseph

I hate to be a debbie downer, but the world, and the US and UK in particular, is a very long way from the peak of this.

- Billy, Aug 21st, 2019

- Doktor Hamish Howl

Doktor Howl

Quote from: tyrannosaurus vex on April 07, 2020, 01:57:02 AM
I am dreading the peak of infections in NYC and across the country this week and next week because this country is full of Americans, who are dumb. thet will see the peak and decide, despite the warnings from experts, that the danger has passed, and they will go back to business as 8dual and set off an explosion in contagion.

We've succeeded ourselves to death, I think.
Molon Lube

The Wizard Joseph

Quote from: Doktor Howl on April 07, 2020, 02:23:06 AM
Quote from: tyrannosaurus vex on April 07, 2020, 01:57:02 AM
I am dreading the peak of infections in NYC and across the country this week and next week because this country is full of Americans, who are dumb. thet will see the peak and decide, despite the warnings from experts, that the danger has passed, and they will go back to business as 8dual and set off an explosion in contagion.

We've succeeded ourselves to death, I think.

You know, the fall of Athens started witha plague and the death of Pericles IIRC. Came in on a shipment of grain from their far reaching trade ports. Too much success can be fatal indeed.

- Billy, Aug 21st, 2019

- Doktor Hamish Howl

The Wizard Joseph

Trump has touted the drug as a potential "game changer" on an almost-daily basis. When Fauci was asked about the drug at the White House briefing Sunday, Trump stepped in and said, "I've answered that question — maybe 15 times."

"You don't have to answer," he told Fauci.

"There's signs it works on this — very strong signs," Trump said. "I've seen things that I sort of like. What do I know? I'm not a doctor. I'm not a doctor, but I have common sense."

Fauci sounded a similar note of caution on the drug in an interview with CBS on Sunday, saying there'd been some reports of the drug's helping — and other reports of it's having zero effect.

Asked to comment on Fauci's statement, Navarro told CNN, "I'll let him speak for himself," but "I have two words for you — second opinion."

Navarro, an economist, was then asked for his qualifications to give medical opinions.

"Doctors disagree about things all the time. My qualifications in terms of looking at the science is that I'm a social scientist. I have a Ph.D. And I understand how to read statistical studies, whether it's in medicine, the law, economics or whatever," Navarro said.

Asked whether he wanted a doctor making trade deals, Navarro said, "touché," before accusing anchor John Berman of engaging in a "false narrative."

https://www.yahoo.com/news/top-trump-aid-says-faucis-173524534.html

Sooo... about Fauci being able to stick to the science.. Not so much, sadly.

- Billy, Aug 21st, 2019

- Doktor Hamish Howl

Cramulus

which part of that strikes you as Dr. Fauci not sticking to science?