News:

PD.com: "I'M MADDER THAN FISH GREASE!"

Main Menu

So about these riots...

Started by altered, May 28, 2020, 07:55:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doktor Howl

https://apnews.com/54bb86a085c3b720613508e7b7d8f8af

QuoteOKLAHOMA CITY (AP) — An Oklahoma man who was paralyzed from the waist down in a fall from a bridge when a truck drove through a crowd of protesters in Tulsa is improving, his brother said Wednesday.

Ryan Knight, who lives in Tulsa, fell at least 20 feet from an interstate overpass on May 31 as a truck pulling a horse trailer drove through the crowd protesting the death of George Floyd at the hands of Minneapolis police, according to Randy Knight.

Oh, yeah.

QuoteThe driver of the truck was questioned but not arrested, as the investigation is weeks from being completed, said Oklahoma Highway Patrol spokesperson Sarah Stewart. Stewart said no further information would be released at this time, including the driver's explanation as to why he drove through the crowd.
Molon Lube

minuspace

Quote from: altered on June 12, 2020, 05:19:53 AM
Capitalism is one part of it. A culture of guilt and punishment is another. A culture of comfort is yet another. Not to knock comfort in a personal sense, I'm talking about societal comfort: we don't have anything like a culture of ACCOUNTABILITY or SELF-CORRECTION for instance. We always blame, we always rationalize.

I'm also talking about social comfort: we prioritize "being ourselves" over "being decent people" to a fault. I'm a Discordian, I'm as fond of self-expression as everyone else here. That said, there comes a hard limit, and when your expression calls for genocide you should not be allowed to say "it's just my opinion calm down". You should have to confront that.

If we had a culture of questioning and confronting each other in meaningful ways, we'd have an easier time with this, to the point where confrontation and questioning wouldn't be considered a threat to self-expression. I have to imagine that racism and bigotry wouldn't last as long as it has in that world.

This list goes on. We have a hierarchical culture, we have a culture where morality comes from power rather than the inverse (or better still, completely eliminating the association of power with morality), and on and on and on. Every piece of Western civilization is one brick in a towering monument of racism and inequality. You can't just attack "capitalism", that gets you Stalinism or Maoism, which are basically identical except brutally oppressive and with less illusion of freedom. There is so so sooooo much more to fix before the dismantling of capitalism is even on the table, and there will be more after that, and racism remains a part of every one of those things that need worked on, so you can't be like "yes we will take these things out to reach The Racism and then reassemble the outer facade." No. It's all The Racism, or else the basic fundamental skeleton of any civilization at all. The only meat on the bones is racist.

Those are some high standards there, I can respect that. If we want to talk responsibility, accountability, correction and  stuff then it might be that there is no beef at all, like you say. Then I default to well, 'I guess they were right, racism really ain't no thing at all,' only thinking and so forth. Then would we still have to make up a story about it if people didn't correct on their own recognizance and such?

ETA:

It's not irrational to think that there are ways forward that do not involve this level of exploitation.

(...and then)

Identity politics and how that line we talked about tends to stop right at people's noses, or enter the fucking thought police and lets give their concept of self the third degree.

altered

First of all, they aren't high standards. Identify the three most important things to Western civilization in your opinion and go look the history of them up. What will you find? They were created to increase, reinforce or create inequality, full stop. Repeat until you get bored or realize that our idea of civilized society is a sham built on exploitation, inequality and suffering.

Secondly, we already have models of less exploitative cultures. It's just that we look at them as primitive garbage, thanks to imperialism

They don't map 1:1 from tribal scale to nation-state scale, but I'd rather adopt something that is expected to fail and identify and solve the problems with it from the word go than to try and pull the racism out of what we have already.

I feel like the creation of autonomous zones like is happening in Seattle is a great way to do this: you can start with an ethical thing built for a small group in a limited area, expand until you run into problems with the implementation, and fix them before you continue adding new people to it. If you fail, your failure is limited in the extent of its damage.
"I am that worst of all type of criminal...I cannot bring myself to do what you tell me, because you told me."

There's over 100 of us in this meat-suit. You'd think it runs like a ship, but it's more like a hundred and ten angry ghosts having an old-school QuakeWorld tournament, three people desperately trying to make sure the gamers don't go hungry or soil themselves, and the Facilities manager weeping in the corner as the garbage piles high.

minuspace

Quote from: altered on June 12, 2020, 09:29:11 PM
First of all, they aren't high standards. Identify the three most important things to Western civilization in your opinion and go look the history of them up. What will you find? They were created to increase, reinforce or create inequality, full stop. Repeat until you get bored or realize that our idea of civilized society is a sham built on exploitation, inequality and suffering.

Secondly, we already have models of less exploitative cultures. It's just that we look at them as primitive garbage, thanks to imperialism

They don't map 1:1 from tribal scale to nation-state scale, but I'd rather adopt something that is expected to fail and identify and solve the problems with it from the word go than to try and pull the racism out of what we have already.

