News:

Yes we're horrible toxic people, because this is 2020's Mental Illness Olympics, and the winners get a free pass on giving life-threatening advice with the bonus of having zero accountability for their shit behaviour.

Main Menu

Open Bar: Curbside Pickup Only

Started by Junkenstein, July 09, 2020, 06:38:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Suu (parody account) on November 10, 2022, 07:50:42 PM
Banned from Facebook again.

This time? The algorithms assuming I'm suicidal and when I refused help, they locked down my account. It's amazing I still have one at this point.

Yeah, that's reason #2 that I'm not going back.
Molon Lube

chaotic neutral observer

This time? The algorithms assuming I'm suicidal and when I refused help, they locked down my account. It's amazing I still have one at this point.
My immediate reaction was "That makes no sense.  Cutting a suicidal person off from social contact would be about the worst thing they could do."

My second reaction was "Maybe someone or something decided that having suicidal people present on the platform reduces profits.  Of course it's not about preserving life. It's about the benjamins."

Then again, I'm assuming the algorithms are actually functioning to achieve some defined purpose*.  Maybe it's all chaos, and facebook is only surviving due to inertia.

*Cue audience laughter
Desine fata deum flecti sperare precando.

Suu

Quote from: chaotic neutral observer on November 10, 2022, 10:50:40 PM

My immediate reaction was "That makes no sense.  Cutting a suicidal person off from social contact would be about the worst thing they could do."

My second reaction was "Maybe someone or something decided that having suicidal people present on the platform reduces profits.  Of course it's not about preserving life. It's about the benjamins."

Then again, I'm assuming the algorithms are actually functioning to achieve some defined purpose*.  Maybe it's all chaos, and facebook is only surviving due to inertia.

*Cue audience laughter

So it let me back on. My guess is that it was a serious glitch, but that's...uncool.
Sovereign Episkopos-Princess Kaousuu; Esq., Battle Nun, Bene Gesserit.
Our Lady of Perpetual Confusion; 1st Church of Discordia

"Add a dab of lavender to milk, leave town with an orange, and pretend you're laughing at it."

altered

The thing I've been dreading finally happened.

I need to get insurance (the state took away my poor-people insurance and I'm basically unemployable), find a thousand fucking dollars a month, or lose healthcare worthy of the term. Sure, going to the office is free, but all my meds are not. And when I tried to cover them myself it came out to 300+ for a month's supply.

So I'm detransitioning. And no more psych meds either.
"I am that worst of all type of criminal...I cannot bring myself to do what you tell me, because you told me."

There's over 100 of us in this meat-suit. You'd think it runs like a ship, but it's more like a hundred and ten angry ghosts having an old-school QuakeWorld tournament, three people desperately trying to make sure the gamers don't go hungry or soil themselves, and the Facilities manager weeping in the corner as the garbage piles high.

altered

Oh, the difference between 300 and a thousand is that I'm on higher doses of most of my meds now and taking two that I wasn't then.
"I am that worst of all type of criminal...I cannot bring myself to do what you tell me, because you told me."

There's over 100 of us in this meat-suit. You'd think it runs like a ship, but it's more like a hundred and ten angry ghosts having an old-school QuakeWorld tournament, three people desperately trying to make sure the gamers don't go hungry or soil themselves, and the Facilities manager weeping in the corner as the garbage piles high.

Anna Mae Bollocks

That sounds...dangerous. Fuckers.

Quote from: Suu (parody account) on November 11, 2022, 12:22:20 AM
Quote from: chaotic neutral observer on November 10, 2022, 10:50:40 PM

*Cue audience laughter

So it let me back on. My guess is that it was a serious glitch, but that's...uncool.

I just got 7 days for imaginary nudity.

Glitch? Or objection to "For Trump to be able to grab the actual documentation and leave the White House, that means Trump was working with somebody who's still on the inside"?
Scantily-Clad Inspector of Gigantic and Unnecessary Cashews, Texas Division

altered

Quote from: Anna Mae Bollocks on November 19, 2022, 01:56:31 PM
That sounds...dangerous. Fuckers.

Exceedingly so. Cold-turkeying antidepressants is a short road to a bad time, insomnia is much the same, and dysphoria is very bad for your mind. But I'm poor queer people, so I'm not mission-critical to the queer community health center.

I might have a lead on a solution, but it's looking like one of those solutions that's really more of a problem transmutation engine. We'll see where it goes.

Doktor Howl

I made it past Facebook's drivers license thing!

In as Harry Canyon.
Molon Lube

altered

Good luck in Zuckland.

I decided to watch a horror movie a friend recommended to me and it is the first time I've ever been genuinely terrified of a horror film. No worse possible outcome. I recommend it if you can get into slow-burns. Like, "Tarkovsky on Quaaludes" slow, but Jesus fuck. There's four things you could count as jump scares, though I don't know if any but one of them counts, and I don't think any of them are particularly scary or memorable aside from "oh wow" factor. It's the slow quiet shit that erodes your sanity.

It's called Skinamarink and there's currently no legal way to see it. I wish I had waited to see it.

Anna Mae Bollocks

Wooooooot! Requested.
I should have known you'd outsmart the jackholes.

Quote from: altered on November 30, 2022, 08:52:04 AM
Good luck in Zuckland.

I decided to watch a horror movie a friend recommended to me and it is the first time I've ever been genuinely terrified of a horror film. No worse possible outcome. I recommend it if you can get into slow-burns. Like, "Tarkovsky on Quaaludes" slow, but Jesus fuck. There's four things you could count as jump scares, though I don't know if any but one of them counts, and I don't think any of them are particularly scary or memorable aside from "oh wow" factor. It's the slow quiet shit that erodes your sanity.

It's called Skinamarink and there's currently no legal way to see it. I wish I had waited to see it.

So creeping suspense, sort of like like Hitchcock but gorier?

Scantily-Clad Inspector of Gigantic and Unnecessary Cashews, Texas Division

altered

Slower, and far more bizarre. Fully half of the run time is spent staring at pitch darkness or trying to look at the outlines of something in the darkness through the film grain. I think it's safe to say less than 30 things happen in the whole film, and I'm talking about a very expansive definition of "things that happen". Most of the film is nothing but watching the dark in near silence, straining to make out things moving or any sounds.

It's abstract horror. I think it's the most abstract horror possible. All the things polished away, leaving an elemental fear.

altered

Oh yeah: Thinking back, there are only two shots with any blood at all. In both cases, you don't see what causes the blood at all — it happens offscreen. I don't think the first one is particularly scary at all, and though the second one is really constantly ratcheting terror up, it's mostly for reasons that have nothing to do with the blood.

Trivial

If anyone is on Hive, apparently you can edit other users posts.
Sexy Octopus of the Next Noosphere Horde

There are more nipples in the world than people.

Cain

Quote from: altered on November 30, 2022, 08:52:04 AM
Good luck in Zuckland.

Cainad mentioned this on Facebook. I am interested.

Suu

Quote from: Trivial on December 01, 2022, 04:43:03 PM
If anyone is on Hive, apparently you can edit other users posts.

They had a massive security breach as well. Not just editing other posts, everything was leaked, from every user.

Mastodon ain't perfect but I can see why more people are into the idea of decentralized servers.
Sovereign Episkopos-Princess Kaousuu; Esq., Battle Nun, Bene Gesserit.
Our Lady of Perpetual Confusion; 1st Church of Discordia

"Add a dab of lavender to milk, leave town with an orange, and pretend you're laughing at it."