News:

PD.com: The most patriotic board in America - jointly run by an Australian, an Irishman, a filthy Dutchman, a Canadian and some guy from the West Indies.

Main Menu

Re: Coronavirus data and events as they come in

Started by The Wizard Joseph, February 29, 2020, 03:39:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

altered

They're all fucking antimaskers, by the by.

I'm in Chicago. What a fucking joke. No hope here, everything's so hideously expensive.
"I am that worst of all type of criminal...I cannot bring myself to do what you tell me, because you told me."

There's over 100 of us in this meat-suit. You'd think it runs like a ship, but it's more like a hundred and ten angry ghosts having an old-school QuakeWorld tournament, three people desperately trying to make sure the gamers don't go hungry or soil themselves, and the Facilities manager weeping in the corner as the garbage piles high.

altered

Ha, I fucking say that but it's like a third of Boston's cost of living. The real problem is I'm too poor to get a place to live so I'm too poor to get a fucking job, which means I will forever be fucking poor.

No one fucking hires disabled autistic tranny freaks who can only work remotely. No, go fucking die in a supermarket for the economy or die in an alley starving to fucking death in the cold. Eat my shit, universe, I hope you fucking choke on it.
"I am that worst of all type of criminal...I cannot bring myself to do what you tell me, because you told me."

There's over 100 of us in this meat-suit. You'd think it runs like a ship, but it's more like a hundred and ten angry ghosts having an old-school QuakeWorld tournament, three people desperately trying to make sure the gamers don't go hungry or soil themselves, and the Facilities manager weeping in the corner as the garbage piles high.

altered

Seriously, I have like 5 people who are willing to chip in for me to get a place to live and make rent but I get turned down for no credit, no job, being TOO FUCKING OLD???? and all sorts of shit, I get ONE FUCKING MINISCULE CHANCE and antimaskers herd up in the goddamn airbnb and wreck it for me. I understand what drives people to murder sprees now. No, don't fucking worry, I'm not dangerous. I'm fucking pathetic, I'd never hurt innocent people, and I presume innocence by default, it just fucking drives me up the wall, like I'm being fucking punished for doing the right thing. I could have fucking lied about what happened and I'd have a place to go. I'd be spreading COVID but by fucking god I'd have something until my hosts all fucking went to the ICU...

The Wizard Joseph

Just a side note on the straight up horse shit Trump's administration left behind for the Biden administration to find and what a clusterfuck US vaccine distribution logistics are right now. Also... It sounds like shit tons of it is straight up missing. There was no cooperation at all from the Trump side on transition much less meaningful transparency so Biden's admin could plan and coordinate. Also... Pretty deep military ties on operation warp speed with officials that sound like they were hand picked for Trump loyalty. Nice.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/worse-imagined-team-trump-left-100021175.html
You can't get out backward.  You have to go forward to go back.. better press on! - Willie Wonka, PBUH

Life can be seen as a game with no reset button, no extra lives, and if the power goes out there is no restarting.  If that's all you see life as you are not long for this world, and never will get it.

"Ayn Rand never swung a hammer in her life and had serious dominance issues" - The Fountainhead

"World domination is such an ugly phrase. I prefer to call it world optimisation."
- Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality :lulz:

"You program the controller to do the thing, only it doesn't do the thing.  It does something else entirely, or nothing at all.  It's like voting."
- Billy, Aug 21st, 2019

"It's not even chaos anymore. It's BANAL."
- Doktor Hamish Howl

The Wizard Joseph

Dr. Campbell has another update. There's apparently undisclosed data pointing to the Brit strain being more severe in effect in addition to at least 50% more transmissible but the REAL gem is the last 15 min or so where he very calmly and stoically snapps the fuck off on holistic bullshit.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=GoGZvQERblI
You can't get out backward.  You have to go forward to go back.. better press on! - Willie Wonka, PBUH

Life can be seen as a game with no reset button, no extra lives, and if the power goes out there is no restarting.  If that's all you see life as you are not long for this world, and never will get it.

"Ayn Rand never swung a hammer in her life and had serious dominance issues" - The Fountainhead

"World domination is such an ugly phrase. I prefer to call it world optimisation."

"You program the controller to do the thing, only it doesn't do the thing.  It does something else entirely, or nothing at all.  It's like voting."
- Billy, Aug 21st, 2019

- Doktor Hamish Howl

Cain

Yeah, the information that this was also more dangerous than the original strain seems to have been suppressed by the government here, at least initially.

