News:

Testimonial: "PD is the home of Pure Evil and All That Is Wrong With the Interwebz." - Queen of the Ryche, apparently in all seriousness

Main Menu

Stop demonizing medication.

Started by SparrowtheFallen, June 19, 2020, 08:50:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SparrowtheFallen

Everywhere i go where people are "against the status quo" i see the same thing. Some idiot somewhere telling people meds are evil. And i get it. meds are overprescribed, they sometimes have negative side-effects, all that shit. but you always hear about the negative shit.
People Love complaining. you hear about all the negative shit because the people for whom the shit works, dont have to talk about it.
So i am here to say this: stop demonizing medication, you assholes.

Not only do medications allow some people to function, it is dangerous to just outright stop taking them.
Withdrawal sucks. it can fucking kill you if its bad enough.

but what do I know? I am just a bird with a broken wing.
but what do i know? I'm just a bird with a broken wing.

Faust

You flew into our window, broke the wing and are now sitting in the pool on the roof chirping at a bunch of people who often espouse the legalization of all substances, for medical or recreational use, to stop demonising medication.

I assume you are specifically talking about SSRI's and not grandmothers insulin, they work for some people, they dont for others
Sleepless nights at the chateau

SparrowtheFallen

Honestly, this place is less dickish about it, true, but still, there are people in here with the "medication bad" viewpoint, something about being told to take them rubs them up the wrong way i guess. i just posted this rant to bitch about it, i have long ago stopped expecting that people listen to me, now i bitch because it makes me feel better

and yes, i am talking about shit like SSRI's, though i have once heard an absolute moron say that any medication is bad for you. not expecting that moron to survive very long though.

altered

Quote from: SparrowtheFallen on June 19, 2020, 09:15:58 AM
Honestly, this place is less dickish about it, true, but still, there are people in here with the "medication bad" viewpoint,

[snip]

Are there?
"I am that worst of all type of criminal...I cannot bring myself to do what you tell me, because you told me."

There's over 100 of us in this meat-suit. You'd think it runs like a ship, but it's more like a hundred and ten angry ghosts having an old-school QuakeWorld tournament, three people desperately trying to make sure the gamers don't go hungry or soil themselves, and the Facilities manager weeping in the corner as the garbage piles high.

The Johnny

Honestly, this place is less dickish about it, true, but still, there are people in here with the "medication bad" viewpoint, something about being told to take them rubs them up the wrong way i guess. i just posted this rant to bitch about it, i have long ago stopped expecting that people listen to me, now i bitch because it makes me feel better

and yes, i am talking about shit like SSRI's, though i have once heard an absolute moron say that any medication is bad for you. not expecting that moron to survive very long though.

The only person that had that agenda was RWHN (but that was about "illegal drugs", not "medication" per se), but hes gone now after some 500 pages of "high level debate".

But that is not to say that medication/drugs do not have side effects nor consequences... sometimes the side effects are negligible, sometimes it can kill you at different rates of speed. But it should be your right to decide what you consume, despite how noxious it is to your health. Now, on the production side of it, they do have the responsibility to document what the side effects are.

Now, there's certain drugs that can make one go berserk and harm others, I dont know how often that happens with crack and meth compared to say, cocaine... but stuff like that is something beyond harm to oneself (which is fine) and becomes danger to others. For example, theres regulations against driving under the influence, so if it's documented that certain substances have a high % of making you want to harm or kill others, then perhaps it should be required that one should be locked up during its effect.

Its just that ive heard/seen of several cases of high as fuck naked men that in broad daylight assault, kill and start cannibalizing their victims in the middle of the sidewalk... dont really know if that was due to a pre-existing psychological condition, or if it was purely induced by a specific drug, but that scenario does not really appeal to me.
<<My image in some places, is of a monster of some kind who wants to pull a string and manipulate people. Nothing could be further from the truth. People are manipulated; I just want them to be manipulated more effectively.>>

-B.F. Skinner

SparrowtheFallen

Quote from: The Johnny on June 19, 2020, 09:40:22 AM

The only person that had that agenda was RWHN (but that was about "illegal drugs", not "medication" per se), but hes gone now after some 500 pages of "high level debate".

In that case, maybe i am just a jumped up prick that got my panties in a twist about an issue in other places, and you poor bastards were the people who were closest when the lever between my brain and my mouth broke. if that is the case i apologise.

The Johnny

Quote from: SparrowtheFallen on June 19, 2020, 09:48:32 AM
Quote from: The Johnny on June 19, 2020, 09:40:22 AM

In that case, maybe i am just a jumped up prick that got my panties in a twist about an issue in other places, and you poor bastards were the people who were closest when the lever between my brain and my mouth broke. if that is the case i apologise.

If anything, we had some radical paganists around for a long time, I wouldnt be surprised if they argued something along those lines at some point.
<<My image in some places, is of a monster of some kind who wants to pull a string and manipulate people. Nothing could be further from the truth. People are manipulated; I just want them to be manipulated more effectively.>>

-B.F. Skinner

Doktor Howl

Quote from: SparrowtheFallen on June 19, 2020, 08:50:37 AM
Everywhere i go where people are "against the status quo" i see the same thing. Some idiot somewhere telling people meds are evil.

You're in the wrong neighborhood.
Molon Lube

Doktor Howl

Honestly, this place is less dickish about it, true, but still, there are people in here with the "medication bad" viewpoint,

You got here today.
Molon Lube

Doktor Howl

Molon Lube

chaotic neutral observer

I've been around here for a couple years.  If someone had started a rant against anti-depressants during that time, I expect I would have noticed, and I would not have reacted politely.
Desine fata deum flecti sperare precando.

SparrowtheFallen

Doktor Howl

Quote from: SparrowtheFallen on June 19, 2020, 03:24:10 PM
Quote from: Doktor Howl on June 19, 2020, 03:04:47 PM

You got here today.

yep, and i like bitching.

I can already tell that your arrival brings many novel things.
Molon Lube

Doktor Howl

Quote from: chaotic neutral observer on June 19, 2020, 03:22:45 PM
I've been around here for a couple years.  If someone had started a rant against anti-depressants during that time, I expect I would have noticed, and I would not have reacted politely.

You are not giving this thread the rage and froth that it deserves, my good man.  Letting the side down, so to speak.
Molon Lube

Doktor Howl

Quote from: altered on June 19, 2020, 09:36:14 AM

[snip]

Are there?

If there aren't, StF will just insist that there are.
Molon Lube