News:

That's okay, I know how to turn my washing machine into a centrifuge if need be.

Main Menu

UNLIMITED Village Idiot Thread

Started by village idiot, August 07, 2020, 05:54:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Wizard Joseph

Quote from: village idiot on August 07, 2020, 07:48:52 PM
Quote from: village idiot on August 07, 2020, 07:44:13 PM
Quote from: altered on August 07, 2020, 07:34:40 PM
Literally, "philosophy" means "love of wisdom"
("philo" love + "sophia" wisdom),
and "sophia" gives us (in a different derivation to English) "sophistry", which is literally "acting like a supporter of the belief in wisdom"
("sophia" wisdom + ("-ism" belief in -> "-ist" supporter of an ism) + "-ry" behavior characteristic of),
but which means "deceiving people with spurious arguments".

Draw your own conclusions.

it's when you can't physically utter a doctor's elaborate in a sentence.

it's like leary says, you must physically wire an idea to the larval's mental framework something similar to that.

hey, i should be a "reality" dealer.

I mean... Con artist is a bit more honest.
You can't get out backward.  You have to go forward to go back.. better press on! - Willie Wonka, PBUH

Life can be seen as a game with no reset button, no extra lives, and if the power goes out there is no restarting.  If that's all you see life as you are not long for this world, and never will get it.

"Ayn Rand never swung a hammer in her life and had serious dominance issues" - The Fountainhead

"World domination is such an ugly phrase. I prefer to call it world optimisation."
- Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality :lulz:

"You program the controller to do the thing, only it doesn't do the thing.  It does something else entirely, or nothing at all.  It's like voting."
- Billy, Aug 21st, 2019

"It's not even chaos anymore. It's BANAL."
- Doktor Hamish Howl

village idiot

altered

Quote from: Doktor Howl on August 07, 2020, 07:46:32 PM
and "sophia" gives us (in a different derivation to English) "sophistry", which is literally "acting like a supporter of the belief in wisdom"
("sophia" wisdom + ("-ism" belief in -> "-ist" supporter of an ism) + "-ry" behavior characteristic of),

Okay, I've heard enough.

Reminds me of LuciferX.
"I am that worst of all type of criminal...I cannot bring myself to do what you tell me, because you told me."

There's over 100 of us in this meat-suit. You'd think it runs like a ship, but it's more like a hundred and ten angry ghosts having an old-school QuakeWorld tournament, three people desperately trying to make sure the gamers don't go hungry or soil themselves, and the Facilities manager weeping in the corner as the garbage piles high.

chaotic neutral observer

If we had noobs appearing more regularly, I might be inclined to draft a taxonomy.  I've been here long enough to recognize there are repeating patterns, so it should be possible to define some categories.

And then, because humans, we could argue endlessly over which category a given noob should be assigned to, whether the original category definitions needed to be redefined, and even if the categorization approach itself was valid.
Desine fata deum flecti sperare precando.

Doktor Howl

Quote from: altered on August 07, 2020, 08:05:01 PM

Okay, I've heard enough.

Reminds me of LuciferX.

Yeah, pretty much.
Molon Lube

Doktor Howl

Quote from: chaotic neutral observer on August 07, 2020, 08:10:59 PM
If we had noobs appearing more regularly, I might be inclined to draft a taxonomy.  I've been here long enough to recognize there are repeating patterns, so it should be possible to define some categories.

And then, because humans, we could argue endlessly over which category a given noob should be assigned to, whether the original category definitions needed to be redefined, and even if the categorization approach itself was valid.

We did something very much like this in 2011.

There was also a checklist of behavior concerning "fighting the power", "Nigel and Howl are in charge of everyone's brains," and "SHAKE UP WEEPLE."
Molon Lube

chaotic neutral observer

Quote from: Doktor Howl on August 07, 2020, 08:22:04 PM

There was also a checklist of behavior concerning "fighting the power", "Nigel and Howl are in charge of everyone's brains," and "SHAKE UP WEEPLE."

Evidence for time travel:  People from the past keep stealing my ideas.
Desine fata deum flecti sperare precando.

village idiot

so, what, it's time to find a deserted island to think about it?

Doktor Howl

Quote from: chaotic neutral observer on August 07, 2020, 08:25:47 PM
Quote from: Doktor Howl on August 07, 2020, 08:22:04 PM

Evidence for time travel:  People from the past keep stealing my ideas.

Same.  All the music I've written was stolen by people before I was born.
Molon Lube

The Johnny

Sounds oddly like the history of the DSM manual (sic)
<<My image in some places, is of a monster of some kind who wants to pull a string and manipulate people. Nothing could be further from the truth. People are manipulated; I just want them to be manipulated more effectively.>>

-B.F. Skinner

village idiot

Quote from: The Johnny on August 07, 2020, 09:07:53 PM

Sounds oddly like the history of the DSM manual (sic)

oh, i can help with that. F20.0, F60.3. what really happened is that i got everything i wanted and lost it later. years long depression and the loss were the final smackdown, i was crying my ass off and then suddenly, without me thinking or doing anything it all just ended. i had no more actual issues, i was free from the pain of depression, i had thought at that moment i'll never be depressed again and i really wasn't except for 6 days under very specific and current conditions. that breakthrough when i was 19 and from my perspective it was an actual miracle, it's like acquiring an extra degree of freedom. over the next 4 years i got HIGH enough to see, or maybe dare imagine "the otherworld".

F60.3 is a crock of shit, the conditions i'm in are very specific. F20.0 potentially too, i've no actual hallucinations, i guess i often jump to conclusions but i don't act on all of them.

village idiot

maybe i'm just in arrested development since i was 19, there's no need to fix anything when you're on a "bulletproof" path.

The Wizard Joseph

Quote from: Doktor Howl on August 07, 2020, 08:20:39 PM
Quote from: altered on August 07, 2020, 08:05:01 PM

Okay, I've heard enough.

Reminds me of LuciferX.

Yeah, pretty much.

Wow.. Yep.
You can't get out backward.  You have to go forward to go back.. better press on! - Willie Wonka, PBUH

Life can be seen as a game with no reset button, no extra lives, and if the power goes out there is no restarting.  If that's all you see life as you are not long for this world, and never will get it.

"Ayn Rand never swung a hammer in her life and had serious dominance issues" - The Fountainhead

"World domination is such an ugly phrase. I prefer to call it world optimisation."
- Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality :lulz:

"You program the controller to do the thing, only it doesn't do the thing.  It does something else entirely, or nothing at all.  It's like voting."
- Billy, Aug 21st, 2019

"It's not even chaos anymore. It's BANAL."
- Doktor Hamish Howl