News:

Not just a bunch of "Trotskyist, car-hating, Hugo Chavez idolising, newt-fancying hypocrites and bendy bus fetishists."

Main Menu

Open Bar: Curbside Pickup Only

Started by Junkenstein, July 09, 2020, 06:38:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Cramulus on July 20, 2020, 08:26:49 PM
My fiance's mom and her sister have both gotten into The Secret.

Eris, give me strength.

:horrormirth:
Molon Lube

Cain

Quote from: Cramulus on July 20, 2020, 08:26:49 PM
My fiance's mom and her sister have both gotten into The Secret.

Eris, give me strength.

Can you at least ask them how they're finding 2008?

LMNO

Quote from: Cramulus on July 20, 2020, 09:25:11 PM
Quote from: altered on July 20, 2020, 08:31:18 PM
I don't know what either of these things is and I want to be told in a way that is just wrong enough that if I talk about it I'll give everyone who knows about them a fucking aneurysm on the goddamned spot

The Secret is a book about the Law of Attraction, which is basically like secular witchcraft, but they don't see it that way. Think Sigilization, but instead of occult aesthetic, it's Live, Laugh, Love aesthetic. You make a dream board with pictures of beach houses and, because you visualized it, the universe will give it to you. So if you're miserable, just cheer up. Your sadness attracts negative energy, so knock it off.
Quote from: altered on July 20, 2020, 09:30:04 PM
Unfortunately I know too much about the Law of Attraction and its cousins (contagion, recurrence/memory, etc) for that explanation to allow me to really desperately upset people the way I need.

It's too late now, you ruined the only chance i had to greatly misunderstand something

The Celestine Prophecy is to Asian religions as Taco Bell is to Mexican food: a messy and crass approximation of wildly disparate and poorly crafted things, to be consumed by Americans who honestly think it's authentic.

The Johnny

Quote from: LMNO on July 21, 2020, 12:48:40 PM
Quote from: Cramulus on July 20, 2020, 09:25:11 PM
Quote from: altered on July 20, 2020, 08:31:18 PM
I don't know what either of these things is and I want to be told in a way that is just wrong enough that if I talk about it I'll give everyone who knows about them a fucking aneurysm on the goddamned spot

The Secret is a book about the Law of Attraction, which is basically like secular witchcraft, but they don't see it that way. Think Sigilization, but instead of occult aesthetic, it's Live, Laugh, Love aesthetic. You make a dream board with pictures of beach houses and, because you visualized it, the universe will give it to you. So if you're miserable, just cheer up. Your sadness attracts negative energy, so knock it off.
Quote from: altered on July 20, 2020, 09:30:04 PM
Unfortunately I know too much about the Law of Attraction and its cousins (contagion, recurrence/memory, etc) for that explanation to allow me to really desperately upset people the way I need.

It's too late now, you ruined the only chance i had to greatly misunderstand something

The Celestine Prophecy is to Asian religions as Taco Bell is to Mexican food: a messy and crass approximation of wildly disparate and poorly crafted things, to be consumed by Americans who honestly think it's authentic.

At least Taco Bell is good tho
<<My image in some places, is of a monster of some kind who wants to pull a string and manipulate people. Nothing could be further from the truth. People are manipulated; I just want them to be manipulated more effectively.>>

-B.F. Skinner

LMNO

altered

Taco Bell is LEGITIMATELY good for three purposes

Meat in face on cheap
Veggie and meat options on cheap
Colonic
"I am that worst of all type of criminal...I cannot bring myself to do what you tell me, because you told me."

There's over 100 of us in this meat-suit. You'd think it runs like a ship, but it's more like a hundred and ten angry ghosts having an old-school QuakeWorld tournament, three people desperately trying to make sure the gamers don't go hungry or soil themselves, and the Facilities manager weeping in the corner as the garbage piles high.

Cain

Sometimes you just need a good purge.

LMNO

Quote from: Cain on July 21, 2020, 02:37:54 PM

Can't tell if you're referring to Taco Bell or The Celestine Prophecy.

chaotic neutral observer

Quote from: LMNO on July 21, 2020, 12:48:40 PM

They opened a Taco Bell a few blocks from here.  I went there once, was thoroughly unimpressed, and haven't returned.

I saw a copy of The Celestine Prophecy in a department store once, picked it up, skimmed a couple passages, and put it back.
Desine fata deum flecti sperare precando.

chaotic neutral observer

Quote from: altered on July 21, 2020, 02:25:34 PM
Taco Bell is LEGITIMATELY good for three purposes

Colonic

I've heard this said many times of Taco Bell, but I must have ordered the wrong thing, because my experience was entirely uneventful.

(I ordered a Taco).
Desine fata deum flecti sperare precando.

Doktor Howl

Taco Bell is God warning you to act right.
Molon Lube

altered

For the real Taco Bell experience, get the Mexican Pizza or the Beefy 5-Layer Burrito. ALWAYS get the Baja Blast with the food.

You'll be unable to STOP shitting. You'll pressure wash the seat of your fucking pants with it. You'll crack your fucking toilet bowl.
"I am that worst of all type of criminal...I cannot bring myself to do what you tell me, because you told me."

There's over 100 of us in this meat-suit. You'd think it runs like a ship, but it's more like a hundred and ten angry ghosts having an old-school QuakeWorld tournament, three people desperately trying to make sure the gamers don't go hungry or soil themselves, and the Facilities manager weeping in the corner as the garbage piles high.

Cramulus

Stuff on Netflix I think is worth checking out: The Midnight Gospel

made by Pendelton Ward (from Adventure Time, which I've never actually seen)

basically, each episode has two different components... the audio is a conversation with someone that has interesting ideas. The video is almost unrelated, it shows the characters adventuring through this surreal VR simulation.

It's really like two independent shows, one for your left and one for your right brain. Often, I'll watch an episode with my fiance and we have COMPLETELY different impressions - I pick up on the verbal, she picks up on the visual, and then we kinda have to piece together how they're related.

topics include drugs, spirituality, magic--weird shit & heady thoughts

LMNO

I'll totally check that out.

I recommend The Old Guard, if for nothing else, absolutely brilliant LGBTQ relationships.

But there IS more.  There's explosions! And Charlize Theron being very Charlize Theron-y! 

The Big Bad is kinda stupid, but I can let that go.

Cain

Quote from: LMNO on July 21, 2020, 03:11:33 PM

Can't tell if you're referring to Taco Bell or The Celestine Prophecy.

Yes.

Quote from: chaotic neutral observer on July 21, 2020, 03:15:37 PM
I've heard this said many times of Taco Bell, but I must have ordered the wrong thing, because my experience was entirely uneventful.
(I ordered a Taco).

I've actually never been, we don't have it over here. London doesn't even have popular bad "Mexican" food, let alone good, readily available Mexican food.