News:

OK fuckers, let me out of here. I farted for you, what more do you want from me? Jesus fuck.

Main Menu

Open Bar: Curbside Pickup Only

Started by Junkenstein, July 09, 2020, 06:38:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LMNO

Doktor Howl

Quote from: altered on August 19, 2020, 10:17:36 PM
Just give him the gas face if you see him in real life, he'll spontaneously launch his intestines out through his toenails.

If I meet him in real life, it's because he crossed 50 miles of desert to make it happen.

The gas face would at some point be involved, but would hardly be the entire process.
Molon Lube

Doktor Howl

Molon Lube

Cain

So, after hearing about Amazon doing a Wheel of Time TV series scheduled for release next year, I decided to re-read the Wheel of Time series.

AMA about braid-tugging or why shrilly scolding someone with the power to level a continent and is going insane is the best way to handle matters.

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Cain on August 20, 2020, 07:49:57 PM
So, after hearing about Amazon doing a Wheel of Time TV series scheduled for release next year, I decided to re-read the Wheel of Time series.

AMA about braid-tugging or why shrilly scolding someone with the power to level a continent and is going insane is the best way to handle matters.

A kick in the nads is really the only reasonable course.
Molon Lube

Cain

This series would be 10,000 better if it were Matrim and Birgitte Drinking Adventures, with Talmanes as the sensible adult of the group. Actually, for the most part I can stand most of it except for

- Egwene. Just Egwegne
- Perrin and Faile's emotionally abusive relationship
- Every Aes Sedai in existence acting completely insufferably for idiot reasons
- Rand wangsting about women he's killed or caused to be killed, rather than worrying about going insane and the end of the world, which are legitimate concerns
- EVIL RED AJAH LESBIANS
- Everything to do with Rand's harem. Just...why?
- Thom spending like 4 books offscreen, doing nothing. Because that's not a complete waste of an awesome character.
- Sammael Sitting On His Illian Throne, doing the best Orcus impersonation possible by doing absolutely nothing right up until the moment Rand yeets him from the Pattern.
- For that matter all of The Forsaken, minus perhaps Demandred, being absolute morons.

And of course the inevitable slowing down of the plot, which I've hit through reaching book 8.

It does make me wonder though. A lot of the books work through individual character introspection and their inner voice narrating things. They can do a certain amount as exposition, of course, but that is going to be hard to translate into a series, no matter what. And a lot of things won't really make much sense without a very detailed picture of what the characters are thinking at a given time.

altered

In further "can't catch a fucking break" news:

My laptop probably needs RMA'd. GPU failure. Brand fucking new. I'm asking around for ways to sidestep this fucking issue, but I'm not making much headway yet. RMA seems to be the answer. GOD DAMNIT.
"I am that worst of all type of criminal...I cannot bring myself to do what you tell me, because you told me."

There's over 100 of us in this meat-suit. You'd think it runs like a ship, but it's more like a hundred and ten angry ghosts having an old-school QuakeWorld tournament, three people desperately trying to make sure the gamers don't go hungry or soil themselves, and the Facilities manager weeping in the corner as the garbage piles high.

Cain

Urgh. God damn laptops...they certainly don't seem to make them to last, though breaking while brand new is a new one on me.

altered

Also? In the time of COVID, RMA is not too different from throwing a laptop out with the awareness you'll get one for your next birthday.

So I'll be computerless for awhile... again. I'm hoping there's a different solution.
"I am that worst of all type of criminal...I cannot bring myself to do what you tell me, because you told me."

There's over 100 of us in this meat-suit. You'd think it runs like a ship, but it's more like a hundred and ten angry ghosts having an old-school QuakeWorld tournament, three people desperately trying to make sure the gamers don't go hungry or soil themselves, and the Facilities manager weeping in the corner as the garbage piles high.

LMNO

Quote from: LMNO on August 17, 2020, 03:36:45 PM
Hey y'all, just got back from Montana.  The landshark menace has been beaten back for another year.

Now, I need to get a brain tickle and stay inside for 2 weeks.

Brain got tickled.  24 hour turnaround.  Negative. 

Cain

The landshark menace is metasizing into a gang problem thanks to this fuckup

LMNO

It was a tough year, to be sure.  The gang lost three horses to that fucking hammerhead.

altered

Best Buy are an Authorized Product Repair center for ASUS products, so I'm going to be dropping my computer off there soon. Probably today. I'll have my phone, but goddamnit.

minuspace

altered

LuciferX needs to take a high dive head first into a dilapidated quarry.

In other news: Best Buy employee says I can expect them to junk out my tiny laptop after a couple weeks and give me credit toward a new one. And I'll just get another of the exact same one, honestly, because it's a gaming laptop with ten hours battery life and a weight less than 4 pounds, and I am the first person so far to have any SERIOUS issues with it.

(Mostly cosmetic crap and user error is common, no one has RMAd one for a GPU failure yet. Except me.)

(Also, I cant get over how handy it is to have something the total size of two 13" MacBooks duct taped together that can stream video and play retro games for ten hours on a single charge AND smash every benchmark through the ceiling once you plug it in.)

In the meantime, I have a tiny Surface Pro thing with two hours on a full charge of the battery, and my phone. So...