News:

In North Korea, this forum wouldn't be banned, it would be revered and taught in schools as a palatable and preferable version of Western history. And in many ways, that's all the truth the children of North Korea need

Main Menu

Stop demonizing medication.

Started by SparrowtheFallen, June 19, 2020, 08:50:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doktor Howl

Molon Lube

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Fujikoma on October 16, 2020, 04:30:10 AM
What the fuck did you all do? I was hoping to hook up for a weekend fling and you done fucked the dog. Oh well. I can find other dogs. That said, why does everyone want to jump on this person? Oh right, because of the toxicity present here that never leaves. Ok, you do that, I'll fart.

Saying "homeopathy" with a straight face gets a beating.

It's tradition.
Molon Lube

Fujikoma

I see. Well far be it for me to tell you folks how to run things or to ignore tradition. Back to lurking.

The Johnny

On second thought, next rape victim that comes for treatment, i'll serve them Datura tea, boop their nose and ears repeatedly while telling them to think of puppies instead of "bad things", and tell them that "some feelings and behaviors are maladaptive, and showing them better alternatives" as DBT technique dictates.

BTW:

DBT strives to have the patient view the therapist as an ally rather than an adversary in the treatment of psychological issues.
[...]
Linehan and others combined a commitment to the core conditions of acceptance and change through the principle of dialectics (in which thesis and antithesis are synthesized) and assembled an array of skills for emotional self-regulation drawn from Western psychological traditions, such as cognitive behavioral therapy and an interpersonal variant, "assertiveness training", and contemplative meditative traditions, such as mindfulness meditation. One of her contributions was to alter the adversarial nature of the therapist-client relationship in favor of an alliance based on intersubjective tough love.

<<My image in some places, is of a monster of some kind who wants to pull a string and manipulate people. Nothing could be further from the truth. People are manipulated; I just want them to be manipulated more effectively.>>

-B.F. Skinner

altered

What's sad is this thread will never be good for the Peanut Gallery, because its not just one chucklefuck becoming an infuriated moron in public, it's several, and they quit too fast to get any real joy out of. It's too small of game to truly reach the heights of idiocy we crave. We need someone with /staying power/, someone fit to fill page after page with lunatic raving idiocy and too stupid to recognize when they're in over their damn head and should bail fast. No more mere flirtations with woo, we need a grade A dipshit whose approach to online discussion is to Demand You Admit They Are Right, Or Else They'll Tell You How They Are Right, Again. :lulz: If only Fujikoma didn't flop out the door like a wounded tuna when I started aggressively filling his inbox with automatically generated hate, he might be worth picking on if he had the stomach. Alas... (Then again, maybe I should do it again.)

Also, I can't believe anyone would expect different responses to homeopathy from us when the Classic homeopathy thread is quarantined in our very own eternal dumbass memorial. What did you expect?
"I am that worst of all type of criminal...I cannot bring myself to do what you tell me, because you told me."

There's over 100 of us in this meat-suit. You'd think it runs like a ship, but it's more like a hundred and ten angry ghosts having an old-school QuakeWorld tournament, three people desperately trying to make sure the gamers don't go hungry or soil themselves, and the Facilities manager weeping in the corner as the garbage piles high.

LMNO

Did we ever archive that person who pretty much TRIPLED-down on homeopathy? It was wild.

Fujikoma

Truth be told I just sent them all to my spam folder. I just realized you were that petty in trying to get your point across that any attempt at healing whatever rift had occurred would be pointless, and I may as well just enjoy the good parts of this forum, which are reading people's posts when they're not frothing at the mouth, but rather being thoughtful, creative, and witty. Apparently I was interrupting that so I was like, "Well, this is counter-productive."

Odibex Grallspice

a) I was really bad-off miserable all the time before I got on meds and

b) no matter how crappy my life gets now I'm kinda OK with it

soo.. I mean, honestly my life is as bad as it could be, but I'm not suffering any distress at all. but and yet I sure wouldn't want to go under like I was before. I'm not really a common case but that's my experience.

Pergamos

Quote from: chaotic neutral observer on October 14, 2020, 09:21:52 PM

The only thing real going for it is that the drugs are REAL and cause real, psychoactive affects.
The only real thing going for it is that...it's real?  Isn't that a good thing?

Not necessarially, as Fomalhaut said real drugs can cause more harm than sugar pills can, if used in the wrong circumstances.

chaotic neutral observer

Quote from: Pergamos on October 22, 2020, 05:22:42 AM

The only thing real going for it is that the drugs are REAL and cause real, psychoactive affects.

Not necessarially, as Fomalhaut said real drugs can cause more harm than sugar pills can, if used in the wrong circumstances.

A circular saw isn't necessarially as good at cutting wood as a butter knife, since the saw makes it possible to cut the wood to the wrong length.
Desine fata deum flecti sperare precando.

The Johnny

You mean to say that using an effective and well designed tool for the wrong purpose can be harmful? Holy shit, we need to publish this in a scientific journal and let the world know!
<<My image in some places, is of a monster of some kind who wants to pull a string and manipulate people. Nothing could be further from the truth. People are manipulated; I just want them to be manipulated more effectively.>>

-B.F. Skinner

Doktor Howl

I have nothing useful to add to this thread.
Molon Lube

Pergamos

Quote from: chaotic neutral observer on October 22, 2020, 02:22:17 PM

A circular saw isn't necessarially as good at cutting wood as a butter knife, since the saw makes it possible to cut the wood to the wrong length.

In the hands of an incompetent a butter knife is WAY better for cutting wood, since the incompetent is far less likely to cut their (or my) leg off.  The average Homeopathic doctor is an incompetent, are you sure the average Psychiatrist isn't also an incompetent?

chaotic neutral observer

Quote from: Pergamos on October 25, 2020, 03:58:09 AM
Quote from: chaotic neutral observer on October 22, 2020, 02:22:17 PM

In the hands of an incompetent a butter knife is WAY better for cutting wood, since the incompetent is far less likely to cut their (or my) leg off.  The average Homeopathic doctor is an incompetent, are you sure the average Psychiatrist isn't also an incompetent?
Yes, a saw can be used for hurting yourself, as well as for cutting wood.  I could have added "or cause personal injury" to my statement without changing the import of my sarcasm.  The exact type of misuse isn't relevant, only that the possibility of misuse exists.

You appear to be claiming that something that is completely useless in the hands of anyone, regardless of their training or skill, is better than something that is designed to carry benefit, but can cause harm if misused.

Are you just trying to argue for the fun of it, or do you actually believe that nonsense?  'Cause if you have nothing intelligent to say, I'd just as soon this thread died out.

*For its intended purpose, of course.  We're talking about using a butter knife for cutting wood, not for spreading butter.
Desine fata deum flecti sperare precando.

The Johnny

Quote from: altered on June 19, 2020, 09:36:14 AM
Quote from: SparrowtheFallen on June 19, 2020, 09:15:58 AM
Honestly, this place is less dickish about it, true, but still, there are people in here with the "medication bad" viewpoint,

[snip]

Are there?

:wave: :whack:

-B.F. Skinner