News:

PD.COM:  Mindlessly hitting the refresh button for weeks on end.

Main Menu

Look at the stock market

Started by Doktor Howl, March 11, 2020, 05:13:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doktor Howl

IN THE EVENT OF A WATER LANDING, WELL, IT WAS NICE KNOWING YOU

https://apnews.com/bd3276744b861e2669fd761733e9d2b4

Dow drops 3000 this afternoon.
Molon Lube

Faust

That was before or after the massive stimulus and negative interest rate announcement?

After... Oh god...
Sleepless nights at the chateau

chaotic neutral observer

Mr. Market, that whimsical and sometimes erratic personification of the average investor, is currently running down the street with his pants over his head, screaming lurid haiku through the leg-holes.
Desine fata deum flecti sperare precando.

PopeTom

Quote from: Doktor Howl on March 16, 2020, 08:22:51 PM
IN THE EVENT OF A WATER LANDING, WELL, IT WAS NICE KNOWING YOU

https://apnews.com/bd3276744b861e2669fd761733e9d2b4

Dow drops 3000 this afternoon.

Second largest percentage drop of the DJIA ever.

Quote from: President Donald J. Trump
Great Depression, huh?  Hold my overcooked ketchup covered steak.
-PopeTom

I am the result of 13.75 ± 0.13 billion years of random chance. Now that I exist I see no reason to start planning and organizing everything in my life.

Random dumb luck got me here, random dumb luck will get me to where I'm going.

Hail Eris!

The Wizard Joseph

...Well this is my stop.
Said we would get here.
Tried to warn some folks.
Guess I'll go fuck myself.
:enough:
You can't get out backward.  You have to go forward to go back.. better press on! - Willie Wonka, PBUH

Life can be seen as a game with no reset button, no extra lives, and if the power goes out there is no restarting.  If that's all you see life as you are not long for this world, and never will get it.

"Ayn Rand never swung a hammer in her life and had serious dominance issues" - The Fountainhead

"World domination is such an ugly phrase. I prefer to call it world optimisation."
- Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality :lulz:

"You program the controller to do the thing, only it doesn't do the thing.  It does something else entirely, or nothing at all.  It's like voting."
- Billy, Aug 21st, 2019

"It's not even chaos anymore. It's BANAL."
- Doktor Hamish Howl

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Faust on March 16, 2020, 08:26:52 PM
That was before or after the massive stimulus and negative interest rate announcement?

After... Oh god...

This is of course only partially caused by the plague and the Russian/Saudi oil war.  Call it 20% combined.
Molon Lube

tyrannosaurus vex

Everything's fine, the financial news is saying the markets are "bouncing back" (after historic losses, but shh). Everything is fine, crisis averted.
Evil and Unfeeling Arse-Flenser From The City of the Damned.

PopeTom

Quote from: tyrannosaurus vex on March 17, 2020, 03:00:29 PM
Everything's fine, the financial news is saying the markets are "bouncing back" (after historic losses, but shh). Everything is fine, crisis averted.

Just in case there are people who have not heard the phrase, "dead cat bounce."

Quote from: Wikipedia
In finance, a dead cat bounce is a small, brief recovery in the price of a declining stock.[1] Derived from the idea that "even a dead cat will bounce if it falls from a great height",[2] the phrase, which originated on Wall Street, is also popularly applied to any case where a subject experiences a brief resurgence during or following a severe decline.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dead_cat_bounce
-PopeTom

I am the result of 13.75 ± 0.13 billion years of random chance. Now that I exist I see no reason to start planning and organizing everything in my life.

Random dumb luck got me here, random dumb luck will get me to where I'm going.

Hail Eris!

Doktor Howl

Quote from: PopeTom on March 17, 2020, 04:44:36 PM
Quote from: tyrannosaurus vex on March 17, 2020, 03:00:29 PM

Just in case there are people who have not heard the phrase, "dead cat bounce."

Quote from: Wikipedia
In finance, a dead cat bounce is a small, brief recovery in the price of a declining stock.[1] Derived from the idea that "even a dead cat will bounce if it falls from a great height",[2] the phrase, which originated on Wall Street, is also popularly applied to any case where a subject experiences a brief resurgence during or following a severe decline.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dead_cat_bounce

Already covered that.
Molon Lube

chaotic neutral observer

Quote from: chaotic neutral observer on March 11, 2020, 07:44:57 PM
I'm holding some bond ETFs, but their holdings are mostly government bonds, and if those default, I figure I'm screwed anyway.

Note that a sudden decrease in the liquidity of the bond market has made holding bond ETFs--even supposedly safe ones--a rather questionable idea.   :sad:

They're not down as much as the overall market, but ... yeowch.

altered

Yeah I think I pulled all of my stuff out of the market JUST at the right time (mid January). Funny how treating ETFs as a savings account works to my benefit, even once I lose my job and have a few months without work.

And when this job hits, I'll do the same thing I did before: throw a fixed amount and anything left over into ETFs each month, and pull stuff out for emergencies and big purchases.

Sure, for awhile my "savings" will be a wasteland of magically disappearing money, but I'll stand to gain quite nicely in ten years, assuming this job and the training from it keeps me doing okay for that long.
"I am that worst of all type of criminal...I cannot bring myself to do what you tell me, because you told me."

There's over 100 of us in this meat-suit. You'd think it runs like a ship, but it's more like a hundred and ten angry ghosts having an old-school QuakeWorld tournament, three people desperately trying to make sure the gamers don't go hungry or soil themselves, and the Facilities manager weeping in the corner as the garbage piles high.

chaotic neutral observer

Starting at the beginning of last week, I began the process of buying back in, about the same dollar value each day, always in the last hour before the market closes, regardless of the price.  (Sort of a high-frequency dollar cost averaging).

I plan on continuing this until I run low on capital, or I lose my nerve.

The Wizard Joseph

Quote from: chaotic neutral observer on March 25, 2020, 10:56:15 PM
Starting at the beginning of last week, I began the process of buying back in, about the same dollar value each day, always in the last hour before the market closes, regardless of the price.  (Sort of a high-frequency dollar cost averaging).

I plan on continuing this until I run low on capital, or I lose my nerve.

Moloch is pleased by your act of faith in The Line. Just don't forget where and who it came directly from

His name is Moloch.
He usually eats the young
In exchange for "prosperity"
In a future you may never see.
But these are tough times
And apparently he is now
Accepting the elderly,
Additionally.
You can't get out backward.  You have to go forward to go back.. better press on! - Willie Wonka, PBUH

Life can be seen as a game with no reset button, no extra lives, and if the power goes out there is no restarting.  If that's all you see life as you are not long for this world, and never will get it.

"Ayn Rand never swung a hammer in her life and had serious dominance issues" - The Fountainhead

"World domination is such an ugly phrase. I prefer to call it world optimisation."
- Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality :lulz:

"You program the controller to do the thing, only it doesn't do the thing.  It does something else entirely, or nothing at all.  It's like voting."
- Billy, Aug 21st, 2019

"It's not even chaos anymore. It's BANAL."
- Doktor Hamish Howl