News:

PD.com: Trimming your hair in accordance with the anarchoprimitivist lifestyle

Main Menu

Re: Coronavirus data and events as they come in

Started by The Wizard Joseph, February 29, 2020, 03:39:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Wizard Joseph

Quote from: Cramulus on April 07, 2020, 03:31:21 PM
which part of that strikes you as Dr. Fauci not sticking to science?

O Fauci does. He's a straight shooter, but having his message undermined and contradicted is effectively just as bad as him not being a scientist at all in the sense that he has to be believed for the truth to matter. I may have misspoken there a bit. I did not mean he wasn't a scientist, rather that he is not being allowed to function as one meaningfully.
You can't get out backward.  You have to go forward to go back.. better press on! - Willie Wonka, PBUH

Life can be seen as a game with no reset button, no extra lives, and if the power goes out there is no restarting.  If that's all you see life as you are not long for this world, and never will get it.

"Ayn Rand never swung a hammer in her life and had serious dominance issues" - The Fountainhead

"World domination is such an ugly phrase. I prefer to call it world optimisation."
- Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality :lulz:

"You program the controller to do the thing, only it doesn't do the thing.  It does something else entirely, or nothing at all.  It's like voting."
- Billy, Aug 21st, 2019

"It's not even chaos anymore. It's BANAL."
- Doktor Hamish Howl

The Wizard Joseph

New York Transit is nearly dead in the water and only transporting medical personnel and other essential folks.

"The MTA now has 20 times the confirmed coronavirus cases it had two weeks ago, with 5,600 employees in self-quarantine and 33 deaths"

https://www.yahoo.com/news/mta-now-20-times-confirmed-213743375.html
You can't get out backward.  You have to go forward to go back.. better press on! - Willie Wonka, PBUH

Life can be seen as a game with no reset button, no extra lives, and if the power goes out there is no restarting.  If that's all you see life as you are not long for this world, and never will get it.

"Ayn Rand never swung a hammer in her life and had serious dominance issues" - The Fountainhead

"World domination is such an ugly phrase. I prefer to call it world optimisation."

"You program the controller to do the thing, only it doesn't do the thing.  It does something else entirely, or nothing at all.  It's like voting."
- Billy, Aug 21st, 2019

- Doktor Hamish Howl

Suu

Quote from: The Wizard Joseph on April 07, 2020, 03:57:57 PM
New York Transit is nearly dead in the water and only transporting medical personnel and other essential folks.

"The MTA now has 20 times the confirmed coronavirus cases it had two weeks ago, with 5,600 employees in self-quarantine and 33 deaths"

Yeah, I'm getting nervous about my brother. He's essential personnel, since he's a butcher, and has to use the subway to commute. He does say on the bright side, the cars are so fucking spotless and empty it's like living in bizarroworld.
Sovereign Episkopos-Princess Kaousuu; Esq., Battle Nun, Bene Gesserit.
Our Lady of Perpetual Confusion; 1st Church of Discordia

"Add a dab of lavender to milk, leave town with an orange, and pretend you're laughing at it."

The Wizard Joseph

Quote from: Suu on April 07, 2020, 04:15:52 PM
Quote from: The Wizard Joseph on April 07, 2020, 03:57:57 PM

Yeah, I'm getting nervous about my brother. He's essential personnel, since he's a butcher, and has to use the subway to commute. He does say on the bright side, the cars are so fucking spotless and empty it's like living in bizarroworld.

I wish your brother the best. I've never been on a subway, but they always look cramped and filthy in the movies, unless creepy and empty is the vibe they're going for.

- Billy, Aug 21st, 2019

- Doktor Hamish Howl

The Wizard Joseph

Capt. Brett Crozier of the USS Theodore Roosevelt may have been worried that Rear Adm. Stuart Baker, his immediate boss and the commander of the carrier strike group, would not have allowed him to send the warning letter to Navy leaders, according to the top Navy official who fired him as told to a Washington Post columnist.

Baker reportedly confirmed to Acting Navy Secretary Thomas Modly that Crozier's instincts were correct: "He was right. I wouldn't."

Modly claimed that he eventually fired Crozier because he "didn't want to get into a decision where the president would feel that he had to intervene."

"The letter was sent over non-secure, unclassified email even though that ship possesses some of the most sophisticated communications and encryption equipment in the fleet," Modly said Thursday.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/fired-us-navy-captain-reportedly-012113158.html

I spent a fair bit of time dicking around with Google trying to get an actual transcription of the letter in text or PDF... nada. It just refused to do anything but top load referential articles and I don't have time to dig down several hundred thousand returns for a blind link or something. If anyone can find it I would very much like to read it.

- Billy, Aug 21st, 2019

- Doktor Hamish Howl

The Wizard Joseph

In one of these videos, Maradiaga is seen filming herself at what she says is a Walmart and issues a strange threat to the camera, KXAS, a local news station in Dallas-Fort Worth, reported.

"I'm here at Walmart about to infest every (expletive), because if I'm going down, all you (expletive) are going down," she said, per the station.

