News:

Today, for a brief second, I thought of a life without Roger. It was much like my current life, except that this forum was a bit nicer.

Main Menu

Open Bar: Curbside Pickup Only

Started by Junkenstein, July 09, 2020, 06:38:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cramulus

Quote from: Suu on January 27, 2021, 05:12:11 PM
And the day after my car blew up in the middle of Norfolk, Virginia, I was accepted to a PhD program.

The end.

Congrats on the PhD acceptance!! That shit's hard work!

What program are you joining?

Suu

Quote from: Cramulus on January 27, 2021, 06:13:41 PM
And the day after my car blew up in the middle of Norfolk, Virginia, I was accepted to a PhD program.

The end.

Congrats on the PhD acceptance!! That shit's hard work!

What program are you joining?

It is a 4 year PhD in History, with a focus in Digital Humanities/Public History and Material Culture. So basically my MA on steroids. It's at the University of South Florida, and I'll be within 45 minutes of my immediate family. Since my mom is starting to show signs of early dementia, we decided it was best that I consider getting back to the Tampa Bay area for a bit and help my siblings out before my dad retires. Mr. Suu will completing his career in the Navy here in Virginia.

I've been awarded full funding with a tuition waiver and an assistantship stipend.
Sovereign Episkopos-Princess Kaousuu; Esq., Battle Nun, Bene Gesserit.
Our Lady of Perpetual Confusion; 1st Church of Discordia

"Add a dab of lavender to milk, leave town with an orange, and pretend you're laughing at it."

Cain

The end.

Using PIRA tactics to cow them into submission? Good work.

Suu

Quote from: Cain on January 27, 2021, 09:32:18 PM

The end.

Using PIRA tactics to cow them into submission? Good work.

*Sinn Fein intensifies*
Sovereign Episkopos-Princess Kaousuu; Esq., Battle Nun, Bene Gesserit.
Our Lady of Perpetual Confusion; 1st Church of Discordia

"Add a dab of lavender to milk, leave town with an orange, and pretend you're laughing at it."

Chelagoras The Boulder

"It isn't who you know, it's who you know, if you know what I mean.  And I think you do."

MMIX

"The ultimate hidden truth of the world is that it is something we make and could just as easily make differently" David Graeber

MMIX

A lifetime ago, better known as last September, I had a small pack of 4 stupid lurchers. Then we had to have one put to sleep. He was old, and its something you know is going to happen with dogs, but it doesn't make it any less painful. He was a small broken coated lurcher probably a cross between an Irish terrier and a whippet sent over from Ireland 12 years ago to a local rescue because they couldn't rehome him in Galway which was full of similar dogs. When we went to get him I fell in love completely for another of the dogs in the batch a 5 yr old bitch who looked like a miniature Borzoi. She was scared of everything and had to be picked up and carried to the car. It took us 6 years to persuade her to siit on the settee and she only started to come up and sit with us when she started to go senile! She's very fragile now, her kidneys are going and I ring my vet more often than my doctor, (and I'm not in good nick myself." We are living day to day with her. She's well over 16 so we are getting ready for the inevitable. So last night when they had their tea, they were all fine. By 8:30 Little Nipper, (only 9, and the youngest and fittest, could be a whippet x alsatian with a touch of corgi, and definitely a local Welsh lurcher) was a bit subdued, and by 3am he was dead. So now we have 2, one who is staggering slowly out of our lives in a senile daze and our problem child who is what the Daily Mail and the Sun call "DevilDogs" - Greyhounds crossed with salukis for extra speed and agility, and some sort of bull terrier specially bred to hunt deer. They thrown them out of the back of moving 4x4's with floodlights as they career across the countyside at night to chase down and kill deer. The guy we rescued him, from as a 6month old pup, had been training him so he is a bit odd and very nervous. He adores the old bitch but he will insist of trying to snuggle up to her, and since he has absolutely no concept of his size and no respect for anyones personal space he keeps sitting on her. She nips him in self defence so thats fair. And soon he will be our only dog, and not one who we could really introduce a new dog to.
<sigh> Dogs; you've got to love them
"The ultimate hidden truth of the world is that it is something we make and could just as easily make differently" David Graeber

Cramulus

oof, sorry to hear that... always sad when a furry friend passes

Chelagoras The Boulder

Yeah man, that must be heartbreaking.
"It isn't who you know, it's who you know, if you know what I mean.  And I think you do."

MMIX

Thanks guys, its been a tough day :(

Doktor Howl

I've wiped out at least 50 spambots in the waiting room in the last 7 days, and boy is my index finger sore.
Molon Lube

Cain

Faust

Quote from: Doktor Howl on February 17, 2021, 03:23:52 AM
I've wiped out at least 50 spambots in the waiting room in the last 7 days, and boy is my index finger sore.

Sorry, I've not been about much in the last couple of weeks, will try and clear these out when I see them so its not all on one or two people
Sleepless nights at the chateau

Cramulus

on my cabal discord server tonight at 7:30 EST, we're going to be discussing "Meditations on Moloch" (and probably some of the whole Slatestar Codex fiasco)

PM me if you want an invite

Doktor Howl

Molon Lube