News:

By the power of lulz, I, while living, have conquered the internets.

Main Menu

Open Bar: Curbside Pickup Only

Started by Junkenstein, July 09, 2020, 06:38:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Faust

Interesting, how do you mean?
I see horror the odd individual horror parts: body horror for the Klingon Dude, Pike knowing his fate, spore drive eating the ship, but it conflicts with the presentation and the super upbeat way everyone speaks to each other. When I say exploration, I see it for some of the individual events and episodes, but not for the overarching plot of the Klingon conflict or the Red Angel / AI thing. It's violent frequently, but I never felt any sense of horror
Sleepless nights at the chateau

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Faust on July 13, 2020, 04:51:30 PM
I see horror the odd individual horror parts: body horror for the Klingon Dude, Pike knowing his fate, spore drive eating the ship, but it conflicts with the presentation and the super upbeat way everyone speaks to each other. When I say exploration, I see it for some of the individual events and episodes, but not for the overarching plot of the Klingon conflict or the Red Angel / AI thing. It's violent frequently, but I never felt any sense of horror

Dude, ep 2 was the classic derelict ship horror.  Every ep was a different horror trope, including but not definitely limited to the ones you named.

Thing is, somewhere, the federation shines brightly.  Somewhere people are happy and equal.  Just not these schmoes.  They're stuck out there, and EVERY SINGLE horror trope is used, but they're federation so they keep on keeping on, because THIS series is about remembering who you are, no matter how bad it gets.

The tropes are horror, the script-writing is Star Trek, and I love that combo.

Beats the fuck out of watching the bridge crew play flutes, anyway.
Molon Lube

Doktor Howl

What they NEED to do is Star Trek: Howl.
Molon Lube

Faust

Eventually fed up of his complaining about the monkeys not leaving his planet, the monkeys bundled Howl into an oil barrel and shot him out past the further reaches of the galaxy, where his continuing mission of exploration each week is both sexy and Nightmarish

I'm going to go back and watch some random episodes of discovery, its possible I missed those individual plots bundled up with the wishy washy red angel, Multiverse, time travel AI shite, but there is something to what you are saying, the second ep derelict ship, I suppose parts even of the Harry Mud time loop, and Saru's sisters world with the horrible oppressive ruling fish monsters.
Sleepless nights at the chateau

The Wizard Joseph

Quote from: Doktor Howl on July 13, 2020, 04:57:09 PM
Quote from: Faust on July 13, 2020, 04:51:30 PM

Dude, ep 2 was the classic derelict ship horror.  Every ep was a different horror trope, including but not definitely limited to the ones you named.

Thing is, somewhere, the federation shines brightly.  Somewhere people are happy and equal.  Just not these schmoes.  They're stuck out there, and EVERY SINGLE horror trope is used, but they're federation so they keep on keeping on, because THIS series is about remembering who you are, no matter how bad it gets.

The tropes are horror, the script-writing is Star Trek, and I love that combo.

Beats the fuck out of watching the bridge crew play flutes, anyway.

I stopped watching shortly after they hop universes in season 1 (I knew Lorca was a fuck from ep 1 onward) and have yet to pick it back up just yet. This is by no means a measure of distaste. The shit was too intense for me at the time. It was like my mind just needed a break because it was adding to the existing horror IRL and it was just like too much black pepper, and I LOVE black pepper, so it was like a loooot of it.

I do intend to finish it, if I can get CBS access again.

Quote from: Doktor Howl on July 13, 2020, 05:07:17 PM
What they NEED to do is Star Trek: Howl.

It could focus on the life of an engineering crew doing all sorts of irregular shit to keep an ill supplied frigate making supply runs that gets pulled into high adventure plot, but always in the background as implausible and horrible bullshit orders come down from the bridge.
You can't get out backward.  You have to go forward to go back.. better press on! - Willie Wonka, PBUH

Life can be seen as a game with no reset button, no extra lives, and if the power goes out there is no restarting.  If that's all you see life as you are not long for this world, and never will get it.

"Ayn Rand never swung a hammer in her life and had serious dominance issues" - The Fountainhead

"World domination is such an ugly phrase. I prefer to call it world optimisation."
- Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality :lulz:

"You program the controller to do the thing, only it doesn't do the thing.  It does something else entirely, or nothing at all.  It's like voting."
- Billy, Aug 21st, 2019

"It's not even chaos anymore. It's BANAL."
- Doktor Hamish Howl

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Faust on July 13, 2020, 05:13:31 PM
Eventually fed up of his complaining about the monkeys not leaving his planet, the monkeys bundled Howl into an oil barrel and shot him out past the further reaches of the galaxy, where his continuing mission of exploration each week is both sexy and Nightmarish

I'm going to go back and watch some random episodes of discovery, its possible I missed those individual plots bundled up with the wishy washy red angel, Multiverse, time travel AI shite, but there is something to what you are saying, the second ep derelict ship, I suppose parts even of the Harry Mud time loop, and Saru's sisters world with the horrible oppressive ruling fish monsters.

