News:

Christians *have* to sin.
If they don't, it's like Christ died for nothing.

Main Menu

"It's not my job to educate you" - asymmetries in accessibility

Started by Cramulus, May 06, 2020, 02:27:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rong

I almost posted "honest question:  what is sea-lioning?"

But then I thought, maybe I should re-read and see if I see an explanation.  And I found a handy link.  Now I'm not sure if and how funny it would've been for me to continue as planned and post "honest question:  what is sea lioning?" Which no longer would've been an honest question.  These are the things I wrestle with.

Although I think a lot of miscommunication occurs due to misconstrued motives.
"a real smart feller, he felt smart"

LMNO

The fact I literally posted a link to the definition in my first response would have either made it funnier, if it turned out to be funny in the first place.

I guess we'll never know.

Doktor Howl

Quote from: rong on May 08, 2020, 07:33:40 PM

You have in the past made your motives perfectly clear.
Molon Lube

rong

Quote from: LMNO on May 08, 2020, 07:59:11 PM
The fact I literally posted a link to the definition in my first response would have either made it funnier, if it turned out to be funny in the first place.

I guess we'll never know.

I know right?  Such a dillemma

rong

Quote from: Doktor Howl on May 08, 2020, 08:07:35 PM

This sounds very much like a conclusion

Doktor Howl

Quote from: rong on May 08, 2020, 08:54:24 PM
Quote from: Doktor Howl on May 08, 2020, 08:07:35 PM

This sounds very much like a conclusion

Not an unreasonable one, given your history here.
Molon Lube

minuspace

Quote from: LMNO on May 06, 2020, 02:50:59 PM
I wouldn't dismiss the bad faith "just asking questions" sea-lioning so easily.

That's precisely the reason this behavior occurs so much, especially in marginalized spaces, and it's not just because of trolling.  Think about it like when some new kid shows up on PD and starts in with Reality Tunnel 101, or wants to talk about quantum ESP.  While it may be new to them, I really don't want to go through the fundamentals of the Standard Model and decoherence yet again; I want to talk about the next thing, whatever that is.  Combine that with the ubiquitous presence of sea lions, and it's really difficult to muster the energy to respond other than dismissively.

There will occasionally be someone who sounds generally curious about the basics, and I'll do my best to explain stuff, but if I get even a whiff of willful ignorance, it's over.

Yoink (that is the sound of me starting to understand how a meme works, I think)

The Wizard Joseph

Quote from: LuciferX on May 09, 2020, 01:43:00 AM
I wouldn't dismiss the bad faith "just asking questions" sea-lioning so easily.

That's precisely the reason this behavior occurs so much, especially in marginalized spaces, and it's not just because of trolling.  Think about it like when some new kid shows up on PD and starts in with Reality Tunnel 101, or wants to talk about quantum ESP.  While it may be new to them, I really don't want to go through the fundamentals of the Standard Model and decoherence yet again; I want to talk about the next thing, whatever that is.  Combine that with the ubiquitous presence of sea lions, and it's really difficult to muster the energy to respond other than dismissively.

There will occasionally be someone who sounds generally curious about the basics, and I'll do my best to explain stuff, but if I get even a whiff of willful ignorance, it's over.

Yoink (that is the sound of me starting to understand how a meme works, I think)

Yoinksec could always use more recruits. Here's a badge if you want it. Everything after that is your show. We don't coordinate on purpose.
You can't get out backward.  You have to go forward to go back.. better press on! - Willie Wonka, PBUH

Life can be seen as a game with no reset button, no extra lives, and if the power goes out there is no restarting.  If that's all you see life as you are not long for this world, and never will get it.

"Ayn Rand never swung a hammer in her life and had serious dominance issues" - The Fountainhead

"World domination is such an ugly phrase. I prefer to call it world optimisation."
- Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality :lulz:

"You program the controller to do the thing, only it doesn't do the thing.  It does something else entirely, or nothing at all.  It's like voting."
- Billy, Aug 21st, 2019

"It's not even chaos anymore. It's BANAL."
- Doktor Hamish Howl

methbong

God dont you hate it when youre talking shit about someone and they have the nerve to defend themselves? What kind of fucking asshole would do something like that.

