News:

I know you said that you wouldn't tolerate excuses, but I have a real good one.

Main Menu

Open Bar: Curbside Pickup Only

Started by Junkenstein, July 09, 2020, 06:38:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doktor Howl

Quote from: POFP on January 21, 2022, 02:26:41 AM
Quote from: Chelagoras The Boulder on January 05, 2022, 12:50:29 AM
Won't SOMEBODY think of the bottom line?

Newsfeed? Or a Disco variant, like:

"PD.com: Someone had to think of the bottom line."

Or even simpler:

"PD.com: We thought of the bottom line."

HIMEOBS:  YOU CANNOT LINE YOUR BOTTOM ENOUGH.
Molon Lube

POFP

Quote from: Doktor Howl on January 23, 2022, 06:40:47 AM
Quote from: POFP on January 21, 2022, 02:26:41 AM
Quote from: Chelagoras The Boulder on January 05, 2022, 12:50:29 AM
Won't SOMEBODY think of the bottom line?

Newsfeed? Or a Disco variant, like:

"PD.com: Someone had to think of the bottom line."

Or even simpler:

"PD.com: We thought of the bottom line."

HIMEOBS:  YOU CANNOT LINE YOUR BOTTOM ENOUGH.

:lulz:
This Certified Popeā„¢ reserves the Right to, on occasion, "be a complete dumbass", and otherwise ponder "idiotic" and/or "useless" ideas and other such "tomfoolery." [Aforementioned] are only responsible for the results of these actions and tendencies when they have had their addictive substance of choice for that day.

Being a Product of their Environment's Collective Order and Disorder, [Aforementioned] also reserves the Right to have their ideas, technologies, and otherwise all Intellectual Property stolen, re-purposed, and re-attributed at Will ONLY by other Certified Popes. Corporations, LLC's, and otherwise Capitalist-based organizations are NOT capable of being Certified Popes.

Battering Rams not included.

Bruno

I have resorted to replying to Trumpist trolls on FB with "Your Mom" jokes.

It's super effective.
Formerly something else...

Q. G. Pennyworth

My brain has been McShitty lately but I'm working on crawling outta it. Gonna post some of the new HN pages here in a minute.

altered

I lost benefits and STILL cannot find work, even with the help of entire organizations, multiple people willing to sell their reputations to nepotize me a job, and more besides.

It doesn't help that I literally lost my insurance as I was finally getting a line on diagnosing and maybe solving my cognitive and memory problems (which if nothing else I now have proof positive are medically significant, the doc said I basically have dementia given the severity I'm dealing with)... which would be the road to getting a normal human job to get proper insurance.
"I am that worst of all type of criminal...I cannot bring myself to do what you tell me, because you told me."

There's over 100 of us in this meat-suit. You'd think it runs like a ship, but it's more like a hundred and ten angry ghosts having an old-school QuakeWorld tournament, three people desperately trying to make sure the gamers don't go hungry or soil themselves, and the Facilities manager weeping in the corner as the garbage piles high.

altered

If day-drinking is wrong, that's okay because the alternative is worse.

To answer the questions:
No, I'm not okay.
Yes, I will be fine.
No, there's nothing you can do except send me cigarette money. (Really, that would be a genuine help.)
No, this can't become a regular fixture of my life, I've made certain of that. (No, for real, it's physically impossible for it to last beyond Thursday.)
No, the alternative really is worse. (You would agree if you knew.)
No, you don't want to know. (There's like, a handful who already do, and they know I'm right.)
"I am that worst of all type of criminal...I cannot bring myself to do what you tell me, because you told me."

There's over 100 of us in this meat-suit. You'd think it runs like a ship, but it's more like a hundred and ten angry ghosts having an old-school QuakeWorld tournament, three people desperately trying to make sure the gamers don't go hungry or soil themselves, and the Facilities manager weeping in the corner as the garbage piles high.

lexi

quit vaping thursday night. not out of choice. not the night before the last work mediation session. day #6 of being too broke to fund an enjoyably self-destructive habit. disability comes in tomorrow, rent will be paid, fridge filled, unemployed. my homes owner placated for the 60 days i have left to find a new roof and employment. over a decade of housing instability like this. i can laugh about it now. never feeling safe. anywhere. another day or so of chewing gum and i'll be together enough to interview again.

lexi

so proud of my eldest kid right now

went over yesterday to meet my ex-wifes-most-recent-ex and now primary caregiver to figure out how we're going to figure out co-parenting, scheduling, etc. worked a lot of things out now we're finally talking - yay, open and honest communication! my son pops into the room, he's writing some fiction and asks us for femme character names. he's giving us both turns to come up with one, but none of them suit. he's not holding back either about how much our suggestions suck - and he's not wrong

just as i'm thinking about how all our name suggestions are aging us - my new co-parent suggests "Ethyl" - so my son calls us out and makes me snort:
"argh, you are terrible at coming up with names - is that why you're both divorced?"

oh, never lose that sense of humour kid!

