News:

It is better to set off a nuclear bomb, than to sit and curse the dark.

Main Menu

Pence hospitalized with COVID-related breathing issues. No word from Trump.

Started by Doktor Howl, March 10, 2020, 04:37:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doktor Howl

Molon Lube

altered

Quote from: Doktor Howl on March 10, 2020, 04:37:37 AM

It's really deadly among old people, I think the last numbers I saw were 13% over 50 years of age.

Is it too much to hope that, one by one, the GOP gets depopulated by novel half assed pneumonia 2019? Maybe. Is it a shitty move to hope for that? Undoubtedly so.

But I don't care.
"I am that worst of all type of criminal...I cannot bring myself to do what you tell me, because you told me."

There's over 100 of us in this meat-suit. You'd think it runs like a ship, but it's more like a hundred and ten angry ghosts having an old-school QuakeWorld tournament, three people desperately trying to make sure the gamers don't go hungry or soil themselves, and the Facilities manager weeping in the corner as the garbage piles high.

The Wizard Joseph

Quote from: Doktor Howl on March 10, 2020, 04:37:37 AM

Alright you GDSOB you got me! You fucking got me and I should have known better. I clicked. Here's a record of it. Have your damn lulz and this trophy post!
AAARGH!
:jiggle:
You can't get out backward.  You have to go forward to go back.. better press on! - Willie Wonka, PBUH

Life can be seen as a game with no reset button, no extra lives, and if the power goes out there is no restarting.  If that's all you see life as you are not long for this world, and never will get it.

"Ayn Rand never swung a hammer in her life and had serious dominance issues" - The Fountainhead

"World domination is such an ugly phrase. I prefer to call it world optimisation."
- Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality :lulz:

"You program the controller to do the thing, only it doesn't do the thing.  It does something else entirely, or nothing at all.  It's like voting."
- Billy, Aug 21st, 2019

"It's not even chaos anymore. It's BANAL."
- Doktor Hamish Howl

Faust

I would have fallen for this if it had said Rigor mortis or tomb rot
Sleepless nights at the chateau

altered

If this was a joke, I didn't get it. Mostly because I have not bothered checking the news in over 24 hours on account of Immediate Proximal Problems, and also that I'm unaware of what the joke is.

Either way, I still hope the GOP's dick-handed response to Shitty Pneumonia is their undoing.
"I am that worst of all type of criminal...I cannot bring myself to do what you tell me, because you told me."

There's over 100 of us in this meat-suit. You'd think it runs like a ship, but it's more like a hundred and ten angry ghosts having an old-school QuakeWorld tournament, three people desperately trying to make sure the gamers don't go hungry or soil themselves, and the Facilities manager weeping in the corner as the garbage piles high.

altered

Cain

Quote from: altered on March 10, 2020, 05:05:48 AM
It's really deadly among old people, I think the last numbers I saw were 13% over 50 years of age.

Is it too much to hope that, one by one, the GOP gets depopulated by novel half assed pneumonia 2019? Maybe. Is it a shitty move to hope for that? Undoubtedly so.

But I don't care.

I'm hoping it kills enough enough Boomers to cause the housing market to drop in price and kill all the remaining living donors of the Tory party.

Cain,
hope big or go home.

altered

Quote from: Cain on March 10, 2020, 12:59:20 PM
Quote from: altered on March 10, 2020, 05:05:48 AM

But I don't care.

I'm hoping it kills enough enough Boomers to cause the housing market to drop in price and kill all the remaining living donors of the Tory party.

Cain,
hope big or go home.

Fingers crossed, buddy. I'll buy you a fucking good whiskey if all comes to pass, and we can celebrate by stomping on whatever Welshmen remain, as is tradition.

chaotic neutral observer

I'm hoping it kills enough enough Boomers to cause the housing market to drop in price
Well, interest rates are being cut, so mortgages are likely getting cheaper in the medium-term.  That's something, anyway.
Desine fata deum flecti sperare precando.

altered

Quote from: chaotic neutral observer on March 10, 2020, 01:11:47 PM
I'm hoping it kills enough enough Boomers to cause the housing market to drop in price
Well, interest rates are being cut, so mortgages are likely getting cheaper in the medium-term.  That's something, anyway.

