News:

Testimonial: "This board is everything that's fucking wrong with the internet"

Main Menu

Look at the stock market

Started by Doktor Howl, March 11, 2020, 05:13:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LMNO

Quote from: Cain on March 11, 2020, 10:45:30 PM
Somewhat disappointed in that choice of video. I would have gone with this.

:golfclap:

Faust

Bitcoin is below the cost of mining, might be the end of that.
Sleepless nights at the chateau

chaotic neutral observer

The S&P 500 dropped 7% as the market opened for the day, and the NYSE automatically suspended trading for 15 minutes.

If it drops 20%, trading is suspended for the rest of the day.
Desine fata deum flecti sperare precando.

Suu

Quote from: chaotic neutral observer on March 12, 2020, 01:45:09 PM
The S&P 500 dropped 7% as the market opened for the day, and the NYSE automatically suspended trading for 15 minutes.

If it drops 20%, trading is suspended for the rest of the day.

We are about to witness a fully armed and operational true Black Friday, only instead of people dying over TVs, they're going to be throwing themselves out of buildings again.
Sovereign Episkopos-Princess Kaousuu; Esq., Battle Nun, Bene Gesserit.
Our Lady of Perpetual Confusion; 1st Church of Discordia

"Add a dab of lavender to milk, leave town with an orange, and pretend you're laughing at it."

chaotic neutral observer

It's embarrassing to see financial news sites trying to approach this using technical analysis.

Technical analysis has limited application at the best of times, but this is like trying to use small-signal approximations to model a lightning strike.  All you can count on is the ear-shattering boom.

Doktor Howl

https://apnews.com/f4dec5de0bcb4d32a1e28ada66e2fc6f

Wow, it's a long way down.  You could make a cup of tea while you fell.
Molon Lube

tyrannosaurus vex

the stock market is my favorite organized human behavior. in the best of times, we kinda-sorta understand what's happening (if we don't look too closely), but in the worse times it's plainly evident to everyone involved exactly what is happening, and yet we are powerless to control ourselves to stop it. like right now: everyone is scared of this pandemic and is scrambling for safety, which means selling anything that moves to anyone who will take it, and this is going to create a major problem for everyone, and we know that, but the instinct to be spooked outweighs all our globally combined foresight.
Evil and Unfeeling Arse-Flenser From The City of the Damned.

Cramulus

is this a good time to buy stocks, or should we wait for people to start jumping out Wall St windows?

chaotic neutral observer

Quote from: Cramulus on March 12, 2020, 05:51:28 PM
is this a good time to buy stocks, or should we wait for people to start jumping out Wall St windows?

If you give me a few weeks, I can tell you whether or not now would have been the best time to buy.

Now is a better time to buy than the immediate past was, but I expect the market has a way further to drop.  The point when the rate of new c19 cases begins to decrease (a bit before the number of current cases hits a maximum) might mark the turning point; but so could dozens of other factors.

altered

The advice I've been giving people is "wait one week, then see if it's still falling." There's no way it isn't going to drop anymore at all, and if it builds back up over the course of a week you still have a pretty decent discount, because the crisis is ongoing.

Chances are it will still be in free fall, I think. In which case you might want to just start buying a bit every day until the plunge stops and reverses, then hold for the market recovery.
"I am that worst of all type of criminal...I cannot bring myself to do what you tell me, because you told me."

There's over 100 of us in this meat-suit. You'd think it runs like a ship, but it's more like a hundred and ten angry ghosts having an old-school QuakeWorld tournament, three people desperately trying to make sure the gamers don't go hungry or soil themselves, and the Facilities manager weeping in the corner as the garbage piles high.

Prelate Diogenes Shandor

How is Monsanto doing? Are they down? Please tell me they're down. What about Halliburton? Phillip Morris? Nestle? They can all go to Hell.
Praise NHGH! For the tribulation of all sentient beings.

a plague on both your houses -Mercutio

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zrTGgpWmdZQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rVWd7nPjJH8

It is an unfortunate fact that every man who seeks to disseminate knowledge must contend not only against ignorance itself, but against false instruction as well. No sooner do we deem ourselves free from a particularly gross superstition, than we are confronted by some enemy to learning who would plunge us back into the darkness -H.P.Lovecraft

He who fights with monsters must take care lest he thereby become a monster -Nietzsche

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SHhrZgojY1Q

You are a fluke of the universe, and whether you can hear it of not the universe is laughing behind your back -Deteriorata

Don't use the email address in my profile, I lost the password years ago

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Prelate Diogenes Shandor on March 13, 2020, 12:39:33 AM
How is Monsanto doing? Are they down? Please tell me they're down. What about Halliburton? Phillip Morris? Nestle? They can all go to Hell.

:tyra:
Molon Lube

Prelate Diogenes Shandor

Well excuse me for looking for a silver lining

Fine lets go out and celebrate these companies' continued existence by partaking of Nestle's hot chocolate made with third world slabe labor and Phillip Morris' dangerous drugs that don't even get you high. Because apparently that's what you all are into now.
Praise NHGH! For the tribulation of all sentient beings.

a plague on both your houses -Mercutio

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zrTGgpWmdZQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rVWd7nPjJH8

It is an unfortunate fact that every man who seeks to disseminate knowledge must contend not only against ignorance itself, but against false instruction as well. No sooner do we deem ourselves free from a particularly gross superstition, than we are confronted by some enemy to learning who would plunge us back into the darkness -H.P.Lovecraft

He who fights with monsters must take care lest he thereby become a monster -Nietzsche

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SHhrZgojY1Q

You are a fluke of the universe, and whether you can hear it of not the universe is laughing behind your back -Deteriorata

Don't use the email address in my profile, I lost the password years ago

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Prelate Diogenes Shandor on March 13, 2020, 03:41:01 PM
Well excuse me for looking for a silver lining

Fine lets go out and celebrate these companies' continued existence by partaking of Nestle's hot chocolate made with third world slabe labor and Phillip Morris' dangerous drugs that don't even get you high. Because apparently that's what you all are into now.

:tyra:
Molon Lube

altered

I'm going to smoke a whole fucking pack of American Spirits while gorging myself on Crunch bars JUST TO SPITE YOU PERSONALLY, PDS.

I hope your sewage line backs up overnight and you don't notice for hours that your house is full of poo. A fitting fate, given that's what you just did to all of us.
"I am that worst of all type of criminal...I cannot bring myself to do what you tell me, because you told me."

There's over 100 of us in this meat-suit. You'd think it runs like a ship, but it's more like a hundred and ten angry ghosts having an old-school QuakeWorld tournament, three people desperately trying to make sure the gamers don't go hungry or soil themselves, and the Facilities manager weeping in the corner as the garbage piles high.