Main Menu

Re: Coronavirus data and events as they come in

Started by The Wizard Joseph, February 29, 2020, 03:39:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Wizard Joseph

Quote from: rong on May 18, 2020, 01:26:45 PM
it's every man for himself

it always has been

Hey admins can I get a thread split from this post forward and have it appended to my Unlimited garbage thread please? It's entirely beside the point.
You can't get out backward.  You have to go forward to go back.. better press on! - Willie Wonka, PBUH

Life can be seen as a game with no reset button, no extra lives, and if the power goes out there is no restarting.  If that's all you see life as you are not long for this world, and never will get it.

"Ayn Rand never swung a hammer in her life and had serious dominance issues" - The Fountainhead

"World domination is such an ugly phrase. I prefer to call it world optimisation."
- Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality :lulz:

"You program the controller to do the thing, only it doesn't do the thing.  It does something else entirely, or nothing at all.  It's like voting."
- Billy, Aug 21st, 2019

"It's not even chaos anymore. It's BANAL."
- Doktor Hamish Howl

altered

Whether this gets moved or not, a friend sent me a replacement for my old big fucking 3M half mask respirator today. I can only assume it had been laying around since nowhere is selling these things in less than 100pc lots.

I'm going to break open the filters after a couple days of intermittent use and see if I can replace them with washable fabric filters. Also replacing the outflow valve with a fabric piece to keep everyone else safe, though I'll be fine till I can source that fabric due to the design (directs exhalations downward).

About 70% of this thing bringing me happiness is being back on my rivethead industrial bullshit in public. I'm just missing my fucking stupid welding goggles and the spike-studded olive and black hoodie I had when I went to see God Module live. And now I have a dumb mall ninja larper sling bag, which I didn't have before, so I'm almost okay with just having the mask.

ETA: realizing this is almost better suited to OB the way I wrote it.

To be clear: The primary goal with this is to have an awesome mask that does a good job at protecting myself and others from COVID. I was fortunate to have a friend who had access to one of these fuckers since I lost my last one in Boston.

Half mask respirators as a general rule, it must be said, are really fucking bad at doing the job they need to for a pandemic. No eye protection, valved outflow (meaning unfiltered meaning you can be spreading), and filters that become dangerous to use after a certain time in active use, regardless of the safety of the environments they were used in.

I'm only using this because I have it now so why not, and because I learned the rules on how to take care of and use a respirator, and finally because I intend to modify it for safety. If you find one for sale, I don't recommend you buy it unless you want to read the microscopic print instructions, memorize the safety warnings, and take on a minor project involving disassembling things that aren't user serviceable and putting them back together.
"I am that worst of all type of criminal...I cannot bring myself to do what you tell me, because you told me."

There's over 100 of us in this meat-suit. You'd think it runs like a ship, but it's more like a hundred and ten angry ghosts having an old-school QuakeWorld tournament, three people desperately trying to make sure the gamers don't go hungry or soil themselves, and the Facilities manager weeping in the corner as the garbage piles high.

The Johnny

Quote from: altered on May 19, 2020, 06:09:08 AM
Whether this gets moved or not, a friend sent me a replacement for my old big fucking 3M half mask respirator today. I can only assume it had been laying around since nowhere is selling these things in less than 100pc lots.

I'm going to break open the filters after a couple days of intermittent use and see if I can replace them with washable fabric filters. Also replacing the outflow valve with a fabric piece to keep everyone else safe, though I'll be fine till I can source that fabric due to the design (directs exhalations downward).

About 70% of this thing bringing me happiness is being back on my rivethead industrial bullshit in public. I'm just missing my fucking stupid welding goggles and the spike-studded olive and black hoodie I had when I went to see God Module live. And now I have a dumb mall ninja larper sling bag, which I didn't have before, so I'm almost okay with just having the mask.

ETA: realizing this is almost better suited to OB the way I wrote it.

To be clear: The primary goal with this is to have an awesome mask that does a good job at protecting myself and others from COVID. I was fortunate to have a friend who had access to one of these fuckers since I lost my last one in Boston.

Half mask respirators as a general rule, it must be said, are really fucking bad at doing the job they need to for a pandemic. No eye protection, valved outflow (meaning unfiltered meaning you can be spreading), and filters that become dangerous to use after a certain time in active use, regardless of the safety of the environments they were used in.

I'm only using this because I have it now so why not, and because I learned the rules on how to take care of and use a respirator, and finally because I intend to modify it for safety. If you find one for sale, I don't recommend you buy it unless you want to read the microscopic print instructions, memorize the safety warnings, and take on a minor project involving disassembling things that aren't user serviceable and putting them back together.

I've heard coffee filters are good improvised material for disposable filters.
<<My image in some places, is of a monster of some kind who wants to pull a string and manipulate people. Nothing could be further from the truth. People are manipulated; I just want them to be manipulated more effectively.>>

-B.F. Skinner

altered

Disposable is the opposite of the goal here, and the tale I've been hearing is that you need at least two layers of T-shirt cloth and possibly more for an effective filter. (A friend making masks has been using full T shirt sleeves with a third layer stuck inside.)

Besides, coffee filters are bulky and fragile: they need to be packed carefully and take up a lot of space. Nine small cloth patches (3 sets of 2 inflow filters and one outflow filter) will fit in just about anything and are practically indestructible in ordinary travel and usage.
"I am that worst of all type of criminal...I cannot bring myself to do what you tell me, because you told me."

