News:

We can't help you...in fact, we're part of the problem.

Main Menu

Open Bar: Curbside Pickup Only

Started by Junkenstein, July 09, 2020, 06:38:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cramulus

someone told me that The Old Guard is like how action movies used to be in the 90s.

Bruno

Here in the south, we have "Mexican" restaurants around every corner, and also a fairly high Hispanic population.

I can't think of a single Canadian restaurant. Maybe they have those further north?

When I want poutine, I usually just dump a can of roast beef n' gravy on top of some frozen fries that I heated up in the toaster oven. I still haven't figured out what kind of cheese to put on it.
Formerly something else...

altered

For poor-dude's poutine, either mozzarella or cheddar. Mozza is closer, cheddar is less weird if you don't have real brown sauce.

And yes, there is a poutine place in AT LEAST Boston and Detroit — those are just the two that I know of.

And yeah, there's "Mexican" places all over, even around Dallas. Austin has the real deal though.
"I am that worst of all type of criminal...I cannot bring myself to do what you tell me, because you told me."

There's over 100 of us in this meat-suit. You'd think it runs like a ship, but it's more like a hundred and ten angry ghosts having an old-school QuakeWorld tournament, three people desperately trying to make sure the gamers don't go hungry or soil themselves, and the Facilities manager weeping in the corner as the garbage piles high.

LMNO

Quote from: Cramulus on July 21, 2020, 06:21:23 PM
someone told me that The Old Guard is like how action movies used to be in the 90s.

Personally, I think it's better.  A lot less misogyny and homophobia.

While we're on the subject of Netflix shows:
Disclosure - it's a pretty good Trans documentary.

Junkenstein

Quote from: Doktor Howl on July 21, 2020, 03:36:52 PM
Taco Bell is God warning you to act right.

After the franchise wars, all restaurants are now taco bell.
Nine naked Men just walking down the road will cause a heap of trouble for all concerned.

Bruno

Quote from: altered on July 21, 2020, 07:16:07 PM
For poor-dude's poutine, either mozzarella or cheddar. Mozza is closer, cheddar is less weird if you don't have real brown sauce.

And yes, there is a poutine place in AT LEAST Boston and Detroit — those are just the two that I know of.

And yeah, there's "Mexican" places all over, even around Dallas. Austin has the real deal though.

My understanding is that they use some kind of un-aged cheddar, and the only practical way to get it is to make it yourself, and restaurants in Canada that serve poutine make their own in-house. Permits and regulations make it nearly impossible for a restaurant to do that here in the U.S.

We have at least one Real Deal Mexican place, and I've heard rumors of another, but I haven't been there. My favorite Tex-Mex place has some really good fajitas, but the authentic place has some of the best beans I've ever eaten. The owner says they're meatless. I really wish I knew what he used to season them with. They're not regular pinto beans either. It's some kinda fancy bean you gotta have connections to get, I guess.

altered

They don't use un-aged cheddar, they use cheese curds. Which you can get by straining cottage cheese if you're desperate enough for the real thing, but if you don't have real brown sauce (AND YOU DO NOT) it isn't worth it.

Fresh mozza is closest to cheese curd. Cheddar has more of the sharpness of it though, so if you aren't using real brown sauce just stop lying to yourself and use some bagged shredded cheddar.
"I am that worst of all type of criminal...I cannot bring myself to do what you tell me, because you told me."

There's over 100 of us in this meat-suit. You'd think it runs like a ship, but it's more like a hundred and ten angry ghosts having an old-school QuakeWorld tournament, three people desperately trying to make sure the gamers don't go hungry or soil themselves, and the Facilities manager weeping in the corner as the garbage piles high.

Don Coyote

Taco Bell is a TEST of FORTITUDE that LESSER THINGS FAIL

altered

My theory is that Taco Bell is the remains of a Cold War era project to help soldiers fly for short distances at low altitude.

Bruno

For some reason Krystal burgers are worse for me than Taco Bell. No idea why. The only thing I can think of is the cooked onions, but I can eat far more cooked onions than can be found in a 6 pack of Krystals and not achieve anywhere near that level of flatulence.

altered

Flatulence?

I'm talking about turning your ass into a rocket motor. That isn't flatulence anymore, especially since we're talking about solid propellants.

Bruno

I see what you're saying.

It's just that Krystal burgers are the closest thing I can relate to what seems to be the common Taco Bell Experience. Somehow I seem immune to whatever dark magic they use, but then tiny hamburgers activate hovercraft mode, somehow.

It just literally farts in the face of all scientific knowledge.

Pergamos

Tucson has a poutine place.  America Fries, or something.  It's very decidedly Poutine, not Canadian.

Bellingham has an actually Canadian poutine place.

Juana

Taco Bell is just Bad. Doesn't make me miserable other than the actual act of eating it, but every time I go I remember why I don't. We have real Mexican food here and it's fucking good, so why?
"I dispose of obsolete meat machines.  Not because I hate them (I do) and not because they deserve it (they do), but because they are in the way and those older ones don't meet emissions codes.  They emit too much.  You don't like them and I don't like them, so spare me the hysteria."

Trivial

Quote from: altered on July 21, 2020, 08:03:10 PM
They don't use un-aged cheddar, they use cheese curds. Which you can get by straining cottage cheese if you're desperate enough for the real thing, but if you don't have real brown sauce (AND YOU DO NOT) it isn't worth it.

Fresh mozza is closest to cheese curd. Cheddar has more of the sharpness of it though, so if you aren't using real brown sauce just stop lying to yourself and use some bagged shredded cheddar.

I can get cheese curds at gas stations here.  It's good when it's still squeaks when you eat it.
Sexy Octopus of the Next Noosphere Horde

There are more nipples in the world than people.