News:

PD.COM:  Mindlessly hitting the refresh button for weeks on end.

Main Menu

This question is "for the brightest"

Started by DrStrangechao, May 22, 2020, 06:23:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Juana

Quote from: Doktor Howl on May 25, 2020, 06:03:58 AM
Quote from: Juana on May 24, 2020, 08:09:37 PM
Quote from: Cramulus on May 23, 2020, 03:52:53 PM
The phrase on the apple, "ΤΗΙ ΚΑΛΛΙΣΤΗΙ" may be derived from an epithet of the nymph Callisto:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Callisto_(mythology)#Origin_of_the_myth

It sounds like the word was sometimes attached to other goddess names, like Kallisti Athena (Athena the Most Beautiful)

this page on the Apple adds a little more:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apple_of_Discord#%22To_the_Most_Beautiful%22

QuoteΚαλλίστῃ is the dative singular of the feminine superlative of καλός, beautiful. In Latin sources, the word is formosissima.

"formosissima" is latin for "most beautiful" or "most well-formed", which seems to refer to physical qualities.

But  The Greek word καλός seems a little bit more broad than saying something is "well put together", it also has a connotation of rightness:

Quoteκαλός • (kalós) m (feminine καλή, neuter καλόν); first/second declension

1. beautiful, lovely
2. good, quality, useful
3. good, right, moral, virtuous, noble

That's not particularly surprising. If you were beautiful, it was because the gods loved you and iirc there's a connection between beauty and moral rightness in some Indo European traditions.

And in America.
Absolutely
"I dispose of obsolete meat machines.  Not because I hate them (I do) and not because they deserve it (they do), but because they are in the way and those older ones don't meet emissions codes.  They emit too much.  You don't like them and I don't like them, so spare me the hysteria."

DrStrangechao

Quote from: LuciferX on May 22, 2020, 10:27:03 PM
Quote from: DrStrangechao on May 22, 2020, 06:23:19 PM
Greetings!

[...]

And on that note, where what the fuck *is* the apple?

[FTFY]

Exactly.

Thank you for the correction.  It totally changes the question (and potential answers) :)
What was the big deal about an apple? Maybe if it was actually made of gold, it would make sense. Or maybe apples, oranges, various other tree fruit were rare (even for the gods) that it was coveted so. Maybe it's just a metaphorical lesson in don't fight over what's not yours.

@The Wizard Joseph and @Cramulus

These stories are a giant game of etymology aka "telephone."  Found this one (from an unverified internet source, Quora):

Fair./

( Amharic)

Faird, verb : Justice, law, true judgement.

Fairede= He judged fairly

Fairedech= she judged fairly

Fairdenibetal = we have judged upon him

Fairdenibetal= we have judged upon her

Fairedu = they have judged

Ina-Faired= let us give judgement

Fairdu = the judgement

This language is spoken in parts of eastern Africa. The Greeks, like any other culture, were influenced by other belief systems, e.g. Egyptian.  Maybe I am barking up the wrong tree altogether but hey, it's worth a neuron or two of discussion.  Everything is connected lol

And not sure where to post this question, but what's with the Captcha exercises each time to post something?  Why do I feel as if I'm helping the AI to recognize stop signs, crosswalks, traffic lights, fire hydrants, etc? so as to further the goals of self-driving cars and delivery drones? 
I am not a robot! Not yet?

Or how I learned to stop worrying and love the Goddess

minuspace

Quote from: DrStrangechao on May 27, 2020, 08:29:59 PM
Quote from: LuciferX on May 22, 2020, 10:27:03 PM
Quote from: DrStrangechao on May 22, 2020, 06:23:19 PM
Greetings!

[...]

And on that note, where what the fuck *is* the apple?

[FTFY]

Exactly.

Maybe it's just a metaphorical lesson in don't fight over what's not yours.

I like that, it's really strong case for possession  :)

altered

I've been following this thread and it's surprisingly coherent and high quality given how it started. Normally this shit devolves into pinealist trash. Good work, everyone.
"I am that worst of all type of criminal...I cannot bring myself to do what you tell me, because you told me."

There's over 100 of us in this meat-suit. You'd think it runs like a ship, but it's more like a hundred and ten angry ghosts having an old-school QuakeWorld tournament, three people desperately trying to make sure the gamers don't go hungry or soil themselves, and the Facilities manager weeping in the corner as the garbage piles high.

Doktor Howl

Quote from: DrStrangechao on May 25, 2020, 10:53:24 PM
Quote from: Doktor Howl on May 22, 2020, 06:37:59 PM
Not sure, but what I AM sure of is that it doesn't matter.

There is nothing "just" about Eris.  She is a crone wading knee-deep in blood, smirking because she taught those other gods BUT GOOD for leaving her out of a party, and she did it by triggering a dark age.

Lastly, given general Greek mythology, it meant "the hottest," because the Greeks were shallow as fuck.

Thank you Doktor, I am probably sure that you are correct in that it doesn't matter.  As with most things, in general. 
Still...I like to explore alternative theories to pass the time  You evidently have some to share :)

Is Eris a petty bitch? Really sounds like one if you put it that way. :(

And here I was thinking that chaos/discord could be seen as "just" in a bizarre way, since we are pretty much all susceptible to it. On varying levels. I am possibly overthinking this.

The Greeks sure did have a "hotness" virtue lol.  There is an emphasis on aesthetic beauty in their tales. Screw all that inner beauty shit. External "hotness" is hardly fair/just and (mostly) overrated. It is a bonus, though!
:D

If you wanna call Eris a bitch, do it over there.  Way over there.
Molon Lube

DrStrangechao

If you wanna call Eris a bitch, do it over there.  Way over there.

I don't *want* to call Eris a bitch, nor was the intent of my question to imply that she is.   Legit, want to see if there are perspectives not usually considered with regard to how this tale has been told.  If the general consensus is that Eris was pissed about not being invited to a wedding, showed up and was told to get lost, "dropped" an apple dedicated to the "prettiest" (which, btw, is a fucking brilliant move to cause turmoil amongst women in general lol), created a decade-long war amongst mortals and milennia-long stereotype about Greeks and gifts, then who am I to argue with the general consensus?   I mean, we are here to agree with one another on everything, right?

;)

Or how I learned to stop worrying and love the Goddess

Doktor Howl

Quote from: DrStrangechao on June 16, 2020, 04:59:38 PM
I mean, we are here to agree with one another on everything, right?

;)

The rest of your post was lost because of this last bit.
Molon Lube