News:

Endorsement:  I know that all of you fucking discordians are just a bunch of haters who seem to do anything you can to distance yourself from fucking anarchists which is just fine and dandy sit in your house on your computer and type inane shite all day until your fingers fall off.

Main Menu

Gender Neutral Spanich, etc.

Started by Odibex Grallspice, May 03, 2020, 01:20:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hooplala

Quote from: Doktor Howl on May 04, 2020, 11:28:26 PM
Quote from: Hoopla! on May 04, 2020, 09:45:33 PM
Quote from: Odibex Grallspice on May 04, 2020, 10:45:07 AM
Quote from: chaotic neutral observer on May 03, 2020, 03:04:35 PM
I don't believe that's actually a thing, although sometimes right-wing morons bring it up as an example of how they're being oppressed.

if you're not aware about it you're a step behind the right-wing morons who at least know of it. I call the person who delivers my dark web drugs as a "carrier", rather than what I did when I was younger, a "mailman". that makes sense to me. on the other hand I'm not going to say "humankind" instead of "mankind" becasue that's not a word

I have a PDF here from NOVA Southeastern University, which advises me to refer to "the common man" as "the average person" or "ordinary people". this kind of thing to me seems technically legit, but I can't be arsed to retrain my language processing.. thing. there's plenty folks who think language has a big role on how we perceive reality, and on the articulation of our societies. a William Burroughs referred to "Language is a virus", and.. even disregarding this perspective, I think it foolish to poo poo the role language plays in a peoples. that said, I, personally, think trying to change what a word means is a most inefficient means of effecting change (for insistence, insisting "racism" means "institutional" or "systemic" racism).

it may not be a top-of-mind, hot button, guaranteed-validation-generating issue, but it's most certainly a thing, one that the right's mocking of doesn't make nonextant. and yes I am new here in that I can view things anew, without the accumulated toxin-baises of someone who has been loitering about the various stratum for some time now. none of this has anything to do with my comment.

Yeah, I'm detecting a lot beneath the surface here that I don't care for.

It's not like we haven't had some experience along these lines.

Exactamundo.
"Soon all of us will have special names" — Professor Brian O'Blivion

"Now's not the time to get silly, so wear your big boots and jump on the garbage clowns." — Bob Dylan?

"Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)"
— Walt Whitman

Odibex Grallspice

Quote from: rong on May 04, 2020, 03:21:14 PMi would think since inanimate objects are unable to formulate opinions about their own identity, one has not choice but to assume their gender.  The inanimate object not only lacks the sentience to disagree, but it can't even have an opinion about it in the first place.

yeah, you seem to get it. "gender neutral language" doesn't have squat to do with preferred pronouns. seemed like a pretty fair question, how gender neutral language gibes with this gendered inanimate object thing. it seems like it would be a massive issue to me. I guess this is something all the "romances languages" do, and would include Italian and.. I dunno, it's not for me to say. I didn't go to college or school just a head's up.

the "latinx" thing, I guess that actually does start to address the whole thing. I'll probably be less annoyed by it when I see it now.

but yeah maybe it was inappropriate for me to ask about this on a "Discord in Spanish" subforum. please accept my humble apologies, I surely didn't intend to give anyone vaguely articulated "bad vibes"

hooplala

I proudly refuse that humble apology.

"Now's not the time to get silly, so wear your big boots and jump on the garbage clowns." — Bob Dylan?

"Do I contradict myself?
— Walt Whitman

Odibex Grallspice

hey don't ruin it:

"for the fellows who sense there's a "chicken in the henhouse" (?) etc., this is the post I made today before navigating here. talk amount yourselves I guess. maybe shoot it off to Tom Chaudion"

https://imgur.com/e3iQwhS

minuspace

Here we discuss how the prelinguistic sexing of objects by cortical canalizations in infants results gender inequality.

hooplala

Quote from: Odibex Grallspice on May 05, 2020, 09:11:10 PM
hey don't ruin it:

"for the fellows who sense there's a "chicken in the henhouse" (?) etc., this is the post I made today before navigating here. talk amount yourselves I guess. maybe shoot it off to Tom Chaudion"

Cool. Now I can completely ignore you with a clean conscience.

"Do I contradict myself?
— Walt Whitman

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Odibex Grallspice on May 05, 2020, 08:54:30 PM
Quote from: rong on May 04, 2020, 03:21:14 PMi would think since inanimate objects are unable to formulate opinions about their own identity, one has not choice but to assume their gender.  The inanimate object not only lacks the sentience to disagree, but it can't even have an opinion about it in the first place.

yeah, you seem to get it. "gender neutral language" doesn't have squat to do with preferred pronouns. seemed like a pretty fair question, how gender neutral language gibes with this gendered inanimate object thing. it seems like it would be a massive issue to me. I guess this is something all the "romances languages" do, and would include Italian and.. I dunno, it's not for me to say. I didn't go to college or school just a head's up.

the "latinx" thing, I guess that actually does start to address the whole thing. I'll probably be less annoyed by it when I see it now.

but yeah maybe it was inappropriate for me to ask about this on a "Discord in Spanish" subforum. please accept my humble apologies, I surely didn't intend to give anyone vaguely articulated "bad vibes"

I am sorry that you are bothered by the term "LatinX".  I shall ask all the LatinX people to be more considerate in the future.