There's over 100 of us in this meat-suit. You'd think it runs like a ship, but it's more like a hundred and ten angry ghosts having an old-school QuakeWorld tournament, three people desperately trying to make sure the gamers don't go hungry or soil themselves, and the Facilities manager weeping in the corner as the garbage piles high.

The Johnny

Quote from: altered on May 19, 2020, 10:04:35 AM
Disposable is the opposite of the goal here, and the tale I've been hearing is that you need at least two layers of T-shirt cloth and possibly more for an effective filter. (A friend making masks has been using full T shirt sleeves with a third layer stuck inside.)

Besides, coffee filters are bulky and fragile: they need to be packed carefully and take up a lot of space. Nine small cloth patches (3 sets of 2 inflow filters and one outflow filter) will fit in just about anything and are practically indestructible in ordinary travel and usage.

There seem to exist reusable coffee filters, but I do not know how easy it is to find them. Idk, its the best I could think of.
<<My image in some places, is of a monster of some kind who wants to pull a string and manipulate people. Nothing could be further from the truth. People are manipulated; I just want them to be manipulated more effectively.>>

-B.F. Skinner

Faust

double layer of material with a spacer will do. Thin material + Thick Cotton + thin material is what we made  but if you could put a small air gap in by raising the outermost layer off the inner that would be effective enough.

That or go full Immortan Joe on it, and pass the air throw bellows and a water filtration unit
Sleepless nights at the chateau

rong

Filtrete brand Hepa Air filters can be disassembled and fashioned into filters.  To my understanding this is the best DIY option.  Be careful as some Hepa filters have fiber glass in them.  You don't want to breathe that shit.
"a real smart feller, he felt smart"

Doktor Howl

Half my crew went down yesterday and today.  They've been tested.  Waiting for the results.

It's worth mentioning that I have been working in very close proximity to these meat bags.
Molon Lube

Cramulus

yuck - good luck - hope they get a passing grade.

Q. G. Pennyworth

Quote from: rong on May 19, 2020, 12:22:51 PM
Filtrete brand Hepa Air filters can be disassembled and fashioned into filters.  To my understanding this is the best DIY option.  Be careful as some Hepa filters have fiber glass in them.  You don't want to breathe that shit.

DO NOT USE HEPA FILTERS. THAT SHIT IS FULL OF NONSENSE YOU DO NOT WANT.
https://www.filtrete.com/3M/en_US/filtrete/home-tips/full-story/~/coronavirus-and-important-things-to-know-about-airborne-particles/?storyid=d69e7735-c02c-46d2-9c8a-ae23372934ac BOTTOM OF THE PAGE

rong

Quote from: Q. G. Pennyworth on May 20, 2020, 01:23:31 AM

https://www.filtrete.com/3M/en_US/filtrete/home-tips/full-story/~/coronavirus-and-important-things-to-know-about-airborne-particles/?storyid=d69e7735-c02c-46d2-9c8a-ae23372934ac BOTTOM OF THE PAGE
I hear what your saying and thanks for pointing that out.  It is my personal opinion that they are simply putting a disclaimer there to protect themselves from any potential legal liability should someone make a mask with their product.  It is also my personal opinion that using a hepa air filter insert in a cloth face mask (as long as it does not contain fiberglass) is not harmful.  It is also my personal opinion that a hepa air filter, while not as good as N95, works better than any textile fabric.

The Wizard Joseph

Quote from: rong on May 20, 2020, 01:51:07 PM

I hear what your saying and thanks for pointing that out.  It is my personal opinion that they are simply putting a disclaimer there to protect themselves from any potential legal liability should someone make a mask with their product.  It is also my personal opinion that using a hepa air filter insert in a cloth face mask (as long as it does not contain fiberglass) is not harmful.  It is also my personal opinion that a hepa air filter, while not as good as N95, works better than any textile fabric.

It is a fact that every now and then someone gets fucked right up or dies from acting on personal opinion. Guess we shall see.
You can't get out backward.  You have to go forward to go back.. better press on! - Willie Wonka, PBUH

Life can be seen as a game with no reset button, no extra lives, and if the power goes out there is no restarting.  If that's all you see life as you are not long for this world, and never will get it.

"Ayn Rand never swung a hammer in her life and had serious dominance issues" - The Fountainhead

"World domination is such an ugly phrase. I prefer to call it world optimisation."
- Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality :lulz:

"You program the controller to do the thing, only it doesn't do the thing.  It does something else entirely, or nothing at all.  It's like voting."
- Billy, Aug 21st, 2019

"It's not even chaos anymore. It's BANAL."
- Doktor Hamish Howl

rong

Quote from: The Wizard Joseph on May 20, 2020, 02:33:36 PM
Quote from: rong on May 20, 2020, 01:51:07 PM

It is a fact that every now and then someone gets fucked right up or dies from acting on personal opinion. Guess we shall see.
this is true

Q. G. Pennyworth

Those filters have fiberglass, you absolute fuckwad.

Cramulus

IF FIBERGLASS CAN INSULATE AN ATTIC, IT SURE AS HELL CAN INSULATE A FACE

BTW I AM NOW SELLING ASBESTOS FACE MASKS AT A ...SOMEWHAT REASONABLE RATE