News:

PD.com: children are filled with joy, adults are filled with dread and local government is filled with stupid

Main Menu

Re: Coronavirus data and events as they come in

Started by The Wizard Joseph, February 29, 2020, 03:39:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Juana

Not a pretty way to go.

Quote from: LMNO on July 28, 2020, 08:02:04 PM
Quote from: Fujikoma on July 28, 2020, 07:40:50 PM
The people who homeschool in the face of the pandemic will survive, the ones who don't may lose family members. It will suck and it will have resounding consequences. Homeschooling, it's not just for weird Libertarians anymore.

Then there will be families who simply can't, since our economy is based on using school as childcare (and healthcare, and food security) while the parents work.  Especially people on the low end of the "economic inequality" equation.

And because of historical racial inequality, that means more BIPOC will die, statistically.

So basically, Steve Miller has a constant hardon these days.
Yep, bc both parents and the kids will constantly be exposed and schools are petri dishes at the best of times. Then there's the issue of access for districts that DO do distance learning. Devices can be provided but internet connection will have to be cobbled together ad hoc. My district is rolling out its own internet. We're the fourth or fifth largest school district in the state with a larger surplus, so wrt have the resources to pull for an emergency like this but a ton of others won't.
"I dispose of obsolete meat machines.  Not because I hate them (I do) and not because they deserve it (they do), but because they are in the way and those older ones don't meet emissions codes.  They emit too much.  You don't like them and I don't like them, so spare me the hysteria."

Doktor Howl

Molon Lube

Juana

How Jared Kushner's Secret Testing Plan "Went Poof Into Thin Air"

"Six months into the pandemic, the United States continues to suffer the worst outbreak of COVID-19 in the developed world. Considerable blame belongs to a federal response that offloaded responsibility for the crucial task of testing to the states. The irony is that, after assembling the team that came up with an aggressive and ambitious national testing plan, Kushner then appears to have decided, for reasons that remain murky, to scrap its proposal.
Most troubling of all, perhaps, was a sentiment the expert said a member of Kushner's team expressed: that because the virus had hit blue states hardest, a national plan was unnecessary and would not make sense politically. "The political folks believed that because it was going to be relegated to Democratic states, that they could blame those governors, and that would be an effective political strategy," said the expert.

That logic may have swayed Kushner. "It was very clear that Jared was ultimately the decision maker as to what [plan] was going to come out," the expert said."

They left us to fucking die in the name of politics.

Also if anyone needs screenshots of the article, I gotchu.
"I dispose of obsolete meat machines.  Not because I hate them (I do) and not because they deserve it (they do), but because they are in the way and those older ones don't meet emissions codes.  They emit too much.  You don't like them and I don't like them, so spare me the hysteria."

Cain

You've got quote tags in your BB code, if you're wondering why that link isn't working as it should.

Juana

Quote from: Cain on August 01, 2020, 11:43:11 PM
You've got quote tags in your BB code, if you're wondering why that link isn't working as it should.
Thanks. I'm used to having to do that for html, lmao.

Cain

Quote from: Juana on August 02, 2020, 12:14:57 AM
Quote from: Cain on August 01, 2020, 11:43:11 PM
Thanks. I'm used to having to do that for html, lmao.

No worries.

And yes, it wouldn't surprise me if similar factors have driven the outcome in several countries. We know that governments have access to at least semi-advanced modelling tools, and beyond that the idea that a highly contagious disease would ravage cities more than the countryside is a fairly straightforward one. Yes, the disease is more lethal to the elderly, but the elderly in cities are not a significant voting block either, at least not significant enough to force a change in the outcome. So urban areas, which their liberal or left-wing leanings were considered by populist rightwing governments, both in the UK, USA and likely Brazil, to be "acceptable casualties" in the event of Covid-19 going pandemic.

Cramulus

the "jared let thousands die to make urban governors look bad" is one of those things that would have erupted into a volcano under any other president, but we're all so exhausted

on some level I'm furious, and on another level I'm like "yeah that checks out"

The Wizard Joseph

https://www.nola.com/news/healthcare_hospitals/article_589eeade-d299-11ea-a0aa-2f04c62b410c.html

Seems like the inflammatory syndrome seen in children can be seen in adults. Long term consequences like continued clotting make me wonder if we're really able to eradicate the whole viral load post presentation. I also wonder what effect all that reported neoplasm may be having in and of itself. There's still so much weird shit with unknown causes.
You can't get out backward.  You have to go forward to go back.. better press on! - Willie Wonka, PBUH

Life can be seen as a game with no reset button, no extra lives, and if the power goes out there is no restarting.  If that's all you see life as you are not long for this world, and never will get it.