Bruno

Fred Sanford's deceased wife's name was Ethyl. Her sister was Esther.

That show was pretty intellectual, imho.

rong

Quote from: Bruno on April 05, 2022, 04:42:56 AM

I like when he says, "Lamont, you dummy!"
"a real smart feller, he felt smart"

Bruno

Quote from: rong on April 05, 2022, 01:33:05 PM
Quote from: Bruno on April 05, 2022, 04:42:56 AM

I like when he says, "Lamont, you dummy!"

*Big dummy.

Grady had some deep thoughts.

lexi

i have a rule for myself
about not going online
before i fully wake up
and can check for embarrassing unintentionalities
and today an old friend messaged unexpectedly me 

and i broke that rule - gah i'm such an awk

altered

Today was good. Oh yes, genuinely good. And what a fucking end to my night. I'll just copypaste from Twitter.

It's finally happened. I'm a horror movie antagonist. Really. Oh man. I am so proud of this day.

SO: I go into a gas station. Still have scars on my face from my most recent bout of self-harm. Got my respirator on, and my laptop in its beefy plastic case slung over my shoulder. Wearing my edgy ass long coat, milsurp clothes, fucked up old boots.

"What the fuck is THAT?" The two drunkest men alive come up to me and start gawking. "What IS that?!" In my best fuck-off voice: "That would be ME."

Not good enough for them. They speculate about what I am, "Star Wars fan?" and I stop humoring them. So I'm buying cigarettes.

Behind me: "No, wait, I heard about this. It's like, a life support system. See the thing? Yeah, like, if your heart stops working, you know? So..." Checkout complete, on my way out the door. "--Wait wait, so that's a fuckin dead person?"

Horror movie antagonist. Fucking love it.

Doktor Howl

Quote from: altered on April 08, 2022, 07:06:18 AM
Today was good. Oh yes, genuinely good. And what a fucking end to my night. I'll just copypaste from Twitter.

It's finally happened. I'm a horror movie antagonist. Really. Oh man. I am so proud of this day.

SO: I go into a gas station. Still have scars on my face from my most recent bout of self-harm. Got my respirator on, and my laptop in its beefy plastic case slung over my shoulder. Wearing my edgy ass long coat, milsurp clothes, fucked up old boots.

"What the fuck is THAT?" The two drunkest men alive come up to me and start gawking. "What IS that?!" In my best fuck-off voice: "That would be ME."

Not good enough for them. They speculate about what I am, "Star Wars fan?" and I stop humoring them. So I'm buying cigarettes.

Behind me: "No, wait, I heard about this. It's like, a life support system. See the thing? Yeah, like, if your heart stops working, you know? So..." Checkout complete, on my way out the door. "--Wait wait, so that's a fuckin dead person?"

Horror movie antagonist. Fucking love it.

:lulz:
Molon Lube

altered

My poor laptop, now on its 3rd year of extreme use and abuse, is on its last legs. Ran a battery health check and the last time the battery reported it was at full charge, it was holding 19% of the rated amount when new. Believe me, I have noticed: it dies in under an hour (rated for 10 hours) and the battery heats up sufficient to cook your forearm while its plugged in. Honestly, given the size, price, power and brand new rated battery life, it's a wonder it lasted this long still mostly functioning. I got every cent worth out of it and then some, and it literally saved my life on multiple occasions.

The cost of replacing the battery is ehhh, around 150 USD, but it isn't a task for the faint-of-heart and if you fuck the ridiculously fragile-but-efficient cooling system while removing it to get to the battery, it's game over for the machine. Lift it the wrong way and you've already broken it. I've also been having increasingly distressing errors... Google throwing glitch-puke triangles up on results pages, random freezes and bluescreens, etc. It's just an old machine that was used daily from sun up till sundown, and it's time to shut it down for good here soon.

RIP.

I need to come up with ~1600 for a replacement. I'm not springing for an upgrade, just the same exact model is fine by me, it's just that computers that aren't Raspberry Pis are upsettingly expensive these days. So, uh, if anyone wants to kick in toward an unexpected expense, let me know.