Which form of tyranny do you prefer?

State Power
Corporate Power
Religious Power

Cramulus

NOBODY wants corporate power??

that makes sense

For fun, let's imagine a corporate UTOPIA

I could imagine an employee-owned company operating as a sane and just government. And employee-owned companies tend to be less exploitative, and have better profit sharing.

You'd still have that pesky "rule by committee" problem -- that is, they tend to be slow and clumsy, although that might actually be a benefit in some ways

But I could imagine a company allocating resources and organizing labor better than a state bureaucracy.

Cain

I can't.

C'mon Cram you've worked for large companies before. They're hilariously inefficient. The idea that they're inherently better at allocating resources can be disproven by looking at the sheer, vast amounts of dead weight that make up middle management.

Cramulus

oh yeah, I'm just talking about utopias--best possible scenarios. I couldn't imagine any corporate, state, or religious themed utopia actually coming about.

What would a corporate utopia look like?

In the "good" corporate-owned future, I imagine it's an employee-owned company - one where the company is accountable to shareholder citizens.

yeah yeah yeah 99% of the shares would instantly be controlled by 1% of the shareholders, but that's why you have an uhhhh, constitution or something? Wealth for everybody!  :ECH:

Cain

Probably something like a Silicon Valley tech startup, if we're talking utopia. Generous "in-house" benefits, but your entire life is effectively owned by the company. Company gym, supermarket, housing probably...

altered

That shit is a nightmare I've heard. Because people who do start-ups with lots of perks are clumsy, rich sociopaths who know they have no other hope of collecting and retaining talent but to swindle them into joining and lovebomb them into staying.
"I am that worst of all type of criminal...I cannot bring myself to do what you tell me, because you told me."

There's over 100 of us in this meat-suit. You'd think it runs like a ship, but it's more like a hundred and ten angry ghosts having an old-school QuakeWorld tournament, three people desperately trying to make sure the gamers don't go hungry or soil themselves, and the Facilities manager weeping in the corner as the garbage piles high.

chaotic neutral observer

Quote from: altered on July 06, 2020, 10:08:39 PM
That shit is a nightmare I've heard. Because people who do start-ups with lots of perks are clumsy, rich sociopaths who know they have no other hope of collecting and retaining talent but to swindle them into joining and lovebomb them into staying.
Also see, "Curt Schilling".
Desine fata deum flecti sperare precando.

Cain

Every utopia is just a dystopia with good branding.

Nibor the Priest

Quote from: Cramulus on July 06, 2020, 09:05:53 PM

that makes sense

I could imagine an employee-owned company operating as a sane and just government.

What's the difference between that and a worker-controlled state?

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Cramulus on July 06, 2020, 09:05:53 PM

that makes sense

I could imagine an employee-owned company operating as a sane and just government. And employee-owned companies tend to be less exploitative, and have better profit sharing.

You'd still have that pesky "rule by committee" problem -- that is, they tend to be slow and clumsy, although that might actually be a benefit in some ways

But I could imagine a company allocating resources and organizing labor better than a state bureaucracy.

1.  I am a corporate oppressive power structure, so I don't need one.

2.  Running a corporation as an employee run business, though, is as bad as trying to run a government like a business.  It's a category error.  Corporations are defined as businesses controlled by a board of shareholders (either in their own person or as a representative of lots of smaller shareholders.)  If it is employee-owned, it is not a corporation, it's a co-op.  Both have their own advantages and disadvantages. 

3.  I am a corporate utopia, so I don't need one.  I am in fact an expression of a corporation, at least while I am at work.  I used to preach against this, but of course I also used to be young.
Molon Lube

Junkenstein

The main difference is what fines get called.

Corporate - service charge
Religious - indulgences
Gov - penalty notice.

I'm guessing we're probably quite close to moving to corporate without much changing. Whether you like it or not, Jeff bezos is probably a wealthier than what, 5 nations?  10?

"hi, welcome to Pepsi. Due to flying from Starbucks, there's a convinience charge. If you need translation help, please ask anyone from McDonald's to assist. For passengers connecting on to amazon, please register your social credit information for a discount and your preferences in targeted marketing. Intel passengers may now begin to disembark"

Nine naked Men just walking down the road will cause a heap of trouble for all concerned.

Cramulus

the religious utopia has socialized enlightenment

Elder Iptuous

Junkenstein.  That sounds like the book, Jennifer Government.
A quick, fun read. I recommend.

LMNO

Quote from: Elder Iptuous on July 07, 2020, 02:02:00 PM
Junkenstein.  That sounds like the book, Jennifer Government.
A quick, fun read. I recommend.

I remember this board playing the online version, years ago.  It was kind of fun.

Elder Iptuous

Huh!
Never heard of that.  Nation states....
I'll have to give that a go.