Quote from: P3nT4gR4m on May 06, 2020, 03:59:25 PM
As a sweeping generalisation, based on observation. The right tend toward, the exact, over simplistic interpretations that uneducated people crave. "The simple truth". Much more compelling and easy to swallow than a whole bunch of complex and nuanced shit that takes decades to fully understand. The left on the other hand, are generally supercilious twats who look down their noses at anyone with the audacity to espouse a point of view that has a rational counterargument.

Spending decades of your life meditating with manbunn "male feminist' sexual predators in a panera bread on a mountaintop so you can understand sentences like:

"Bratz: Girls Rock(2008) for the GBA makes promising inroads for asexual representation but unfortunately continues the series history of erasing the nonbinary."
if you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best."

methbong

"You might think my complete inability to defend my wordlview against critical questions makes me a 'dumbass' or a 'dipshit'. But you greatly underestimate the EMOTIONAL LABOR of talking to people who disagree with me."

And yet, somehow, as the comic in the OP points out, the forces of evil seem to never feel the intense toll of this emotional labor. Maybe, just maybe, when you have a coherent belief system explaining yourself isnt "labor". Its when you have to keep a million plates of bullshit spinning at once that answering simple straightforward questions about what you believe("sea lioning") is so exhausting.
if you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best."

Chelagoras The Boulder

the forces of evil never feel the toll of emotional labor because their side of things is incredibly easy compared to the person answering. A lot of the time sealioning comes with a lot of dismissal and willful ignorance baked in. You give the straightforward answer, they act like they've never heard of systemic racism or misogyny or question its very existence, and demand you explain it from scratch. So now, YOU have to improvise a PolySci lecture within the context of a FB post, while he sits back and waits to call all your sources fake news. The leftist has the burden of being right, the fascist has no such burden, and just has to keep playing dumb in order to completely derail the convo, and soon enough he has a neat little screenshot of the exchange to show all his Nazi friends and any potential recruits he might find as evidence of how incoherent, emotional, and RUDE The Left is. And after a while you realize that you've essentially become one of the dipshits determined to argue with the guy who has made up his mind that sharks are smooth, and stop feeding into it. Which is pretty much where were at.
"It isn't who you know, it's who you know, if you know what I mean.  And I think you do."

Chelagoras The Boulder

"It isn't who you know, it's who you know, if you know what I mean.  And I think you do."

Fujikoma

This thread is actually quite insightful. Thanks, a number of things make more sense now, also I had no idea what "sealioning" was until today.

Odibex Grallspice

If your whole approach to the world hasn't already been gone over ten billion times then you're probably not going to feel like it's been gone over ten billion times when somebody asks about it. I'm absolutely delighted when someone asks me to explain how things work. I don't understand what sea lioning is - if somebody asks for evidence I give it to them. if you're so exhausted by your own worldview maybe that's something you should consider. and by "your" I mean, reading the topic here, it's clear we're talking about truths that have nothing to do with your own conjecture.

The Johnny

Quote from: Odibex Grallspice on October 21, 2020, 04:31:31 AM
If your whole approach to the world hasn't already been gone over ten billion times then you're probably not going to feel like it's been gone over ten billion times when somebody asks about it. I'm absolutely delighted when someone asks me to explain how things work. I don't understand what sea lioning is - if somebody asks for evidence I give it to them. if you're so exhausted by your own worldview maybe that's something you should consider. and by "your" I mean, reading the topic here, it's clear we're talking about truths that have nothing to do with your own conjecture.

What do you mean by exhausted by your own worldview?
<<My image in some places, is of a monster of some kind who wants to pull a string and manipulate people. Nothing could be further from the truth. People are manipulated; I just want them to be manipulated more effectively.>>

-B.F. Skinner