...who more or less turned out to be the good guys.  Or, I should say, the less bad guys.
Molon Lube

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Faust on July 13, 2020, 05:13:31 PM

Quote from: The Wizard Joseph on July 13, 2020, 05:14:11 PM
It could focus on the life of an engineering crew doing all sorts of irregular shit to keep an ill supplied frigate making supply runs that gets pulled into high adventure plot, but always in the background as implausible and horrible bullshit orders come down from the bridge.

No, it would be an R&D ship like in Discovery, only designed by committee and incomplete, like Enterprise...And the bits that ARE there are obsolete/worn out, like in DS9 season 1.

I would be the science officer, I think, at least these days.  The engineer would always be looking to cut costs at the expense of safety, the first officer just sits in his office and sweats, and the medical officers have Covid 19.  I don't know who the security folks are, because man, do they come and go.  Don't even learn their names, you'll only get hurt.

The weapons officer is explaining navigation to the navigator, who isn't paying attention because she's hitting on that hot new ensign.  The ensign is trying to grow a mustache to look more promotible. 

There are - and I can't stress this enough - NO alien human hybrids. 

Cramulus is the morale officer and Altered is the counselor. 

The Captain hasn't been seen in years.  There in fact has not been contact with any elements in the federation, and not because we've gotten flung out to the gamma quadrant, it's just that star fleet is annoying as hell, so we ripped the commo circuits out four years ago.
Molon Lube

altered

In fairness, it was the captain who did it and everyone else just sort of said "well that wasn't supposed to happen but honestly fuck those assholes, time to get the real work done".

Also, I have a sideline in armory work because I love to tinker with phasers and the last armorer got in a confrontation with Cramulus and went to the last functioning holodeck and hasn't been seen since.
"I am that worst of all type of criminal...I cannot bring myself to do what you tell me, because you told me."

There's over 100 of us in this meat-suit. You'd think it runs like a ship, but it's more like a hundred and ten angry ghosts having an old-school QuakeWorld tournament, three people desperately trying to make sure the gamers don't go hungry or soil themselves, and the Facilities manager weeping in the corner as the garbage piles high.

The Wizard Joseph

I want to be a not-too-bright Ferengi with connections in the black market that are nowhere nearly as good as he thinks and so he's always getting bottom grade dilithium and tainted "bio memetic gel" from dubious sources, but it's the only shit available outside of Federation regulations.

I may also be running a holo-brothel scam on the side.
You can't get out backward.  You have to go forward to go back.. better press on! - Willie Wonka, PBUH

Life can be seen as a game with no reset button, no extra lives, and if the power goes out there is no restarting.  If that's all you see life as you are not long for this world, and never will get it.

"Ayn Rand never swung a hammer in her life and had serious dominance issues" - The Fountainhead

"World domination is such an ugly phrase. I prefer to call it world optimisation."

"You program the controller to do the thing, only it doesn't do the thing.  It does something else entirely, or nothing at all.  It's like voting."
- Billy, Aug 21st, 2019

- Doktor Hamish Howl

altered

"Pay no attention to the bones in the corner."

"I don't like them. Computer, remove those bones."

"I am that worst of all type of criminal...I cannot bring myself to do what you tell me, because you told me."

There's over 100 of us in this meat-suit. You'd think it runs like a ship, but it's more like a hundred and ten angry ghosts having an old-school QuakeWorld tournament, three people desperately trying to make sure the gamers don't go hungry or soil themselves, and the Facilities manager weeping in the corner as the garbage piles high.

The Wizard Joseph

Quote from: altered on July 13, 2020, 05:41:10 PM

"I don't like them. Computer, remove those bones."

"No refunds"

*arch appears, its sharpness contrasting against the shitty holo-resolution*

"Your time has elapsed. Please exit immediately or insert 3 strips of latinum to continue."

- Billy, Aug 21st, 2019

- Doktor Hamish Howl

Doktor Howl

Holodeck.   :lulz:

NO.  There is no time for such fripperies.  There is only time for the hard work of beaming tribbles into the replicator, because that's how science gets managed in the future.

If you want holodecks and brothels, you can tune into TNG and DS9.  On this Star Trek, we've got things to do.

You make. That. Latinum.
Molon Lube

altered

I said it WAS the last working one.

I didn't say anyone USED it anymore. Dead man stink puts a damper on the proceedings.

Doktor Howl

If we can't make a star implode, then what's the POINT of all this stuff?
Molon Lube

Cramulus

How many times do I have to say I'm sorry about Holodecks 1-8 and 10-14???

in my defense, everybody clicked YES to the terms of service; they CONSENTED to what happened to them.

Deserved what they got, IMO.