"Ayn Rand never swung a hammer in her life and had serious dominance issues" - The Fountainhead

"World domination is such an ugly phrase. I prefer to call it world optimisation."
- Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality :lulz:

"You program the controller to do the thing, only it doesn't do the thing.  It does something else entirely, or nothing at all.  It's like voting."
- Billy, Aug 21st, 2019

"It's not even chaos anymore. It's BANAL."
- Doktor Hamish Howl

Doktor Howl

Quote from: minuspace on August 02, 2020, 01:43:08 AM
That moment when facial recognition stops working

That moment when LuciferX is posting random shit in an active thread, either because he's off his meds and thinks that this "contribution" somehow fits into the thread, or because he's a butthurt weenie who is deliberately trying to fuck with the thread because, you know, "butthurt weenie."
Molon Lube

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Cramulus on August 02, 2020, 02:08:58 PM
the "jared let thousands die to make urban governors look bad" is one of those things that would have erupted into a volcano under any other president, but we're all so exhausted

on some level I'm furious, and on another level I'm like "yeah that checks out"

There's not you can do without just getting in another pointless argument with the spin machine.

Well, not directly.
Molon Lube

The Wizard Joseph

Quote from: minuspace on August 03, 2020, 05:59:29 PM
Quote from: Doktor Howl on August 03, 2020, 03:36:05 PM
Quote from: minuspace on August 02, 2020, 01:43:08 AM
That moment when facial recognition stops working

That moment when LuciferX is posting random shit in an active thread, either because he's off his meds and thinks that this "contribution" somehow fits into the thread, or because he's a butthurt weenie who is deliberately trying to fuck with the thread because, you know, "butthurt weenie."

Yes. It was an underdeveloped "Franken weenie beans" attempt at error correction. You had me at "assume the position."

ETA damnit

Dude. I really want you to shut up with that shit on this particular thread. Don't reply with some nonsense to this post. I'm not being cute. This thread is about a topic that is killing folks and fundamentally altering society. Go shit in the bar or something if you MUST post some shit. Just please shut up here. Thanks.
You can't get out backward.  You have to go forward to go back.. better press on! - Willie Wonka, PBUH

Life can be seen as a game with no reset button, no extra lives, and if the power goes out there is no restarting.  If that's all you see life as you are not long for this world, and never will get it.

"Ayn Rand never swung a hammer in her life and had serious dominance issues" - The Fountainhead

"World domination is such an ugly phrase. I prefer to call it world optimisation."

"You program the controller to do the thing, only it doesn't do the thing.  It does something else entirely, or nothing at all.  It's like voting."
- Billy, Aug 21st, 2019

- Doktor Hamish Howl

Doktor Howl

Molon Lube

The Wizard Joseph

Quote from: Doktor Howl on August 18, 2020, 04:50:03 PM
Panic buying is again a thing.

https://apnews.com/2d762d7369b1d2da22518eb011e8b6b0

On a broader note I expect there to be an exodus of monied people from major cities over time to more remote communities and a land grab of sorts in the "flyover" states as such people begin to set up communities aimed at ensuring members are covid free and not being exposed. Essentially very large gated communities.

That's just a guess of course, but as things progress and the bodies stack higher they will get SUPER panicky in short order and start dropping money in the name of any percieved chance of salvation.

- Billy, Aug 21st, 2019

- Doktor Hamish Howl

The Wizard Joseph

https://www.yahoo.com/news/researchers-report-1st-confirmed-cases-135337804.html

The patient in question was a 33-year-old man who only had mild coronavirus symptoms the first time around, The New York Times reports. COVID-19 patients are usually considered recovered when they test negative for the virus multiple times. But after a trip to Spain, this recovered patient tested positive for the virus again despite showing no symptoms. Researchers tested the second virus to confirm it wasn't just "viral shedding" from the first infection, Dr. Kelvin Kai-Wang To, a clinical microbiologist at the University of Hong Kong, said in a statement. The testing revealed the second virus stemmed from a strain making its way around Europe in July and August, strongly suggesting it wasn't a lingering bit of the first virus the man picked up in Hong Kong.

Seems we have begun to see fairly solid cases of reinfection by different strains. I guess we shall see how that plays out, but "herd immunity" as an excuse to let the infection spread unchecked is kinda looking unlikely.

- Billy, Aug 21st, 2019

- Doktor Hamish Howl

Juana

Jesus fuck. This is exhausting.

Regarding the clotting, I sort of wonder if it just fucks up the cells that produce the platelets for a while (or permanently 😬) so it takes however long the turnover for that stuff takes to stop being fucky.