News:

Everyone who calls themselves "wolf-something" or "something-wolf" almost inevitably turns out to be an irredeemable shitneck.

Main Menu

Re: Coronavirus data and events as they come in

Started by The Wizard Joseph, February 29, 2020, 03:39:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doktor Howl

Molon Lube

Doktor Howl

https://apnews.com/8513ec966d26d1c850e7cab0b269997c

Quote"In a crisis, when you lack an operational solution, all you are left with is humanity," Dezenhall said. "This is just a situation where Trump cannot pivot because he views empathy as the equivalent of running down Pennsylvania Avenue in high heels and a tutu."
Molon Lube

altered

New York had a day of no COVID deaths. New York, in the olden tradition of our country, gets a pizza party — and everyone else has to watch.
"I am that worst of all type of criminal...I cannot bring myself to do what you tell me, because you told me."

There's over 100 of us in this meat-suit. You'd think it runs like a ship, but it's more like a hundred and ten angry ghosts having an old-school QuakeWorld tournament, three people desperately trying to make sure the gamers don't go hungry or soil themselves, and the Facilities manager weeping in the corner as the garbage piles high.

Cain

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/jul/12/immunity-to-covid-19-could-be-lost-in-months-uk-study-suggests

QuoteIn the first longitudinal study of its kind, scientists analysed the immune response of more than 90 patients and healthcare workers at Guy's and St Thomas' NHS foundation trust and found levels of antibodies that can destroy the virus peaked about three weeks after the onset of symptoms then swiftly declined.

Blood tests revealed that while 60% of people marshalled a "potent" antibody response at the height of their battle with the virus, only 17% retained the same potency three months later. Antibody levels fell as much as 23-fold over the period. In some cases, they became undetectable.

"People are producing a reasonable antibody response to the virus, but it's waning over a short period of time and depending on how high your peak is, that determines how long the antibodies are staying around," said Dr Katie Doores, lead author on the study at King's College London.

The study has implications for the development of a vaccine, and for the pursuit of "herd immunity" in the community over time.

I'd say so, yeah.

altered

That's pretty fucked up. That's... if COVID becomes seasonal, you'll have COVID vaccines for the season. Potentially, with a booster necessary for the end.

And COVID is not gonna be seasonal. Count on that.

There are only two options. Full elimination of COVID, to the degree of smallpox, or introducing The New Normal — forever.
"I am that worst of all type of criminal...I cannot bring myself to do what you tell me, because you told me."

There's over 100 of us in this meat-suit. You'd think it runs like a ship, but it's more like a hundred and ten angry ghosts having an old-school QuakeWorld tournament, three people desperately trying to make sure the gamers don't go hungry or soil themselves, and the Facilities manager weeping in the corner as the garbage piles high.

altered

Oh hey, so uh, it turns out that COVID wrecks your junk if you have a dong.

https://twitter.com/catbailey/status/1282528142985437184?s=21

And the tweet is so very true.

Faust

Wasnt trump seen wearing a mask yesterday?
Sleepless nights at the chateau

The Wizard Joseph

"Covid will kill millions and collapse necessary infrastructure if left unchecked."

THEM: *crickets*

"Covid will make your balls shrivel up, dry out, and drop off."

THEM:  :omg:
You can't get out backward.  You have to go forward to go back.. better press on! - Willie Wonka, PBUH

Life can be seen as a game with no reset button, no extra lives, and if the power goes out there is no restarting.  If that's all you see life as you are not long for this world, and never will get it.

"Ayn Rand never swung a hammer in her life and had serious dominance issues" - The Fountainhead

"World domination is such an ugly phrase. I prefer to call it world optimisation."
- Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality :lulz:

"You program the controller to do the thing, only it doesn't do the thing.  It does something else entirely, or nothing at all.  It's like voting."
- Billy, Aug 21st, 2019

"It's not even chaos anymore. It's BANAL."
- Doktor Hamish Howl

altered

:lulz:

To be honest with you, I read this and had a bare moment of "could this be the answer I seek?" But no, it is not, I would be more likely to die than to live.

Also, I had sort of just assumed all of this to be true anyway, because COVID being a blood disease means the three big complications are going to be neurological, respiratory, and (AMAB) genital. All three areas rely on blood in a massive way. We heard about the respiratory, then the neurological... in my heart I knew that rotten testicles and inflamed penises were on the way.

Doktor Howl

Quote from: altered on July 13, 2020, 04:41:17 PM
in my heart I knew that rotten testicles and inflamed penises were on the way.

Newsfeed.
Molon Lube

The Wizard Joseph

Quote from: Doktor Howl on July 13, 2020, 04:59:10 PM
Quote from: altered on July 13, 2020, 04:41:17 PM
in my heart I knew that rotten testicles and inflamed penises were on the way.