Faust

It was in the media, 70% more virulent, which coincided with Christmas which was due to obvious political needs, a period that was a known increased period.
No one expected how fast that strain would propagate:
Ireland went from the best country in Europe for infection Rate, to the worst in the world (per capita new cases per day). Thankfully the lockdown is bringing the R value back, but it looks like its going to be in place until at least march before its under the hundreds per day.
Sleepless nights at the chateau

The Wizard Joseph

So... Fauci is apparently a bit concerned about the vaccine resistance of the new kids, South Africa in particular. It's gonna be a long, dangerous ride before we're out of the woods. Also we may at this point never really be completely out of the woods.

https://www.businessinsider.com/vaccine-data-a-wake-up-call-on-new-covid-variant-2021-1

- Billy, Aug 21st, 2019

- Doktor Hamish Howl

LMNO

The Wizard Joseph

Quote from: LMNO on February 01, 2021, 02:08:21 PM

Maybe not. Seems that some Aussie guy had what they're calling a unicorn response. Seems hos immune system responded extremely strongly without tipping into cytokine storm. If we can figure out how and why we may have a real weapon in the pipe one day.

https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2021/jan/30/immunological-unicorn-the-australian-lab-growing-coronavirus-and-its-startling-discovery?CMP=fb_gu&utm_medium=Social&utm_source=Facebook#Echobox=1612020800

- Billy, Aug 21st, 2019

- Doktor Hamish Howl

The Wizard Joseph

Just a note for reference later. We are at 4 major strains of concern appx 1 year after major pandemic seemed likley. In all honesty we are well into endemic status and problems with vaccine rollout and strain vaccine resistance will probably persist indefinitely, in poorer countries especially but far from exclusively. This article on the California strain's virulence and severity is just a sampler of the actual situation.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/californias-coronavirus-strain-looks-increasingly-130055544.html

- Billy, Aug 21st, 2019

- Doktor Hamish Howl

altered

There's good news today, but after I got the good news I went scrolling through the job boards and noticed something strange.

There are SO MANY job listings. An unreal amount of them. It's ridiculous. And I went and looked at them, and I noticed something very very strange.

Here's an example. An "entry level" CSR position for a no name tech firm in Illinois. Starting pay: 24/hr. Remember: entry level customer service representative. That's a premium. And this company has good reviews on Indeed, so it's serious.

Requirements. 2 years CS experience, okay, that's normal. SIX FUCKING YEARS of experience in the petroleum and wireless industries. That certainly fucking isn't.

The kicker is the number of positions open: 1.

This isn't an outlier. Most new jobs being posted are for single individual hires in "entry level" positions with incredibly weird and specific requirements, like an engineering degree for IT Helpdesk at a trucking company.

I have a suspicion the job market is currently being driven by COVID deaths, and they're trying to replace extremely specific people with cross-discipline skill sets rather than hire new blood. This is good news for me and bad news for everyone else.

chaotic neutral observer

Got my first shot of Pfizer on Wednesday, and found the following nice plot while looking for some "real" data on how long it would take to become effective.

Looks like it does nothing for the first week or so, and then abruptly starts working after 11-12 days.  I would have thought there would be a wider transition region?  But I guess it's hard to eyeball that sort of thing.

Original article link
Desine fata deum flecti sperare precando.

minuspace

Moderna results look similar to the Pfizer, vaccine seems to take effect in a little under 2 weeks. Overall efficacy of vaccine levels off at about 80% after the first shot, and like 95% two weeks after the second.

FDA briefing document (sponsored by Moderna and not independently corroborated by FDA):
https://www.fda.gov/media/144434/download

The Wizard Joseph

The "Delta" variant has 1200+ TIMES the viral load of the original strain and vastly increased transmission as such, even in the asymptomatic. It has demonstrated a distinct ability to cause "break through" infections in the fully vaccinated. I have not yet looked up the specific R0, but it's gotta be well over the 5-9 range estimated for original sars cov2.

As a personal note I recieved the J&J one shot vaccine appx 6 weeks ago. The side effects were mild but persistent for about 2 weeks. It is hopefully enough to prevent dangerous symptoms. Delta ain't nothing to fuck with, but New Orleans is rolling like nothing is going on, the outbreak epicenter is currently Florida at appx 1/5 of all US cases. Louisiana catches a huge amount of tourists from Florida, and the Floridians are every bit deserving of their asshole reputation. Prognosis.. Not good.

- Billy, Aug 21st, 2019

- Doktor Hamish Howl