News:

Testamonial:  "My god, you people are depressing."

Main Menu

The Guiding Principle in Geopolitics is the "Dark Forest Theory"

Started by Black Death, April 24, 2020, 11:53:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Black Death

The guiding principle in geopolitics is the "Dark Forest Theory". So prevalent is this theory on earth that it acts as a primal directive for almost all human societal units, and a version of this theory is encoded in the reptilian brain of all vertebrates.

Perhaps the most important detail of this theory's scope is that it only needs to be true of one species to become true for all species.

QuoteThe Fermi paradox asks us where all the aliens are if the cosmos should be filled with them. The Dark Forest theory says we should pray we never find them.

The Dark Forest solution explains why we haven't heard from aliens by positing that they are purposefully keeping quiet.

The reasoning is laid out best in the science fiction novel The Dark Forest, by Liu Cixin. The plot of the book, the second in a series, concerns questions of how to best interact with potentially hostile alien life.

In the novel, the argument is laid out like this:

-All life desires to stay alive.
    -There is no way to know if other lifeforms can or will destroy you if given a chance.
    -Lacking assurances, the safest option for any species is to annihilate other life forms before they have a chance to do the same.

Faust

Here's a disclosure from our Illuminati meetings, when we solved the fermi paradox

At the edge of our galaxy there is a massive beacon transmitting "Caution, dangerous chimpanzees, area quarantined"
Sleepless nights at the chateau

Cain

QuoteThe guiding principle in geopolitics is the "Dark Forest Theory"

Not even close.

The Wizard Joseph

Quote from: Faust on April 24, 2020, 12:13:51 PM
Here's a disclosure from our Illuminati meetings, when we solved the fermi paradox

At the edge of our galaxy there is a massive beacon transmitting "Caution, dangerous chimpanzees, area quarantined"

:himeobs:
You can't get out backward.  You have to go forward to go back.. better press on! - Willie Wonka, PBUH

Life can be seen as a game with no reset button, no extra lives, and if the power goes out there is no restarting.  If that's all you see life as you are not long for this world, and never will get it.

"Ayn Rand never swung a hammer in her life and had serious dominance issues" - The Fountainhead

"World domination is such an ugly phrase. I prefer to call it world optimisation."
- Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality :lulz:

"You program the controller to do the thing, only it doesn't do the thing.  It does something else entirely, or nothing at all.  It's like voting."
- Billy, Aug 21st, 2019

"It's not even chaos anymore. It's BANAL."
- Doktor Hamish Howl

Cain

Quote from: Black Death on April 24, 2020, 01:57:20 PM
please unlighten us.......

Go read Hobbes.

Yes it is boring. But it'll teach you more than some internet jackoff.

altered

It's based on a scifi novel, is codified xenophobia in the worst and most violent form, and has no evidence except the xenophobic tendencies of its believers.

Why am I not surprised an antivax, climate change denying, xenophobic shitstain who believes the worst plague in modern history is a hoax would buy this shit?

Oh, right: because it makes them one step closer to being a fascist, which is their natural habitat.

I have this permanent, relentless urge to chew and gnaw, and you are my new favorite toy, Black Death. I will grind my teeth on you. I have needs.
"I am that worst of all type of criminal...I cannot bring myself to do what you tell me, because you told me."

There's over 100 of us in this meat-suit. You'd think it runs like a ship, but it's more like a hundred and ten angry ghosts having an old-school QuakeWorld tournament, three people desperately trying to make sure the gamers don't go hungry or soil themselves, and the Facilities manager weeping in the corner as the garbage piles high.

Black Death

Quote from: altered on April 24, 2020, 07:25:25 PM
It's based on a scifi novel, is codified xenophobia in the worst and most violent form, and has no evidence except the xenophobic tendencies of its believers.

Why am I not surprised an antivax, climate change denying, xenophobic shitstain who believes the worst plague in modern history is a hoax would buy this shit?

Oh, right: because it makes them one step closer to being a fascist, which is their natural habitat.

I have this permanent, relentless urge to chew and gnaw, and you are my new favorite toy, Black Death. I will grind my teeth on you. I have needs.

OK, you have needs, but you have no brain cells. I hope your needs are fulfilled, but your ideas are so far below bankrupt they don't even

Black Death

Quote from: Cain on April 24, 2020, 07:04:50 PM

Go read Hobbes.

I don't subscribe to other folks ideas. esp not internet jaggs like you.

But I am here to learn, so teach me something Hobbesian that changes my pov....I am all ears.

Cain

Quote from: Black Death on April 24, 2020, 09:19:49 PM

Go read Hobbes.

But I am here to learn, so teach me something Hobbesian that changes my pov....I am all ears.

:lol: Who do you think you are? I'm not your dancing monkey, I told you what to read. If you can't be bothered to do the reading, get the cliff notes from someone else.

Doktor Howl

We don't see aliens because WE are the fucking elder race.

So I say we leave hints of impossible technology on purpose.
Molon Lube

Black Death

Quote from: Cain on April 24, 2020, 09:26:36 PM

Go read Hobbes.

:lol: Who do you think you are? I'm not your dancing monkey, I told you what to read. If you can't be bothered to do the reading, get the cliff notes from someone else.

that's fair, but I still won't accept it. What was it that Hobbes said that YOU believe is more meaningful in human geopolitics than the dark forest theory?

Cain

I could really give two fucks what you will or won't "accept". You can either do a little Poli Sci 101, or you won't. Up to you. I'm not going to hold your hand or do your work for you.

The Wizard Joseph

Quote from: Black Death on April 24, 2020, 11:28:50 PM
Quote from: Cain on April 24, 2020, 09:26:36 PM

Go read Hobbes.

that's fair, but I can't read and don't want to try. Please do my thinking for me despite what an atrocious waste of biomass I have proven to be.

Fixed that for you Black Death. You. Are. Welcome.

You can't get out backward.  You have to go forward to go back.. better press on! - Willie Wonka, PBUH

Life can be seen as a game with no reset button, no extra lives, and if the power goes out there is no restarting.  If that's all you see life as you are not long for this world, and never will get it.

"Ayn Rand never swung a hammer in her life and had serious dominance issues" - The Fountainhead

"World domination is such an ugly phrase. I prefer to call it world optimisation."
- Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality :lulz:

"You program the controller to do the thing, only it doesn't do the thing.  It does something else entirely, or nothing at all.  It's like voting."
- Billy, Aug 21st, 2019

"It's not even chaos anymore. It's BANAL."
- Doktor Hamish Howl

altered

Quote from: Cain on April 24, 2020, 11:40:51 PM
I could really give two fucks what you will or won't "accept". You can either do a little Poli Sci 101, or you won't. Up to you. I'm not going to hold your hand or do your work for you.

But Cain, you know nothing about geopolitics at all, and this man's pet theory comes from someone he trusts. You are no one and nobody and have never written a single word about anything until this thread.

It's not like you know what you're talking about. That would be impossible.

This is just like Joseph didn't quote the man, and I have no brain cells. We are all mere motes before his worldly experience.

I want to make him my permanent friend.
"I am that worst of all type of criminal...I cannot bring myself to do what you tell me, because you told me."

There's over 100 of us in this meat-suit. You'd think it runs like a ship, but it's more like a hundred and ten angry ghosts having an old-school QuakeWorld tournament, three people desperately trying to make sure the gamers don't go hungry or soil themselves, and the Facilities manager weeping in the corner as the garbage piles high.