News:

Discordianism:  It is some kind of a communist sect.

Main Menu

Open Bar: Curbside Pickup Only

Started by Junkenstein, July 09, 2020, 06:38:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doktor Howl

Quote from: hooplala on June 16, 2022, 02:59:16 AM
Quote from: Doktor Howl on May 05, 2022, 04:19:19 AM
And while I've been preoccupied with this, SCOTUS basically dismantled Roe v Wade.

They'll be after the Gays next.

Didn't take very fucking long.

Unlike the dems, the GOP understands momentum.
Molon Lube

altered

With all the hateful shit, I'm moving away from Chicago as soon as my therapy and ADHD diagnosis/medication hit a point I feel confident in. It's not that Chicago is bad, it's that Chicago doesn't have enough trans density.

The PNW has some Issues with the White Queers (you know the fucking type) and a saturation of queer abusers, not to mention all the fucking neo-Nazis, but there's enough queer people that I would actually feel safe. If something Bad happened I'd feel like there'd be people around who would step the fuck up. And I wouldn't be minimum 150 miles from everyone I love in the process, or surrounded by young assimilationist queers (Chicago has SO MUCH assimilationist bullshit in its queer community it makes me sick) if I find a cluster of queer people at all.
"I am that worst of all type of criminal...I cannot bring myself to do what you tell me, because you told me."

There's over 100 of us in this meat-suit. You'd think it runs like a ship, but it's more like a hundred and ten angry ghosts having an old-school QuakeWorld tournament, three people desperately trying to make sure the gamers don't go hungry or soil themselves, and the Facilities manager weeping in the corner as the garbage piles high.

Doktor Howl

So.  Ramen CAN in fact explode and now I have some light flash burns and I'm missing my left front tooth.
Molon Lube

altered

Yeah, happened to me back in about November. I got lucky and am unscathed. I treat ramen with due respect these days. Was it the semi-fancy Nongshim stuff that got you, too?

FTR, I'm not riffing or joking, I'm glad you're mostly okay because I have genuinely seen this happen firsthand (at a fair distance).
"I am that worst of all type of criminal...I cannot bring myself to do what you tell me, because you told me."

There's over 100 of us in this meat-suit. You'd think it runs like a ship, but it's more like a hundred and ten angry ghosts having an old-school QuakeWorld tournament, three people desperately trying to make sure the gamers don't go hungry or soil themselves, and the Facilities manager weeping in the corner as the garbage piles high.

Doktor Howl

Quote from: altered on June 20, 2022, 06:35:05 AM
Yeah, happened to me back in about November. I got lucky and am unscathed. I treat ramen with due respect these days. Was it the semi-fancy Nongshim stuff that got you, too?

FTR, I'm not riffing or joking, I'm glad you're mostly okay because I have genuinely seen this happen firsthand (at a fair distance).

Naw, I'm fine with it.

I mean, okay, I tried something new and it WORKED but then it exploded.  This is better than when I cut off a chunk of my ear prepping burgers, because I was at least successful.

Well, after a fashion.  I have no idea where the ramen wound up.
Molon Lube

altered

If it's like what happened with my ramen, it turned to dust and smoke. There was a hole in the porcelain bowl.

Cain

I saw the picture on Facebook! How's the (lack of) tooth feeling?

hooplala

Quote from: Doktor Howl on June 20, 2022, 07:05:49 AM

Naw, I'm fine with it.

I mean, okay, I tried something new and it WORKED but then it exploded.  This is better than when I cut off a chunk of my ear prepping burgers, because I was at least successful.

Tried something.

What did you try?
"Soon all of us will have special names" — Professor Brian O'Blivion

"Now's not the time to get silly, so wear your big boots and jump on the garbage clowns." — Bob Dylan?

"Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)"
— Walt Whitman

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Cain on June 20, 2022, 11:42:57 AM
I saw the picture on Facebook! How's the (lack of) tooth feeling?

Well, the roots have to come out.

Right now I put the pain, if measured from 1 to 10, at King Kong.

Molon Lube

Doktor Howl

Quote from: hooplala on June 20, 2022, 03:35:05 PM

Naw, I'm fine with it.

Tried something.

What did you try?

I figured you could sparge noodles.

Put it in a Pyrex sphere with water and no remaining air space, superheat the sphere with ether, and the water can't boil because of the pressure, so it just migrates into the ramen.  It worked, too.  15 second ramen.

Then the Pyrex went bang at about 15 atmospheres of pressure, squashed my face shield up against my googles, causing me to swallow most of my left front tooth.  Also some mild flash burns & concert ears.

I call it a partial success.  It would have been a complete success if I knew where the ramen wound up.  Not in my yard, anyway.

I am reasonably sure that the chlorine in the water came unglued into O2, adding vapor, which could expand and you'd only need the Pyrex to have uneven pressure for a fraction of a second.

Molon Lube

Anna Mae Bollocks

Chlorine? You mean it might have been OK with spring water or distilled water?
Theoretically. Please don't try it. Hire a magat or somebody else who doesn't matter.
Scantily-Clad Inspector of Gigantic and Unnecessary Cashews, Texas Division

chaotic neutral observer

Quote from: Doktor Howl on June 21, 2022, 03:47:38 AM

Put it in a Pyrex sphere with water and no remaining air space, superheat the sphere with ether, and the water can't boil because of the pressure, so it just migrates into the ramen.  It worked, too.  15 second ramen.

Then the Pyrex went bang at about 15 atmospheres of pressure, squashed my face shield up against my googles, causing me to swallow most of my left front tooth.  Also some mild flash burns & concert ears.

I call it a partial success.  It would have been a complete success if I knew where the ramen wound up.  Not in my yard, anyway.

I am reasonably sure that the chlorine in the water came unglued into O2, adding vapor, which could expand and you'd only need the Pyrex to have uneven pressure for a fraction of a second.

That is, frankly, entirely awesome.

Are you going to try again, maybe with a sturdier pressure vessel?

Is it possible that outgassing from the ramen is part of the problem?  I'm not sure if that term applies to non-vacuum environments, but I'd think the ramen might have some air dissolved or trapped in it, and of course the ramen itself has dozens of little nucleation points.
Desine fata deum flecti sperare precando.

Doktor Howl

Quote from: chaotic neutral observer on June 21, 2022, 03:02:37 PM

That is, frankly, entirely awesome.

Are you going to try again, maybe with a sturdier pressure vessel?

Is it possible that outgassing from the ramen is part of the problem?  I'm not sure if that term applies to non-vacuum environments, but I'd think the ramen might have some air dissolved or trapped in it, and of course the ramen itself has dozens of little nucleation points.

No, this is the sort of thing I feel you should only try once.
Molon Lube

hooplala

Quote from: hooplala on June 20, 2022, 03:35:05 PM

Naw, I'm fine with it.

Tried something.

What did you try?

Quite honestly I cannot tel if this is fiction or whether you really did all this.

I would call that alone a true win.
"Soon all of us will have special names" — Professor Brian O'Blivion

"Now's not the time to get silly, so wear your big boots and jump on the garbage clowns." — Bob Dylan?

"Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)"
— Walt Whitman

Doktor Howl

Quote from: hooplala on June 21, 2022, 03:48:30 PM

Quite honestly I cannot tel if this is fiction or whether you really did all this.

I would call that alone a true win.

I do a lot of stupid shit these days.
Molon Lube