I'm really interested in the economics of this. Poor people, it turns out, stand to gain a lot from an unexpected, BADLY mismanaged pandemic.

That's a what-the-fuck if you ever did hear one.

The attempts to stimulate the economy seem to be focused on supply-side recession, because what's What We Are Used To. "People need to sell more product." But we are about to have a demand recession from old rich people dying off, a lot of changes in company benefit structures, and a lack of interest in travel. These are going to have knock-on effects that I'm not even sure of the actual extent of. The problem will not be "need to sell more of it" but "no market for it". No one will purchase it.

So most likely these attempts are going to fail, and take a lot of extremely rich people down. Which leaves this great big monetary vacuum, with low level employees having more free time and more spending power. The stock market is more accessible to regular people than ever before and good advice (ETFs, etc) is everywhere.

I feel like we might see a sudden increase in class mobility, given about ten to twenty years for the economic recovery.

Cain

Brexit was already having something of an effect like that in the UK. A lack of elasticity in the labour market is driving wages up...albeit slowly.

Suu

Quote from: altered on March 10, 2020, 01:24:43 PM

I'm really interested in the economics of this. Poor people, it turns out, stand to gain a lot from an unexpected, BADLY mismanaged pandemic.

Not here in the US, they don't, other than old school mass graves because they can't afford to be tested, hospitalized, or treated.
Sovereign Episkopos-Princess Kaousuu; Esq., Battle Nun, Bene Gesserit.
Our Lady of Perpetual Confusion; 1st Church of Discordia

"Add a dab of lavender to milk, leave town with an orange, and pretend you're laughing at it."

altered

Quote from: Suu on March 12, 2020, 04:00:53 AM
Quote from: altered on March 10, 2020, 01:24:43 PM

Not here in the US, they don't, other than old school mass graves because they can't afford to be tested, hospitalized, or treated.

Even here! Yeah, it's just they also stand to die in droves, simultaneously.

That said, I think I need to explain this.

Part of me being intensely interested in the economics of this is putting it out of my brain so I don't lose my mind. I'm in the highest risk group of my age bracket that isn't immunocompromised. I wouldn't be surprised to survive, but I also wouldn't be surprised to die. And I'm watching my support network disintegrate in real-time, while I'm being forced into the streets again, /while/ disaster peaks. Throwing myself into puzzles and dumb bullshit keeps me from doing /really/ unhealthy shit like suicidal ideation.

I understand that I was coming across as flippant before, and that's precisely what I was doing. It's a defense mechanism that comes out when faced with multiple levels of horror that I cannot influence and which all individually stand to end my life. This isn't the first time I've done it, and if I make it out the other side I doubt it will be the last. I'm not trying to trivialize the emotional impact of this on anyone else, I'm trying to reduce it on me. Because I have so many other things I HAVE to worry about that I cannot allow myself to worry about this or I will quite literally die, regardless of what happens.

Sorry.

ETA:

To head off any worries about my current brain situation, or anger about potentially ugly manipulative behavior on my part: I'm not in the middle of a mental health crisis right now. This is more explaining "this shitty behavior is a side-effect of /avoiding/ a mental health crisis that I should have recognized might be upsetting to people". The apology is genuine, and I'll do better.

Juana

The mismanagement and such is what's going to drive up our mortality rates tbh. Especially amongst the poor. Those of us who make it through - which I still expect to be most of us - might be better off in the long run. Might be.
"I dispose of obsolete meat machines.  Not because I hate them (I do) and not because they deserve it (they do), but because they are in the way and those older ones don't meet emissions codes.  They emit too much.  You don't like them and I don't like them, so spare me the hysteria."

Doktor Howl

Quote from: altered on March 10, 2020, 12:33:52 PM
If this was a joke, I didn't get it. Mostly because I have not bothered checking the news in over 24 hours on account of Immediate Proximal Problems, and also that I'm unaware of what the joke is.

Either way, I still hope the GOP's dick-handed response to Shitty Pneumonia is their undoing.

It's an ancient joke from the FC days.  2002-2005.
Molon Lube