News:

Feel my amazing brain. Go on, touch it!

Main Menu

So about these riots...

Started by altered, May 28, 2020, 07:55:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

altered

Hard to fact check in real time: disregard prior, now deleted thing about "#dcblackout". There might or might not be something there, evidence of either way that story goes exists.
"I am that worst of all type of criminal...I cannot bring myself to do what you tell me, because you told me."

There's over 100 of us in this meat-suit. You'd think it runs like a ship, but it's more like a hundred and ten angry ghosts having an old-school QuakeWorld tournament, three people desperately trying to make sure the gamers don't go hungry or soil themselves, and the Facilities manager weeping in the corner as the garbage piles high.

altered

And debunked. Nothing happened in DC really last night.
"I am that worst of all type of criminal...I cannot bring myself to do what you tell me, because you told me."

There's over 100 of us in this meat-suit. You'd think it runs like a ship, but it's more like a hundred and ten angry ghosts having an old-school QuakeWorld tournament, three people desperately trying to make sure the gamers don't go hungry or soil themselves, and the Facilities manager weeping in the corner as the garbage piles high.

Cain

Well, something happened, insofar as someone crafted a disinfo op about a media and communications blackout in the city.

Almost like someone wants to create panic...

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Cain on June 01, 2020, 05:38:03 PM
Well, something happened, insofar as someone crafted a disinfo op about a media and communications blackout in the city.

Almost like someone wants to create panic...

Nobody would do that.  This is America.
Molon Lube

Cramulus

I've posted this sentiment before, but feels like a good moment to repeat it.

Today I am thinking about Foucault's position: that the current systems of governance are built on a logic meant to dissipate and confuse resistance to it.

Under the old system (monarchy / feudalism), society was a pyramid, and law & justice ultimately rested on the shoulders of one person. When people got trampled, their anger was directed at that person. Backlash against this system was risky, but decapitating that power hierarchy could actually change it. And one that coup-energy is loose, it's hard to put back in the box. During the French and American revolutions, we had to devise a new system of government, one that could not be so easily compromised by revolt. We invented things like Juries not because 9 random people are any good at determining justice, but in order to protect judges from backlash. Representative government means that regular people are theoretically *responsible* for the laws. This makes public opinion the first battleground for unrest.

This puts reformers in a tricky position - in order to change society in a broken democracy, you have to oppose not just the government agents, but everybody who gives those agents their power. 

This means that revolutions in democracies will always be social revolutions. "Us" and "them" are confused and overlapping. This is a built-in principle of our system of government--not a bug, but a feature. We're supposed to fight each other in the streets because the alternative was marching leaders to the guilotines.

Doktor Howl

https://apnews.com/b3817623ef861818803b5676d43741ea

Quote"Most of you are weak," Trump said. "You have to arrest people."

And

Quote"You've got to arrest people, you have to track people, you have to put them in jail for 10 years and you'll never see this stuff again," said Trump. "We're doing it in Washington, D.C. We're going to do something that people haven't seen before."

Then Barr mumbled some shit.

QuoteAttorney General Bill Barr, who was also on the call, told governors that a joint terrorist task force would be used to track agitators and urged local officials to "dominate" the streets and control, not react to crowds, and urged them to "go after troublemakers."

Then Trump got all FREEDOM

QuoteOn Monday, Trump also spoke of trying to criminalize flag-burning. The Supreme Court has conservative new members since it last ruled on that issue, and Trump said that "I think it's time to review that again."
Molon Lube

chaotic neutral observer

Quote from: Doktor Howl on June 01, 2020, 05:59:56 PM

Also,

"This isn't going to stop until the good guys are willing to use overwhelming force against the bad guys," Buck Sexton wrote in a message amplified by the president.

EXCESSIVE FORCE IS WHAT IGNITED THIS MESS IN THE FIRST PLACE, YOU FUCKING IDIOTS.
Desine fata deum flecti sperare precando.

minuspace

Quote you have to put them in jail for 10 years

Last time I checked, that level of exposure is reserved for a different kind of correctional facility IFF we wanted to get fucking juridical about things.

Juana

"I dispose of obsolete meat machines.  Not because I hate them (I do) and not because they deserve it (they do), but because they are in the way and those older ones don't meet emissions codes.  They emit too much.  You don't like them and I don't like them, so spare me the hysteria."

Doktor Howl

Tucson has, against its own nature, gone partially potato.  100 arrests over the weekend.
Molon Lube

Pergamos

Quote from: Bruno on May 31, 2020, 04:17:21 AM
Shit's on fire in Nashville, now. Reports of shit starting up in Lebanon. Both are close to me.

I have to wonder, who is behind all the fires and property damage? Is it protesters legitimately angry about the George Floyd murder, or is it other people with other agendas?

I suspect it is a mix.  Angry people, opportunistic looters, nazis, cops who want to look justified

Pergamos

Quote from: Doktor Howl on June 01, 2020, 05:59:56 PM

Quote"Most of you are weak," Trump said. "You have to arrest people."

And

Quote"You've got to arrest people, you have to track people, you have to put them in jail for 10 years and you'll never see this stuff again," said Trump. "We're doing it in Washington, D.C. We're going to do something that people haven't seen before."

Then Barr mumbled some shit.

QuoteAttorney General Bill Barr, who was also on the call, told governors that a joint terrorist task force would be used to track agitators and urged local officials to "dominate" the streets and control, not react to crowds, and urged them to "go after troublemakers."

Then Trump got all FREEDOM

QuoteOn Monday, Trump also spoke of trying to criminalize flag-burning. The Supreme Court has conservative new members since it last ruled on that issue, and Trump said that "I think it's time to review that again."

He's not wrong about the required actions, he's just wrong about the correct targets.  We need to start arresting cops who assault people, and put them in jail, before it becomes murder.

altered

Martial law declared.

Everyone who told me it would never get this far, FUCKING BITE ME.

Remember your rights under martial law: you have none. Be safe everyone.

Doktor Howl

Quote from: altered on June 02, 2020, 12:12:39 AM
Martial law declared.

Everyone who told me it would never get this far, FUCKING BITE ME.

Remember your rights under martial law: you have none. Be safe everyone.

It's not martial law.

You still have rights under martial law.

This is the pee-stained replacement Jesus having a fit.  My guess is that exactly two (2) governors will take him up on this.
Molon Lube

altered

Yeah, true, it's not literally martial law.

But functionally... I can't see him taking any "thanks but no thanks" responses with anything but outrage. And he tends to trample things he doesn't like, and we've seen there's no pushback whatsoever from the political establishment, so.

And yeah, technically you have rights under martial law. But functionally, this dipshit is going to harangue people already chomping at the bit to kill motherfuckers into doing what they already want to do.

Also, I have first hand (me I'm the hand that knows) knowledge of chuds with guns (at least one that is DEFINITELY illegal under the NFA, not saying another fucking word on that because I don't need IDed) going on a hunt now. So even if the military would protect your rights, you have armed goons cosplaying as the military ready to end you. For funsies. So.