I am sorry that you are bothered by the term "racism" being applied to the dominant cultural group.  I shall send a memo to the Blacks, Browns, LGBT, Asians, Jews, and those Zoroastrian fuckers that nobody likes, and we'll see if they can't improve their attitudes.

I am sorry that we're a pack of bastards who take an undue joy in dragging you around by the ankles just because you are above worrying about "the average man" or whether "personhole" is a good replacement for "manhole."

Mostly, though, I am sorry about the lack of sincerity in this post.
Molon Lube

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Odibex Grallspice on May 05, 2020, 09:11:10 PM
hey don't ruin it:

hey mister, you dropped your tiki torch.
Molon Lube

Odibex Grallspice

Quote from: Doktor Howl on May 05, 2020, 09:35:53 PMhey mister, you dropped your tiki torch.
yes. there's nothing actually wrong with tiki torches besides you seeing 'em a bad context, Tom. if you'd like to launch a thing at me that's great;. I'm not going to address a line of ant ghosts trucking to and fro 'cause they smell pineapple. I don't even know if you have a foreskin friend.

altered

Quote from: Odibex Grallspice on May 05, 2020, 10:15:25 PM
Quote from: Doktor Howl on May 05, 2020, 09:35:53 PMhey mister, you dropped your tiki torch.
yes. there's nothing actually wrong with tiki torches besides you seeing 'em a bad context, Tom. if you'd like to launch a thing at me that's great;. I'm not going to address a line of ant ghosts trucking to and fro 'cause they smell pineapple. I don't even know if you have a foreskin friend.

Hey, psst, you aren't supposed to say the quiet part out loud. Is that how you got banned from Instagram, I wonder?
"I am that worst of all type of criminal...I cannot bring myself to do what you tell me, because you told me."

There's over 100 of us in this meat-suit. You'd think it runs like a ship, but it's more like a hundred and ten angry ghosts having an old-school QuakeWorld tournament, three people desperately trying to make sure the gamers don't go hungry or soil themselves, and the Facilities manager weeping in the corner as the garbage piles high.

Odibex Grallspice

Quote from: Hoopla! on May 05, 2020, 09:22:19 PM

dude? if you've got a problem w/me kindly find a way to articulate it. otherwise I'm not sure how to address it. are you able to that? or do you believe I'm obligated to guess at your peruvision?

Quote from: Doktor Howl on May 05, 2020, 09:34:57 PM
I am sorry that you are bothered by the term "racism" being applied to the dominant cultural group.  I shall send a memo to the Blacks, Browns, LGBT, Asians, Jews, and those Zoroastrian fuckers that nobody likes, and we'll see if they can't improve their attitudes.

I am sorry that we're a pack of bastards who take an undue joy in dragging you around by the ankles just because you are above worrying about "the average man" or whether "personhole" is a good replacement for "manhole."

honestly, mate, I have absolutely no idea what you're talking about, and it seems like you're intent on injecting malicious intentions in the discussion here. is there something you'd like to discuss, other than insinuating people are racist?

Odibex Grallspice

Quote from: altered on May 05, 2020, 10:30:44 PM
Quote from: Odibex Grallspice on May 05, 2020, 10:15:25 PM
Hey, psst, you aren't supposed to say the quiet part out loud. Is that how you got banned from Instagram, I wonder?

honestly the foreskin thing was a bluff and I was just throwing it out there like a cat in the wind. I don't even know which one is insta, I'm sad to say. is it the one you have to own a smartphone to be on? becasue that is not proper stuff.

chaotic neutral observer

Quote from: Odibex Grallspice on May 05, 2020, 10:39:32 PM
honestly the foreskin thing was a bluff and I was just throwing it out there like a cat in the wind.
Clarify.  You say your words were a bluff.  What were you pretending, and how does that differ from the reality?
Desine fata deum flecti sperare precando.

hooplala

Quote from: chaotic neutral observer on May 05, 2020, 10:44:01 PM
Quote from: Odibex Grallspice on May 05, 2020, 10:39:32 PM
honestly the foreskin thing was a bluff and I was just throwing it out there like a cat in the wind.
Clarify.  You say your words were a bluff.  What were you pretending, and how does that differ from the reality?

"It was all an experiment" in 3... 2...

"Do I contradict myself?
— Walt Whitman

hooplala

Quote from: Odibex Grallspice on May 05, 2020, 10:33:54 PM
Quote from: Hoopla! on May 05, 2020, 09:22:19 PM

dude? if you've got a problem w/me kindly find a way to articulate it. otherwise I'm not sure how to address it. are you able to that? or do you believe I'm obligated to guess at your peruvision?

Quote from: Doktor Howl on May 05, 2020, 09:34:57 PM

honestly, mate, I have absolutely no idea what you're talking about, and it seems like you're intent on injecting malicious intentions in the discussion here. is there something you'd like to discuss, other than insinuating people are racist?

Naw, no need to articulate anything, because that would be tacitly inviting discourse. You've actually articulated everything I needed to know.

"Do I contradict myself?
— Walt Whitman