Newsfeed.

:lulz: :lulz: :lulz:

Dude I was literally just thinking that.
You can't get out backward.  You have to go forward to go back.. better press on! - Willie Wonka, PBUH

Life can be seen as a game with no reset button, no extra lives, and if the power goes out there is no restarting.  If that's all you see life as you are not long for this world, and never will get it.

"Ayn Rand never swung a hammer in her life and had serious dominance issues" - The Fountainhead

"World domination is such an ugly phrase. I prefer to call it world optimisation."

"You program the controller to do the thing, only it doesn't do the thing.  It does something else entirely, or nothing at all.  It's like voting."
- Billy, Aug 21st, 2019

- Doktor Hamish Howl

The Wizard Joseph

So it would seem there's a bit of contention between almost 300 independent scientists from multiple disciplines and the WHO on airborne transmission and viral aerosolization. At first WHO tried to just double down on their insistence on it only EVER happening in specific medical procedures. Now they are walking that back. I personally suspect it's not news to the WHO, but whatever I think the ball remains dropped.

Here's a good rundown of the situation by Dr. Campbell. I have been following his analysis pretty much since March. He's a straight shooter and sticks to the official numbers rigorously. This is by far the most agitated I've seen him.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=youtu.be&v=CjuaPuiqYnA

Also because I don't think it's been brought up ITT an article on how the virus do seems in order.

Researchers exploring the interaction between the coronavirus and its hosts have discovered that when the SARS-CoV-2 virus infects a human cell, it sets off a ghoulish transformation. Obeying instructions from the virus, the newly infected cell sprouts multi-pronged tentacles studded with viral particles.

These disfigured zombie cells appear to be using those streaming filaments, or filopodia, to reach still-healthy neighboring cells. The protuberances appear to bore into the cells' bodies and inject their viral venom directly into those cells' genetic command centers — thus creating another zombie.
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.latimes.com/science/story/2020-06-26/inside-the-body-the-coronavirus-is-even-more-sinister-than-scientists-had-realized%3f_amp=true
I have to say that even in my worst conceptions of how this could be getting the numbers it does from the beginning THIS was far beyond how I thought it, or any real virus, might work. Remember the neoplasma from the CDC documentation I posted up thread and how those are generally found in novel cancers? Here you go. We're now looking to anti cancer drugs for some kind of treatment.

Airborne fucking cancer virus.

ETA the number of scientists in dissent is 239. My mind transposed to 293 and I rounded up wrongly.

- Billy, Aug 21st, 2019

- Doktor Hamish Howl

The Johnny

Ah yes, speaking the language of a b-side movie, very serious and scientific article.
<<My image in some places, is of a monster of some kind who wants to pull a string and manipulate people. Nothing could be further from the truth. People are manipulated; I just want them to be manipulated more effectively.>>

-B.F. Skinner

The Wizard Joseph

Quote from: The Johnny on July 13, 2020, 11:08:40 PM

Ah yes, speaking the language of a b-side movie, very serious and scientific article.

Let me Google that for you. Take your pick.

- Billy, Aug 21st, 2019

- Doktor Hamish Howl

altered

Quote from: The Johnny on July 13, 2020, 11:08:40 PM

Cut out the "zombie" shit, and it's fairly scary and accurate. Filamentous cellular morphology could easily behave this way, and in fact is often used this way by filopodous amoebae. Well, lysosomes instead of virions, but still.

The cancer part is scare mongering, because the fucked up morphology is due to viral load, and an effective antiviral course would cause them to return to normal function. Temporarily larger than normal, with possible related symptoms in rare cases... but cancerous, not likely.

More likely to create a very different kind of abnormal cell that gets very large but never reproduces. These are common after many, many viral infections. Check the swelling/clumping, Syncitium, and Focal Degeneration (sounds like the COVID cytopathy is a weird mix of the three, and the cellular spread is most similar to focal degeneration) entries: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cytopathic_effect

And you'll note that non-degenerative/destructive cytopathy doesn't make a cell dangerous independent of the viral infection, or kill it. There are exceptions, but just for a good example: HPV is oncogenic and isn't known for its distortions of cellular morphology. No, it's retroviral in action: check E6/E7 proteins section under Virology for the mechanism, and note that the HPV directly interacts with cellular genome. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Human_papillomavirus_infection That and toxins are the only way for infections to potentiate cancer, and viruses don't do toxins, because they literally can't, that involves nonexistent cellular machinery.

Now that we've gotten cancer bullshit out of the way, the rest seems pretty solid, so I think you maybe were a bit harsh here Johnny.

EDIT: forgot to provide HPV link