In another video seen by KXAS, the woman appears to be sitting in a car at a coronavirus drive-through testing site. A nurse can be heard telling the person driving the car to go home and wait for the test results.

Maradiaga also filmed herself later that day repeatedly coughing into the camera and saying, per KXAS: "If you want to get the coronavirus and (expletive) die, call me."

The Carrollton Texas Police Department noted on Twitter that they are unsure if Maradiaga has COVID-19, and "have no confirmation Maradiaga is actually a threat to public health." But they are taking the teen's actions on social media "very seriously."

https://www.yahoo.com/huffpost/police-woman-covid-19-positive-willfully-spreading-it-snapchat-lorraine-maradiaga-190640294.html

Shit like this... gonna happen more and more, methinks.

- Billy, Aug 21st, 2019

- Doktor Hamish Howl

LMNO

Quote from: The Wizard Joseph on April 07, 2020, 05:03:57 PM
Capt. Brett Crozier of the USS Theodore Roosevelt may have been worried that Rear Adm. Stuart Baker, his immediate boss and the commander of the carrier strike group, would not have allowed him to send the warning letter to Navy leaders, according to the top Navy official who fired him as told to a Washington Post columnist.

Baker reportedly confirmed to Acting Navy Secretary Thomas Modly that Crozier's instincts were correct: "He was right. I wouldn't."

Modly claimed that he eventually fired Crozier because he "didn't want to get into a decision where the president would feel that he had to intervene."

"The letter was sent over non-secure, unclassified email even though that ship possesses some of the most sophisticated communications and encryption equipment in the fleet," Modly said Thursday.

I spent a fair bit of time dicking around with Google trying to get an actual transcription of the letter in text or PDF... nada. It just refused to do anything but top load referential articles and I don't have time to dig down several hundred thousand returns for a blind link or something. If anyone can find it I would very much like to read it.

Best I could find.  It was leaked to the press, not the public.  https://www.sfchronicle.com/bayarea/article/Exclusive-Captain-of-aircraft-carrier-with-15167883.php?utm_source=Daily%20on%20Defense%20040220_04/02/2020&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=WEX_Daily%20on%20Defense&rid=76109

The Wizard Joseph

Quote from: LMNO on April 07, 2020, 05:25:19 PM
Quote from: The Wizard Joseph on April 07, 2020, 05:03:57 PM

Best I could find.  It was leaked to the press, not the public.  https://www.sfchronicle.com/bayarea/article/Exclusive-Captain-of-aircraft-carrier-with-15167883.php?utm_source=Daily%20on%20Defense%20040220_04/02/2020&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=WEX_Daily%20on%20Defense&rid=76109

Thanks! I found that too, but the paywall was a deal breaker. It's fucking obnoxious looking for specific info in this shitstorm.

- Billy, Aug 21st, 2019

- Doktor Hamish Howl

The Wizard Joseph

i was sent this by a very dear friend who is among the most intelligent folks I know. He has a PHD in music theory and is a full Professor. He sent it to me saying it seemed weird to him that it was scrubbed from Medium hours after posting and that I should see it, tacitly coming close as fuck to implying a coverup. It's DREK. It's pure bullshit sophistry and while it does, like all decent sophistry, use some factual statements It's prett much entirely horseshit medically and clearly more about political bias and conning folks into taking drugs that don't actually do shit for viral infections. I submit it as an example of it's kind only.

https://archive.is/ONUmi

It's not even GOOD sophistry... good sophistry is entirely truthful, but but warps perspective. This is just straight up bullshit.

- Billy, Aug 21st, 2019

- Doktor Hamish Howl

LMNO

QuoteHe has a PHD in music theory and is a full Professor.

I found the problem.

The Wizard Joseph

Quote from: LMNO on April 08, 2020, 01:18:50 PM
QuoteHe has a PHD in music theory and is a full Professor.

I found the problem.

Eh?  :?

- Billy, Aug 21st, 2019

- Doktor Hamish Howl

Cain

It probably got scrubbed precisely because it's bullshit. Even Youtube is finally starting to get its act together on coronavirus and 5G conspiracy theories.

And I think LMNO is implying that your friend isn't a medical doctor, and that is part of the problem. In addition to that, professors acting outside of their area of expertise can quickly overestimate their proficiency in understanding that area (see: Neil deGrasse Tyson on virtually every topic other than astrophysics).

The Wizard Joseph

Quote from: Cain on April 08, 2020, 01:48:51 PM
It probably got scrubbed precisely because it's bullshit. Even Youtube is finally starting to get its act together on coronavirus and 5G conspiracy theories.

And I think LMNO is implying that your friend isn't a medical doctor, and that is part of the problem. In addition to that, professors acting outside of their area of expertise can quickly overestimate their proficiency in understanding that area (see: Neil deGrasse Tyson on virtually every topic other than astrophysics).

I'm SURE it was scrubbed as BS and rightly so. I see what you mean on the expertise thing, moreover he has a LOT of ground in Christian programing in him. His character and integrity are excellent, but he's a bit dogmatic.

- Billy, Aug 21st, 2019

- Doktor Hamish Howl

LMNO

Cain

Also music theory. It's not even really a thing.