News:

We've got artists, scientists, scholars, pranksters, publishers, songwriters, and political activists.  We've subjected Discordia to scrutiny, torn it apart, and put it back together. We've written songs about it, we've got a stack of essays, and, to refer back to your quote above, we criticize the hell out of each other.

Main Menu

Bad Apples

Started by LMNO, June 16, 2020, 04:54:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LMNO

Before I go through the grueling, depressing, and somewhat Quixote-ian leg work, maybe I should ask.

Does anyone know of a database that tallies all of the awful stuff the cops do, and has a running list of "Bad Apples"?

I'm just thinking it would be handy when someone uses that useless phrase, you can turn around and say, "we're up to 10,000 bad apples, Karen.  You think we should start shopping at a different grocery store?"

Obviously, some rounding will need to be done, like "all the cops allowing the use of tear gas in Seattle after being prohibited from doing so" will need more of an estimate.

minuspace

You want DB to be (contain) index of real/ proper name of each individual Apple?

Because in that case this would not have requested granularity

https://mappingpoliceviolence.org/

DrStrangechao

Why bother with apples when the tree itself, from root to trunk to branch, is rotten and diseased?

We can continue to selectively treat the apparent symptoms and that changes nothing.

We can pretend it will heal itself and that is a useless sentiment.

We can uproot the entire rotten mess but no one has the kind of machinery necessary to be remotely effective.
Plus, some other asshole will likely come along with another shitty-ass tree to fill the enormous power void left behind.

The police *physical* violence is simply the most visible violence perpetrated against the public and/or private citizens.  The police/court/government *institutional/bureaucratic/legal* malice perpetrated is not as visible. Practically invisible to those not being ground down by the "system." This is what allows the former to exist.

You know, sometimes negligent campers leave a fire unattended and an entire forest burns down.  Sometimes its due to dead, dry wood and a lightning strike.  Too much? Nah...What is seen as destruction allows for new growth and potential.

Cheers! :)
Or how I learned to stop worrying and love the Goddess

Cain

LMNO pretty clearly said what he wanted it for.

Nibor the Priest

Quote from: LMNO on June 16, 2020, 04:54:52 PMI'm just thinking it would be handy when someone uses that useless phrase, you can turn around and say, "we're up to 10,000 bad apples, Karen.

When I hear someone excuse killer cops as "a few bad apples", I like to ask why they've forgotten that the rest of the saying is "spoil the whole barrel".

LMNO

Quote from: proword on June 16, 2020, 05:27:14 PM
You want DB to be (contain) index of real/ proper name of each individual Apple?

This is helpful, but I was thinking to broaden it from murder to abuse of power, rape in custody, stop and frisk, unconstitutional acts, acts banned by the Geneva convention, etc.

I suspect that it would be a bit too overwhelming to do without a mental health plan in place first.

minuspace

Quote from: LMNO on June 16, 2020, 07:01:01 PM
Quote from: proword on June 16, 2020, 05:27:14 PM

This is helpful, but I was thinking to broaden it from murder to abuse of power, rape in custody, stop and frisk, unconstitutional acts, acts banned by the Geneva convention, etc.

I suspect that it would be a bit too overwhelming to do without a mental health plan in place first.

Yeah, the exformative thoughts would suck. Bolis of Ketalar and IV drip please.

minuspace

Also, operations outside purview of their jurisdiction, that would get the numbers up.

Cain

The Cato Institute used to have The National Police Misconduct Reporting Project, which covered a wide range of topics. They had to shut it down in 2017 due to a lack of funding, unfortunately, but the datasets might still exist, somewhere.

LMNO

Quote from: Cain on June 16, 2020, 07:23:21 PM
The Cato Institute used to have The National Police Misconduct Reporting Project, which covered a wide range of topics. They had to shut it down in 2017 due to a lack of funding, unfortunately, but the datasets might still exist, somewhere.

Thanks for the tip!

Cain

For one, they used to have the "Puppycide Index", the number of pets shot by SWAT police for no good reason.

LMNO

Quote from: Cain on June 16, 2020, 07:30:53 PM
For one, they used to have the "Puppycide Index", the number of pets shot by SWAT police for no good reason.

Oh, that's a good one.

I mean, it's terrible, but it's one hell of an underscoring of, "you think these are the good guys?"

Doktor Howl

Quote from: LMNO on June 16, 2020, 04:54:52 PM
Before I go through the grueling, depressing, and somewhat Quixote-ian leg work, maybe I should ask.

Does anyone know of a database that tallies all of the awful stuff the cops do, and has a running list of "Bad Apples"?

I'm just thinking it would be handy when someone uses that useless phrase, you can turn around and say, "we're up to 10,000 bad apples, Karen.  You think we should start shopping at a different grocery store?"

Obviously, some rounding will need to be done, like "all the cops allowing the use of tear gas in Seattle after being prohibited from doing so" will need more of an estimate.

I see that some people have offered resources.

You won't find anything from the FBI, though.  IIRC, they aren't permitted to track it.
Molon Lube

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Cain on June 16, 2020, 07:30:53 PM

THIS IS MY UNITED STATES OF WHATEVER.
Molon Lube

DrStrangechao

Quote from: Cain on June 16, 2020, 07:23:21 PM

https://www.cato.org/blog/new-report-police-misconduct

May be a good resource.

If it wasn't already, let's add civil conspiracy and collusion to the list, as well. Prosecutors, judges, justices, peripheral LE Agencies, those kind officer folks in command of the ship, working together to enforce acts and statutes.  Man, that's going to be a lot of rotten fruit.  But there is hope in the Age of Organics Recycling en Masse!
We have the science. We have the technology.
Or how I learned to stop worrying and love the Goddess