News:

You know what I always say? "Always kill the mouthy one", that's what I always say.

Main Menu

You might have heard of Annie Jump Cannon

Started by Doktor Howl, April 06, 2020, 10:50:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doktor Howl

Molon Lube

The Wizard Joseph

"While we cannot maintain that in everything woman is man's equal, yet in many things her patience, perseverance, and method make her his superior. Therefore, let us hope that in astronomy, which now affords a large field for woman's work and skill, she may, as has been the case for several other sciences, at least prove herself his equal."

This shit is going on a meme at some point. If anything it's a gross understatement of Woman's potential in most things, to my experience.
You can't get out backward.  You have to go forward to go back.. better press on! - Willie Wonka, PBUH

Life can be seen as a game with no reset button, no extra lives, and if the power goes out there is no restarting.  If that's all you see life as you are not long for this world, and never will get it.

"Ayn Rand never swung a hammer in her life and had serious dominance issues" - The Fountainhead

"World domination is such an ugly phrase. I prefer to call it world optimisation."
- Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality :lulz:

"You program the controller to do the thing, only it doesn't do the thing.  It does something else entirely, or nothing at all.  It's like voting."
- Billy, Aug 21st, 2019

"It's not even chaos anymore. It's BANAL."
- Doktor Hamish Howl

Cramulus

Doktor Howl

Molon Lube

Doktor Howl

Quote from: The Wizard Joseph on April 06, 2020, 11:03:34 PM

"While we cannot maintain that in everything woman is man's equal, yet in many things her patience, perseverance, and method make her his superior. Therefore, let us hope that in astronomy, which now affords a large field for woman's work and skill, she may, as has been the case for several other sciences, at least prove herself his equal."

This shit is going on a meme at some point. If anything it's a gross understatement of Woman's potential in most things, to my experience.

It was said more than a century ago.  Dude was way ahead of his time, and put his money where his mouth was.  Just the fact that he didn't fire her for being pregnant was way out of the ordinary.
Molon Lube

The Wizard Joseph

Quote from: Doktor Howl on April 07, 2020, 02:57:25 AM
Quote from: The Wizard Joseph on April 06, 2020, 11:03:34 PM

It was said more than a century ago.  Dude was way ahead of his time, and put his money where his mouth was.  Just the fact that he didn't fire her for being pregnant was way out of the ordinary.

I'm gonna re read it and google some names here. find a pic or two. That's straight up revolutionary for the period then. like get you hung for being mouthy revolutionary.
You can't get out backward.  You have to go forward to go back.. better press on! - Willie Wonka, PBUH

Life can be seen as a game with no reset button, no extra lives, and if the power goes out there is no restarting.  If that's all you see life as you are not long for this world, and never will get it.

"Ayn Rand never swung a hammer in her life and had serious dominance issues" - The Fountainhead

"World domination is such an ugly phrase. I prefer to call it world optimisation."
- Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality :lulz:

"You program the controller to do the thing, only it doesn't do the thing.  It does something else entirely, or nothing at all.  It's like voting."
- Billy, Aug 21st, 2019

"It's not even chaos anymore. It's BANAL."
- Doktor Hamish Howl