News:

If you can't abuse it, it's not power.

Main Menu

Open Bar: Curbside Pickup Only

Started by Junkenstein, July 09, 2020, 06:38:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

POFP

A rogue script of mine accidentally deleted about $100k+ worth of work from one of my company's Linux OS-Build Servers, not knowing this was the one server that wasn't scheduled for Snapshots. It was also the only Build Server using XFS as the Filesystem, which is only partially supported by most File Recovery Tools and happens to delete Folder Structure information at delete time. Now I'll be spending the next week or so rebuilding every OS Configuration we lost from a Flat Directory of Gigabytes of files  :horrormirth:

Funny enough, the Script that fucked everything up was the Script that was supposed to negate the Local Storage requirement of the Build Server altogether once it was complete. In a sense, it kind of did, just a bit more forcefully than I'd hoped  :lol:
This Certified Pope™ reserves the Right to, on occasion, "be a complete dumbass", and otherwise ponder "idiotic" and/or "useless" ideas and other such "tomfoolery." [Aforementioned] are only responsible for the results of these actions and tendencies when they have had their addictive substance of choice for that day.

Being a Product of their Environment's Collective Order and Disorder, [Aforementioned] also reserves the Right to have their ideas, technologies, and otherwise all Intellectual Property stolen, re-purposed, and re-attributed at Will ONLY by other Certified Popes. Corporations, LLC's, and otherwise Capitalist-based organizations are NOT capable of being Certified Popes.

Battering Rams not included.

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Faust on December 17, 2021, 09:42:35 AM
Quote from: Doktor Howl on December 11, 2021, 04:55:16 AM
Yeah, it's a whole lot of fun.

For me, the favorite age is 4-8.  They're old enough to ask questions, and young enough to want to ask the questions.

I'm looking forward to this, we are at the yes/no stage (everything is no)

There's a cure for that.
Molon Lube

Faust

Who wants a cookie? Oh you don't oh I see.
Sleepless nights at the chateau

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Faust on December 22, 2021, 09:15:58 AM
Who wants a cookie? Oh you don't oh I see.

Ask them a couple of other questions to get the "no"s started.  Then ask about the cookie.
Molon Lube

Q. G. Pennyworth

When you hit the inevitable recursive why phase, I had some success with a "whole questions only" policy. They'll still ask but you take away the reflexive ones that are just to keep you talking.

Doktor Howl

Yesterdays Star Trek Discovery (S4E6) was the absolute worst episode ever made, from any series ever.

I say this as a Discovery fan. 

It ruined my life.
Molon Lube

Cain

I've still not seen it yet, though I saw your comments on FB. I'll give it a watch tomorrow - worst comes to worst I can slip into a food coma to escape it.

Faust

What could be worse then Scottish ghost sex?
I haven't watched  this season since it went off of netflix here
Sleepless nights at the chateau

EK WAFFLR

I'm, for reasons unbeknownst to me, enjoying the fuck outdo the Dexter: New Blood series.
"At first I lifted weights.  But then I asked myself, 'why not people?'  Now everyone runs for the fjord when they see me."

Horribly Oscillating Assbasket of Deliciousness
[/b]

Cain

It is fairly enjoyable. After a couple of episodes it does feel rather like they got the band back together, on the overall writing front. No idea if that's true, but it comes across as the case. And Michael C Hall is on point as always.

altered

Quote from: altered on December 11, 2021, 02:37:57 PM
I'm doing the need-work-need-housing dance again
[...]
"I'm homeless on Jan 1st again, but I got a date coming up"

Update: I have housing for at least 6 months, and I'm working with professionals on getting employment.

With my name change almost completed (you'd get a kick out of the name I went with, Dok, I forget if I ever gave you the full up-to-date one), a wonderful woman I'm going to see again soon, doctors who care, having a place to go, improving my diet, two organizations and a friend helping me find work, on and on and on, I aim to be self-sufficient by year's end 2022 ... and I have both good motivation to aim that high and good reason to consider it doable.
"I am that worst of all type of criminal...I cannot bring myself to do what you tell me, because you told me."

There's over 100 of us in this meat-suit. You'd think it runs like a ship, but it's more like a hundred and ten angry ghosts having an old-school QuakeWorld tournament, three people desperately trying to make sure the gamers don't go hungry or soil themselves, and the Facilities manager weeping in the corner as the garbage piles high.

Cramulus

altered is makin MOVES

PROUD OF YOU, MOTHERFUCKER

Chelagoras The Boulder

If anyone was wanting to canonize Betty White, don't worry, I handled it.
"It isn't who you know, it's who you know, if you know what I mean.  And I think you do."

Cramulus

that's awesome, but where did you get the cannon?

Chelagoras The Boulder

lets just say ive gotten REALLY into DIY during the pandemic.
"It isn't who you know, it's who you know, if you know what I mean.  And I think you do."