I feel like the creation of autonomous zones like is happening in Seattle is a great way to do this: you can start with an ethical thing built for a small group in a limited area, expand until you run into problems with the implementation, and fix them before you continue adding new people to it. If you fail, your failure is limited in the extent of its damage.

To demand freedom is a high standard, unfortunately, as the trivial telos you reference proves.

As you know, I'm all for the TAZ, minus that other problematic character. As for the mapping, it's actually more accurate for it to plan locally as the horizon is dropping off far more quickly than can otherwise be maintained by false tangents to it. The model then becomes cellular and symbiotic instead of parasitic. Given my limited understanding, my guess is that would scale-up...coming from someone that sometimes questions the sovereignty of his own mind.

ETA:

To then obtain freedom AND maintain each person's individual sovereignty and autonomy; that would be a thing.

Pergamos

Quote from: The Johnny on June 10, 2020, 12:49:32 AM
Quote from: Pergamos on June 09, 2020, 03:16:07 PM
Quote from: The Johnny on June 06, 2020, 12:06:26 PM

Btw, theres echoes of the riots down here in several cities in Mexico, its kinda weird:

https://twitter.com/i/events/1269004961326567424

Yesterday they set a policeman on fire in Guadalajara, and today theyre outside the capitols embassy of the US; this started out because a construction worker was beaten to death, allegedly for not wearing a mask (for Covid and all that).

Its weird cause police brutality is like an everyday normal thing, i guess everyones on edge and its just an outlet.

Statistically Mexicans are equally likely to be brutalized by Police in Mexico or the US, Blacks are considerably more likely to be brutalized by police in the US than Mexico.

I dont understand what your point is, but, that's just because "gringo" trumps the "black/browness" characteristic, but worry not, we hate indigenous brown people too.

my point is that the everyday normal police brutality level there is the same as in the US (for Hispanics), and actually considerably better than what black Americans face.  I may have been making a faulty assumption in thinking you didn't think police brutality was an every day thing north of the border too.

Pergamos

Quote from: Cain on June 10, 2020, 05:38:31 PM
Europe likes to pretend it has a better handle on racism than the USA...then you mention Muslims or Roma and you can see the calls for the concentration camps coming in.

As a descendent of Roma refugees from WWII I am really grateful for the fact that in the US Gypsies are white. 

Bruno

A rich white couple in St. Louis decided to come outside and wave guns at some protesters who were walking by their house on their way to protest in front of Mayor Lyda Krewson's house.

QuoteThe protest came two days after a Facebook Live news briefing in which Krewson read the names and street addresses of protesters who are calling on the city to defund the police department,

https://www.ksdk.com/article/news/local/couple-points-guns-at-protesters-st-louis/63-915a4a2f-071f-4f01-b5b8-398790d615ca
Formerly something else...

methbong

Kinda cool how well this 3 week long full retard super spreader event was timed with the also retarded reopening.
if you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best."

methbong

Quote from: Bruno on June 29, 2020, 06:21:25 AM
A rich white couple in St. Louis decided to come outside and wave guns at some protesters who were walking by their house on their way to protest in front of Mayor Lyda Krewson's house.

QuoteThe protest came two days after a Facebook Live news briefing in which Krewson read the names and street addresses of protesters who are calling on the city to defund the police department,

https://www.ksdk.com/article/news/local/couple-points-guns-at-protesters-st-louis/63-915a4a2f-071f-4f01-b5b8-398790d615ca

It was a private road in a gated community. It was also the exact same day BLM beat the shit out of an old Catholic man by the St. Louis statue.

Context in this thread:

https://twitter.com/CMartinForMO/status/1277299606699851777?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

Kinda cool how the media will just flat lie about these things now though. Its almost as if they want certain people(kulaks) to die.
if you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best."

methbong

Doktor Howl

Quote from: methbong on July 03, 2020, 05:17:10 PM

It was a private road in a gated community. It was also the exact same day BLM beat the shit out of an old Catholic man by the St. Louis statue.

Context in this thread:

Kinda cool how the media will just flat lie about these things now though. Its almost as if they want certain people(kulaks) to die.

Can't you just feel the edge, folks?
Molon Lube

methbong

Quote from: Doktor Howl on July 03, 2020, 06:05:39 PM
Quote from: methbong on July 03, 2020, 05:17:10 PM

Context in this thread:

Can't you just feel the edge, folks?

Feel the edge of telling the truth?

Doktor Howl

Feeling the edge of being banned for evading a ban.

GTFO.  The last thing the world needs right now is your weird passive aggressive shit.
Molon Lube

methbong

Quote from: Doktor Howl on July 03, 2020, 06:23:56 PM
Feeling the edge of being banned for evading a ban.

GTFO.  The last thing the world needs right now is your weird passive aggressive shit.

Weirdly passivly aggressively telling the truth? This is a super spreader event. Tons of people are going to die and the economy will never recover in your lifetime, and you all cheerleaded it the entire time to own the Kulaks.

Youre awful Rodger.

Doktor Howl

Imagine being such a slave to any new trend that you actually start worshiping the joker.

And Ron Paul Weed/Methbong has left the building.
Molon Lube